rim stickers...

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

homey
Regular User
Regular User

rim stickers...

Post by homey »

What a pain in the arse! OCD blew thru some reflective product with an irritating applicator on 'Shay Whitey' that would not place it where I wanted. Finally just went to local auto parts store for something more flexible and plentiful to practice with... then decided it looks better than 5/16 wide anyway ;)

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: rim stickers...

Post by you you »

homey wrote:What a pain in the arse! OCD blew thru some reflective product with an irritating applicator on 'Shay Whitey' that would not place it where I wanted. Finally just went to local auto parts store for something more flexible and plentiful to practice with... then decided it looks better than 5/16 wide anyway ;)

Not a word. Sorry
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

you you click here--->http://youtu.be/PSKQ3ZNQ_O8
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:lol: Might have been a PITA, but it sure do look nice! I was looking in your video for the PITA applicator. I guess you Crushed the bastard (oops...scusi) :D So homey, what max width tape (mm or ?) do you think we can get away with on our rims, so they still "fit and look" right?"

BTW, nothing happens when I click that link that you passed on to 2yous. Just a little FYI ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

WhiteNoise wrote::lol: Might have been a PITA, but it sure do look nice! I was looking in your video for the PITA applicator. I guess you Crushed the bastard (oops...scusi) :D So homey, what max width tape (mm or ?) do you think we can get away with on our rims, so they still "fit and look" right?"

BTW, nothing happens when I click that link that you passed on to 2yous. Just a little FYI ;)
Yes... you will have to be curious enough to copy and paste the special link I put for 2You's eyes only ;)

Well it's just my opinion but most examples of rim stripping I've seen in this forum and on YT are 5/16" wide and reflective. However if you read the detailed reviews on Amazon you quickly get the idea there isn't enough material to give a guy any practice and the one with an applicator places the product in a manner not of my taste. So I purchased an extra roll of the 5/16th and tried to modify the applicator when it arrived but found I could not make it do anything different on my PCX rims either... I set out to learn the skill free hand at that point.

It's difficult to produce a respectable OCD certified application by hand... but I was getting better each time I tried 8) however by now the product was short and I was going to have to reorder. In the mean time I went to get a 40 feet standard double pin-strip just for practice but SHAZAM! the thin stuff was much more flexible and FORGIVING plus it looked really good to me. Each time you had to back up with the reflective stuff you damage the iridescent material and unlike the 5/16th width it was not so 'here comes Shay Whitey's rim stripe' when I looked at the little wheels.

So I think I'm good to go except it's NOT reflective and some of YouYou's might say what's the point :lol: and then I would have to show another private video of how I feel about that.
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Post by Dustoff66 »

I got a set of reflective black from Awesome Graphics in England. Haven't gotten around to trying to install them yet -- it's been too windy on the days when I have the ambition. Maybe soon.
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

A lot of people, including me, would love to put reflective tape on the rims. I am surprised that some enterprising person or business hasn't came out with pre-curved tape. Maybe even a complete circle to match your rim size. You pull off the wheel and just press it on quick and easy.
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

stryder123 wrote:You pull off the wheel and just press it on quick and easy.
Taking the wheel off would have made it easier :) Just go at this with full preparation and have the time and material to practice and fail. Get plenty of light on the job and know that even after several attempts you will spin the wheel and it WILL still wobble... just a question of how much wobble you will tolerate. Plus if I take the wheel in for a tire upgrade I'm betting I'll have to do this again. Have never received my car back after new tires without some scuffing on the rims.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

stryder123 wrote:... I am surprised that some enterprising person or business hasn't came out with pre-curved tape.
They have them here in Thailand and many other places in Asia as well. I am fairly confident that they are available online.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WORFAB
Regular User
Regular User

Post by WORFAB »

stryder123 wrote:A lot of people, including me, would love to put reflective tape on the rims. I am surprised that some enterprising person or business hasn't came out with pre-curved tape. Maybe even a complete circle to match your rim size. You pull off the wheel and just press it on quick and easy.

they do, still a PITA http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... i6fdd0f2_b
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

just not pre curved for 14" wheels :)
Captain Tom
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by Captain Tom »

I ordered some from this guy. He can do any rim size and has multiple colors. I got red 14" and they fit great on my PCX. He did a little fancy camera work to make them that shinny in the pictures but they are still very good. Email him for special sizes or custom pictures.

Here is a link for 17" rims. You have to contact him for other sizes.
http://www.amazon.com/customTAYLOR33-Pa ... ctive+tape
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

Link to his eBay store where you can choose wheel sizes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/customTAYLOR33- ... 0905550156
'88 BMW R100RT
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I just ordered these through Amazon ... No big deal if they don't work out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088F ... UTF8&psc=1
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

kramnala58 wrote:I just ordered these through Amazon ... No big deal if they don't work out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088F ... UTF8&psc=1
Those will look nice on your scoot, I hope you succeed!