1st Maintenance

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

William T
Year: Model 2013
Color: Red 150

1st Maintenance

Post by William T »

Well I had 542 Miles and decided to change the oil. I used 10W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic. I found the job simple enough and when I cleaned the screen, I found several metal chips. Hopefully no harm came to the engine. I would advise everyone to change oil at least by 600 miles. After obtaiing the service manual from Helms and reading the postings on the forum, especially Eddie C's and Maddiedog, I waffled back and forth between taking it in for the valves or doing them myself. Well after talking to the dealership I elected myself for the job. I found taking the body panels off easy enough but tedious, since I'm retired I took it apart one day and checked the valves the next day. The intake valve was slightly tighter than it should have been, I could have left it alone because it was within the .001 +_ tolerance but the exhaust valve was tighter yet so I did them both. It wasn't particularly hard to do once the engine was in the open, the battery box out of the way etc. The only thing I didn't do was disconnect the fuel line, it is a little harder that way but it can be done. I put the valve cover back on and installed the battery then started it up and looked for leaks. I haven't found any, so I'll sleep well tonight. Tomorrow I'll put the panels back on. I've managed to stretch this out for three days now. It was interesting and it kept me from being under foot. All of you have a safe ride!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: 1st Maintenance

Post by gn2 »

You should not use synthetic on an engine which has such low mileage.
Best to drain it out and replace with the correct oil.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
William T

Post by William T »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to change it again before it gets cold and the roads are coated with salt at that time I think I'll use what I used to use GTX 10-30. I found that this oil worked well in the past. The main reason I want to change it again so soon is because of the chips I found but I have read the forum posts on the use of synthetics during break-in and believe they have some merit.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

gn2 wrote:You should not use synthetic on an engine which has such low mileage.
Best to drain it out and replace with the correct oil.
Some of us here disagree.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

What matters is the type of oil Honda recommend for running in. (US: breaking in)
If it was ok to use fully synthetic for this purpose, that's what would be used at the factory.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I don't see Honda as any more benevolent than any other company. They will (reasonably) use the least expensive product that covers their butt through the warranty period.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Its not about the price of the oil its about manufacturing process and materials used.
If an engine is manufactured to a standard whereby it can be filled with synthetic from day 1 then synthetic is OK.
In the case of the PCX filling with synthetic too soon can cause damage to the cylinder bore.
William T

Post by William T »

How long is the break-in period? The Honda owners manual says 300 miles. I've ridden it under 45 and cautiously until I hit over the 300 then I've been giving it more throttle since then. I was just wondering what period of time is the break-in. If it is longer, why no caution from Honda?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We have found on our scoots that they don't really open up until close to 2,000 miles, though the break in officially I believe is 600 miles. We put synthetic oil in ours at the 2nd oil change, which I "think" is 2500 miles. I haven't checked my manual, and my newest pcx hasn't reached that point yet.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

I'm with the apply moderate loads crowd.

During break-in you want to load the rings. Stop and go city riding is the best (except for those long stoplights) or for country roads you should speed up (to moderate speeds) and slow down, speed up and slow down while riding. Idling is bad as well as prolonged high speed runs which will round the rings. No synthetic oils, break-in with petroleum based oil until 2k-2500 or so then use what you want.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Great post, ;) every one should change their own oil/valve check its easy. Patience is the key.
AND DON'T forget to change your gear oil too.(it is even easier) 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dasshreddar wrote:Great post, ;) every one should change their own oil/valve check its easy. Patience is the key.
AND DON'T forget to change your gear oil too.(it is even easier) 8)

Agree about the gear oil. I was surprised with the amount of swarf that came out of mine

Mind you it probably sat quite happily in the bottom of the housing. Better out of there though
William T

Post by William T »

Be at ease everyone. To be on the safe side I did change back to petroleum based oil. I checked the screen again since I put on another 50 miles and it was clear. I live in a suburban area so it is hard not to ride 50-60 at times in order to be safe. I deploy all tactics in keeping people from driving to close including giving it more throttle. I appreciate this forum whether I agree with all posts or not. It is quite a Democratic way to share views and a like interest. May the Force be with all of you.