New Member, New PCX150 owner

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

New Member, New PCX150 owner

Post by socoguy78 »

Hi,

My name is Zach and am going to college in Springfield, MO. I bought a 2013 PCX150 at my local Honda Dealership for $2,600 and only 3 miles on the engine. I'm waiting to take a motorcycle safety class, which are booked up until August. Also waiting for the dealership to deliver my PCX to my house; I only live 1 mile away. That was the condition of the sale I made with them, for it to be delivered sense I don't have a motorcycle endorsement on drivers license. They will not let me drive it one mile away because of the endorsement issue and have no problems with the delivery.

I plan on using it for commuting 3 miles back and forth to my University seeing that my car gets about 160 miles per tank fill up. Ouch!

I got the black model and don't plan to do any mods. I can't wait to turn the engine on for the very first time!!! :D

I choose to get it because of the larger engine size than that of the 50cc models and I don't want to be a traffic headache on a 35mph road to school seeing a lot of 50ccs blocking traffic around my town.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: New Member, New PCX150 owner

Post by Alibally »

Welcome to the forum zach. Bet you can't wait.
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

Welcome along, let us know how it feels taking that first ride! :-)
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

Welcome from a fellow Missourian! My nephew just graduated from college in Springfield...nice town! You are going to love the PCX!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome! Great to have you join us!
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Zach, you did really good with your scoot purchase.
>> Price, check! Low mileage, check! PCX being delivered, check! Appt. set to take a motorcycle safety course,....and that's a Big Check! ;)
Welcome to the forums PCX family. Good luck with the course, listen close and have fun with it.
Be sure to share a photo of your Black when it arrives too! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Ratster
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ratster »

Congratulations!
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

Hi Zach (and everyone), I just bought a PCX 150 yesterday too. I live in San Diego and the dealership was on the other side of town. They had no problem with me riding the 15 miles or so home even though I don't have a motorcycle permit yet. That's probably because I'm an older guy so they don't try to tell us what to do or not do any more. Actually, I rode it again today since my wife's car is in the shop and she's been driving mine. Went down and got a hot torpedo sandwich and then rode out around Sunset Cliffs on the way home.

I'm not as good of a negotiator as you and paid $2995 for a 2013 PCX 150 with 1 mile on it (from the service prep guys riding it). I also got all crazy and bought a $600 Shoei helmet and some gloves. The cost of that thing seemed ridiculous but I guess my head is probably worth it.

I plan on taking the rider safety course with my brother-in-law (he's going to get a scooter too) but he can't do it yet so I'm waiting on him. I think I'll at least go get a learners permit on Friday or Monday so I'll be legal if I ride it in the meantime. I've had motorcycles in the past but never took the riding test so my permits always expired after a year.

I'm 55 and retired, I plan on just riding the scooter for fun or using it for short trips like going to get Mexican food for dinner or that sort of thing.

Edit: Oh yeah, mine is black too. I wanted red but they only had black. So far it's been a whole lot of fun. One note, my wife did not like the looks of it. Too much like a motorcycle, she expected me to get something more like a Vespa but I told her I didn't want those small wheels.
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

Welcome guys. I've had a motorcycle license for over 45 years - can't imagine having to wait before riding the new scoot. The MSF course is a good way to start - some don't allow scooters, so you can always ride their (shifty) bikes.

You'll find that the PCX is a great commuter and a really fun way to get around. Ride safe, have fun, and keep us posted.

BTW, you both made good buys
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I got a motorcycle license in 1964. Then I transferred to other states while in the military, got out of the military and moved to yet another state. Then I went back in the military, moved to other states, eventually got out of the military again, moved to another state and on the last move they forgot to transfer the motorcycle endorsement, so I had to take the test again. After all those years of riding I had to take the motorcycle test again because of a clerical error??!! Well, there is a lesson in all of this. If you are changing states, make sure they transfer your motorcycle endorsement!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

Kermit wrote:Welcome from a fellow Missourian! My nephew just graduated from college in Springfield...nice town! You are going to love the PCX!
Thanks! I'm going back to Missouri State University to finish my psych degree! I've lived in springfield maybe 2 years and haven't seen much of it. I can't wait to take the scooter around on the side streets and really see this city!

zach
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Hi Zach, you did really good with your scoot purchase.
>> Price, check! Low mileage, check! PCX being delivered, check! Appt. set to take a motorcycle safety course,....and that's a Big Check! ;)
Welcome to the forums PCX family. Good luck with the course, listen close and have fun with it.
Be sure to share a photo of your Black when it arrives too! 8)

Thank you,

I need to take a pic and send to my Mother. Funny thing is I called her and told her I was thinking of the 50cc metropolitan or the PCX. She googled them and went wild for the PCX.

Went to Walmart yesterday to look for polish for the bike. All those polishers seemed confusing, but think I will settle on turtle wax. I want to make it good and shinny for the picture.

zach
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

Duggle wrote:Hi Zach (and everyone), I just bought a PCX 150 yesterday too. I live in San Diego and the dealership was on the other side of town. They had no problem with me riding the 15 miles or so home even though I don't have a motorcycle permit yet. That's probably because I'm an older guy so they don't try to tell us what to do or not do any more. Actually, I rode it again today since my wife's car is in the shop and she's been driving mine. Went down and got a hot torpedo sandwich and then rode out around Sunset Cliffs on the way home.

I'm not as good of a negotiator as you and paid $2995 for a 2013 PCX 150 with 1 mile on it (from the service prep guys riding it). I also got all crazy and bought a $600 Shoei helmet and some gloves. The cost of that thing seemed ridiculous but I guess my head is probably worth it.
I'm 35 but look more like 21, maybe that's a reason they wouldn't let me take it. But I hope it's for safety reasons. The PCX was on sale for 2,599. Ended up costing 3,100 with paperwork charges and destination charge. I never negotiated. I think I could've gotten another 100 or so off, but I looked at the pricing at Hondas and private sales for these PCXs in Missouri and found a wide range of 2,000-3,500 depending on the mileage. So I didn't try to price haggle because it was in my price range and it was a middle price for what I saw people selling theirs for, especially sense mine only had 3 miles on it with the new scooters with same mileage going for 3,500. Only good thing about living in Missouri is the cheap cost of living, cheap gas, cheap what ever... but the downside is low hourly wages, low salaries, high unemployment in the country.

I liked what you said about taking yours out to get food! I plan to do the same and show it off. I almost bought one of those expensive helmets, but opted for a HJC modular helmet (180 with a 15% off sale) because it fits my glasses and half the price of the pricier helmets being designed for eye glasses. I do plan on buying a riding coat for 150 there... it's got military ballistic armor and makes me look like I'm built like a brick house, haha But that's not until maybe highway driving and until then, I'll use the PCX like you do.

I'm getting a little nervous because the salesman I bought it from said he would take care of the delivery and ride it to my house, but he's going on a mini vacation tomorrow and am afraid he will forget; I called yesterday and left a voicemail reminding him. Starting next week for a month I will not be in my town. If I get no phone call from him today, I will go back to Honda tomorrow afternoon and ask to speak to their manager about this issue.

I do plan to take it for a quick ride before my trip around the residential 25mph streets. Hoping I don't drop it!!! haha

zach
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

CaptnJim wrote:Welcome guys. I've had a motorcycle license for over 45 years - can't imagine having to wait before riding the new scoot. The MSF course is a good way to start - some don't allow scooters, so you can always ride their (shifty) bikes.

You'll find that the PCX is a great commuter and a really fun way to get around. Ride safe, have fun, and keep us posted.

BTW, you both made good buys
The motorcycle safety course, at the local community college (only on in S.E. Missouri) uses Honda Rebels and a few duel purpose bikes. I sat on a new Honda rebel waiting to finalize the sale for my scoot and I did not at all like how the foot shifter was positioned and how my boots worked with it.

zach
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Zach,

Does he know that you will be going away too?
Was it in writing that "he himself" was to deliver it to you? And "how" it would be delivered? And "what day" it was to be delivered?
I assumed after reading your initial post, that delivery meant using a carrier of some sort. Not thinking He would be riding it 1 mile to you. I'm Not a fan of that. Your bike now, not his. Accidents happen. I will say no more.
Go to the dealer. Face to face is better. You might have misunderstood each other. Besides it doesn't hurt to build a rapport with your dealer, it's a plus in fact ;)
Good Luck and I hope you get it before everyone leaves for wherever :P
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Are you absolutely certain that scooters are not available for the course? Maybe call (or recall?)
If not, would they allow you to use yours? If you have No desire to ever ride a shifty, or you're not gut comfortable doing so, by all means ask if you can BYO. But! If they can provide you with a scoot, grab that! Not yours. (My opinion).
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Zach,

Was it in writing that "he himself" was to deliver it to you? And "how" it would be delivered? And "what day" it was to be delivered?
I assumed after reading your initial post, that delivery meant using a carrier of some sort. Not thinking He would be riding it 1 mile to you. I'm Not a fan of that. Your bike now, not his. Accidents happen. I will say no more.
Go to the dealer. Face to face is better. You might have misunderstood each other. Besides it doesn't hurt to build a rapport with your dealer, it's a plus in fact ;)
WhiteNoise, yeah, He knows along with their paper work lady who takes the money and does the contracts, and the floor manager. I told him it would be fine just to ride it for one mile and I don't have a prob with that. As I understand, and each time I've been in the dealership, they have been understaffed and advertising for employment. Tomorrow I'm going in the afternoon and asking for it and practice for a bit in the parking lot, then have my roommate follow me home as I scoot on the roads. ha I can ride bicycles, and figure how hard can this be for my first time riding about half a mile under 25mph, and the other half a mile around 35-40 mph. There are only 4 turns I need to make, all at stop signs.

So far they have been very nice, and accommodating with giving me discounts and sale prices without myself having to ask for them. Very nice people, except the floor manager is the owner's son and he seems "cocky". But I haven't dealt with him yet. I do agree with you about the good rapport!

Leaving to go to the Ozark Mountains in South East, MO, to Ordain at a Buddhist Monastery to study meditation for myself and for my psychology degree. I want to install therapies in people to help self regulate their selves with out the high cost of long term psycho therapies and big pharm psych drugs with all their bad side effects.

zach
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Zach,

I forgot to say...

It was a verbal agreement and let them know I'd have to have it before the end of this week, Saturday. Was told it would be no problem at all. I doubt they can deliver it Saturday because how busy they get from when I've been there. So who knows... maybe they'll throw in something for all of the trouble to keep a loyal customer who pays cash up front. haha

Worst case for tomorrow, I take the scooter and just leave with it. If they say no to me riding it. It's legally mine with no liens. But I don't see that happening. But just in case there are problems, I'll tell them I will complain to Honda, the Better Business Bureau, and call the local news channels. I've never done that, nor would I, but I've worked in customer service for about 18 years and seen people do this as a last resort to make right what was made wrong by the business. It's always worked from my experiences working with the public as they deal with a business. But if that happens, then a bridge is burned, and I drive an hour away to the nearest Honda Dealership if I need something. But don't think lowly of me for typing this, just got to take care of my business especially when I spent a few thousand dollars on it.

I do look forward to driving it home... :D

zach
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Are you absolutely certain that scooters are not available for the course? Maybe call (or recall?)
If not, would they allow you to use yours? If you have No desire to ever ride a shifty, or you're not gut comfortable doing so, by all means ask if you can BYO. But! If they can provide you with a scoot, grab that! Not yours. (My opinion).

I spoke to the 3 trainers, ironically they were at the dealership last Saturday advertising for the course. All are Honda Rebels, 1 Yamaha 250, and a few duel purpose bikes. I'll use their bikes and learn to shift because I do want to upgrade one day to a motorcycle. I also want to learn more about counter steering, I've done it on bicycles, but never on a motorized vehicle.

Can't wait for the class! another 5ish weeks away!
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

If they don't want you riding it then tell them you're "walking" it home. Perfectly legal to push a scooter without a license. I've actually pushed a motorcycle a mile home (after it died) back when I was a kid.

It's weird though, because the dealer about 15 miles from me, when I was talking to them on the phone and told them that my car was unavailable said "we'll come pick you up". Then I told them I didn't have a license yet and they said "we'll drive you back home with the motorcycle in a truck". But I told them that my brother-in-law may want to go up there with me, he did and took me and I ended up just riding home. They seemed very enthusiastic to get me up there to buy the bike and it worked, I made the purchase even though I had wanted to go try out other scooters before buying one. I got a call yesterday from a lady that said she was the wife of the owner thanking me for the sale and asking how everything was going. I should have asked "What, can't your husband call?" just to be funny. Also got a call from the salesgirl that we were talking to the day before yesterday to check up on me. But it's weird that your dealership isn't finding the time for you after you've made your purchase.