Larger rear tire: does it change speedo?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Stormswift
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Re: Larger rear tire: does it change speedo?

Post by Stormswift »

Guys, since we are on tire subject and I may be looking at replacement. In brief my bike was a leftover, Forza nss 300, 2014. No ABS. From week one I felt tires were not holding pressure as they should. I am checking and topping off weekly. I ride once or twice a week, riding for pleasure mainly. I spoke to the dealership andthey basically blew me off (hence nasty review on Google which I am not changing any time soon). At this point I've had the bike for 2 years. Love her. She handles great. Since I am not riding a lot the onece a week topoing off air is a relatively minor annoyance, but still.... So I am thinking an inexpensive TPMS to track how quick tire oressure changes. So here is the question: donoriginak tires Dunlups have plastic or mtal valve stem? It looks metal to me but nowadays who knows? If the loss is really weekly of 0.5 or 1.0 and its is normal- fine. If not- I need replacement and will work with another dealer in the area. I am not into plugging tires or repairing. When I washed the bike with soapy water I did not notice any bubbling.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

One thing to notice is that plastic TPMS on the stock valve stems hit the swingarm or the rear gear box.

I had to put short metal valve stems and grind about 2 mm of off the gear box. There is still plenty of metal.

Basically I never add air, the tire wears out first. I ride a lot.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

That one size up on my 2014 Forza made the speedo spot on!
The orig. size was not avail. in the USA at the time mine was destroyed by a piece of metal.
Scoot no longer read faster than my actual speed.
Fish
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

As for ABS, I think it does a calibration every time you turn the key on. That is why the ABS light goes out after a few seconds of travel.

Does anyone know if this is true?
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

fish wrote:That one size up on my 2014 Forza made the speedo spot on!
The orig. size was not avail. in the USA at the time mine was destroyed by a piece of metal.
Scoot no longer read faster than my actual speed.
Fish

dang, sounds like I should have gone one size up instead of sticking with stock 300 Forza size of 140.70.13. I am happy with the comfort and feel of the Pirelli Angels but it's certainly not as fun of a tire the Diablos are. Those things just love to flick side to side.
:geek: