Tall windscreens

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Tall windscreens

Post by Jarec »

Hi all,

I'm about to buy a tall windscreen for my 2013 pcx 150. On the board I've seen reference to the Givi 323, Ermax +25, Puig and a Givi knockoff.

I'm 6'2" and wear a full face helmet.

What do you recommend?

Thanks! John
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Re: Tall windscreens

Post by Dustoff66 »

I currently use the Givi 323DT, having come from the shorter Givi and the Ermax +25, both of which let a lot of wind hit me in the face. I'm 5' 11" and the tall Givi blocks the wind almost perfectly. A nice breeze comes around my back too on the hot days. I was really disappointed with the Ermax especially after going to so much effort to get it. I had the wind hit me hard in the ears ( I wear an open face with a flip-down eyeshield ), so hard that I couldn't hear anything but that roar. So -- if you want a smoother quieter ride I'd go with the tall Givi.
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

I have a PCX150 and put the tall Givi on it. I am 6' even and the wind blows a couple inches over my head so it should be ok for you. I also have a flip up face shield on my helmet. The air is so still behind the wind screen I removed the flip up and there is no wind noise anymore. I can actually listen to my engine purr as I cruise down the road.
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Thanks, Dustoff. Very helpful.
Dustoff66 wrote:So -- if you want a smoother quieter ride I'd go with the tall Givi.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Fabulous. Sounds like the tall Givi is for me.
stryder123 wrote:I have a PCX150 and put the tall Givi on it. I am 6' even and the wind blows a couple inches over my head so it should be ok for you. I also have a flip up face shield on my helmet. The air is so still behind the wind screen I removed the flip up and there is no wind noise anymore. I can actually listen to my engine purr as I cruise down the road.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Just ordered the tall Givi, http://www.sporttour.com/products/3265- ... -13/?bc=no. Looking forward to installing it with help from maddiedog's instructions.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

First ride with tall windscreen

Post by Jarec »

After and easy installation (thanks, maddiedog) I took my first ride with the tall windscreen from Givi.

The scoot was much less stable around 50 than I thought it would be, at least initially. Might the large windscreen act like a sail and make the scooter more susceptible to crosswinds?

Later in the ride I had it up to its top speed, about 57, and that was much better than it had been without the windscreen. Still, I'm inclined to stay away from highways and even roads with 55 mph top speed are a little unsettling.

John
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

How many miles do you have on your scoot? If you have less than 2,000 miles on it you haven't reached its top speed yet due to engine break in time. We have the tall Givi windshield on both of our scooters and now that mine is getting close to 2,000 miles it is gaining top end speed, which should max out at close to 67 mph. We go on the freeway sometimes and we feel the winds, but I think most of it is because the bike is very light. There isn't much that can be done about that, but the tall windshield on service roads is great. We travel everywhere by way of back roads and it hasn't stopped us from doing a " 4 states in one day" trip. The little PCX is a workhorse and is very aggile but it is not meant to be a cruiser. The windshield and a different seat are about the best options you could put on it to make your journey more comfortable.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

About 400 miles. I'm riding at about 6000 feet and maybe that impacts the top speed.

I tried a Yamaha Majesty 400 before buying the pcx, and that certainly is more of a cruiser. I like the light weight and agility of the pcx. I'm in the learning curve on it, seeing what it can handle or not.

Fortunately, the town I live two miles from doesn't even have a traffic light,it's so small. Lots of backroads but not so many destinations to reach on the back roads--so I'm enjoying the journey.

What four states in one day did you reach, Mel? Must have been quite a ride.

Did you get your upgraded seat from pcx power?
Mel46 wrote:How many miles do you have on your scoot? If you have less than 2,000 miles on it you haven't reached its top speed yet due to engine break in time. We have the tall Givi windshield on both of our scooters and now that mine is getting close to 2,000 miles it is gaining top end speed, which should max out at close to 67 mph. We go on the freeway sometimes and we feel the winds, but I think most of it is because the bike is very light. There isn't much that can be done about that, but the tall windshield on service roads is great. We travel everywhere by way of back roads and it hasn't stopped us from doing a " 4 states in one day" trip. The little PCX is a workhorse and is very aggile but it is not meant to be a cruiser. The windshield and a different seat are about the best options you could put on it to make your journey more comfortable.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I tried my PCX 150 on the interstate at 600 miles and was hugging 69-70 mph on level road with the mid-level Givi leaned over a bit. I think the mid-level helps a little but I am at 450 ft. elevation. o_O I heard the mileage plummets at higher speeds.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Just installed a V-stream on mine
three models available. Since I'm 5-6 went with the lowest
wind noise way down and can see over top
crosswinds a bit tricky though
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I took off my tall wind screen and re-installed the stock one because of cross wind issues. the wind does blow on my body, but, seems more stable then blowing on the wind screen.
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

I'll keep that option in mind, Steph. I might keep the tall windscreen on through the cold months for cold protection, and return to the stock windscreen for the summer.

I'm still at the early stages of living with the tall windscreen. Right now I'd say it's a wash. Sometimes better at high speeds, sometimes less stable at lower speeds because of cross winds.
Steph wrote:I took off my tall wind screen and re-installed the stock one because of cross wind issues. the wind does blow on my body, but, seems more stable then blowing on the wind screen.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

John,

Your Honda video reminded me of this. :lol:

http://youtu.be/7f_19nxNfjs
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

That's why I went with the mid Givi. It does fine at the speeds I drive most of the time and seems to improve the aerodynamics a bit. It also fits the bike style better. I don't notice the crosswind issues like I keep reading about. I also don't notice the slipstream hitting me in the face like some report with the lower screens but I guess that depends on your height.
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

In hindsight the mid Givi might have been better for me. I suppose I could order that, too.
SECoda wrote:That's why I went with the mid Givi. It does fine at the speeds I drive most of the time and seems to improve the aerodynamics a bit. It also fits the bike style better. I don't notice the crosswind issues like I keep reading about. I also don't notice the slipstream hitting me in the face like some report with the lower screens but I guess that depends on your height.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Jarec if you're looking for the mid sized Givi screen, I have a Spanky New one for sale on the forum ;)
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2987
Shoot me a PM me if your interested
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My wife and I have a mid height Givi wind screen also, but we added a section to it to increase its height, though not as wide as the tall one. It worked quite well for summer, but once we put the tall one on this last winter we decided to just leave it on. When I had my Burgman 400 I upgraded the windshield on it also to the tall one. The 4 state in one day run was as follows from Atlanta, Georgia: to Alabama, up to Tennessee, across to North Carolina, down to South Carolina, and back to our home in Georgia. It was a very long day. We got home at night, but we aren't the only ones who have done this. I'm pretty sure maddiedog did it, and a lot of our friends who have Burgmans have done it. We would love to do it again, but my wife's bike has been in the shop for over a month and is still waiting for parts. Who ever heard of a transmission going out at less than 10,000 miles!? I am not sure if they would call it the transmission or not, but it is inside the gearing. They are waiting for a couple of bearings and a bearing collar. We aren't rough on bikes. Her pcx 150 was purchased in August of 2012, so that is about 5,000 miles per year. We pamper them and don't ride much in the winter.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Thanks, Whitenoise, I'll keep it in mind.
WhiteNoise wrote:Jarec if you're looking for the mid sized Givi screen, I have a Spanky New one for sale on the forum ;)
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2987
Shoot me a PM me if your interested
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

That four states sounds really challenging, on a pcx. Easier on s Burgman I guess.

The drive train problem on your wife' scoot makes me glad I bought an extended warranty.
Mel46 wrote:My wife and I have a mid height Givi wind screen also, but we added a section to it to increase its height, though not as wide as the tall one. It worked quite well for summer, but once we put the tall one on this last winter we decided to just leave it on. When I had my Burgman 400 I upgraded the windshield on it also to the tall one. The 4 state in one day run was as follows from Atlanta, Georgia: to Alabama, up to Tennessee, across to North Carolina, down to South Carolina, and back to our home in Georgia. It was a very long day. We got home at night, but we aren't the only ones who have done this. I'm pretty sure maddiedog did it, and a lot of our friends who have Burgmans have done it. We would love to do it again, but my wife's bike has been in the shop for over a month and is still waiting for parts. Who ever heard of a transmission going out at less than 10,000 miles!? I am not sure if they would call it the transmission or not, but it is inside the gearing. They are waiting for a couple of bearings and a bearing collar. We aren't rough on bikes. Her pcx 150 was purchased in August of 2012, so that is about 5,000 miles per year. We pamper them and don't ride much in the winter.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360