Another hump question

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Another hump question

Post by katschamne »

After my 170 mile trip this weekend I found that the hump did start to become a pain in my tuckus. So today I decided to preform a humpectomy. I took it out for a ride and I found that I actually miss that hump. I felt like when I took off fast I would slide back where before the hump prevent that from occurring.

I really don't want to put out the money for a new seat since I'm not sure if I'm keeping it after I purchase a larger scooter later on this summer/fall. So I looked around on the forum to see if anyone has slotted the hole for the hump to give them a little more room. Maybe I over looked it. If so hoe did it feel afterwards?

Thanks for your help.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Another hump question

Post by ScooterMan »

I drilled new holes (not slotted) my hump. It's a mild improvement. If you're about 5'8" or in the neighborhood, it might help you to lock our your legs straight on the floorboards. SInce I'm 5'10", after the mod I can only lock out my legs if I'm barefoot...which I'm not going to do! Lol

If you carry a passenger, the loss of 3/4 of an inch or so is noticable as pushing your passenger back even that little puts them back on the seat where it's narrower by another half inch to an inch. On a short ride no prob, but 20 mins or more could bum them out. (pun definitely intended!)

And, I didn't slot it, just drilled new holes. Drilled right above it where the curved area starts about 3/4" or so further back. I'm pleased, and can switch back and forth in a minute if needed. I also have an aftermarket seat that works well that I can lock out my legs with, but the rear seat is now virtually useless even for my 11 and 13 year old kids even with their tiny little butts.

Maybe I'll post pics if I get around to it.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I'm short 5'5" but I like a lot of leg room. My husband is 6'3" and we like the seat in the car at the same place which is all the way back. I never carry passengers so that won't be a problem with me. I would be interested in the pics when you have a chance. Thanks.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Ok, will do in a few hours when I get a chance. At 5'5", drilling the holes will/should solve any issues for you. Husband is out of luck if he rides it. Lol
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

As a temporary fix until I got my new seat, I took 2 "L" brackets and moved turned the seat hump to a 90 degree angle, using it as a back rest. This gave me more leg room. I got some thick foam to put over the brackets and taped it over them with heavy duty duct tape...I think it is called gorilla tape. Any way, it worked fairly well. Just make sure the ends of the bracket that you will be sitting on have tape around the ends to keep it from cutting into the seat.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Mel46 wrote:As a temporary fix until I got my new seat, I took 2 "L" brackets and moved turned the seat hump to a 90 degree angle, using it as a back rest. This gave me more leg room. I got some thick foam to put over the brackets and taped it over them with heavy duty duct tape...I think it is called gorilla tape. Any way, it worked fairly well. Just make sure the ends of the bracket that you will be sitting on have tape around the ends to keep it from cutting into the seat.
Mel, I am not picturing it in my mind's eye. Did you happen to get any pictures of it that you can post?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Thanks Mel. I have seen people on the Burgman's and the Silver Wing forums do something similar to their butt stops. I did think about that but when I looked at the back of the hump I wasn't sure what to do. Right now I have the hump off and the holes covered with black duck tape that I cut in a circles to patch the seat. I will looking into mounting it vertically with the 'L" brackets to see if I like this.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Ok, here's my seat mod pic. Hope this helps. =) I help a ruler up just for reference. Looks like it moves the hump back about 5/8" which is surprisingly noticeable!

I cut (arched) the top of the seat vinyl with a razor blade about a half inch on top just so when the drill bit went through from the underside of the seat, it didn't snag the vinyl and potentially start tearing it.

katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Thanks ScooterMan. That's perfect because if I slotted it that would be where it would end up as well. Do you have a picture of the top of the seat as well.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I did that as well. I took it off and took the vinyl off, cut a curve out of the front of the hump and re stapled the vinyl back on. It gives an extra 2 or 3 cm. it doesn't sound much but does make a difference. It stops you sliding back in the seat as well.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

katschamne wrote:Thanks ScooterMan. That's perfect because if I slotted it that would be where it would end up as well. Do you have a picture of the top of the seat as well.
No, but it looks pretty much the same. Just 2/3" further back. Not really noticeable visibly.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402901339.387736.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402901339.387736.jpg (221.75 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402901326.658006.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402901326.658006.jpg (258.69 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Thanks Alibally. I thought of reshaping the hump but I wasn't sure that my staple gun would work on the hard plastic of the hump. Thanks for all the pictures. It does give me something to go off of.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

You need a decent stapler and staples otherwise it won't go through the plastic. Other than that is a relatively easy job.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Here is a quick picture of the mod I was talking about.
IMG_20140616_152538.jpg
IMG_20140616_152538.jpg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Mel46 wrote:Here is a quick picture of the mod I was talking about.
Thanks Mel, that is what I was thinking, but somehow I couldn't picture it.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
JLP
Color: None more black

Post by JLP »

Yeah, I did the mod shown here to move the hump back just that little bit, and it made all the difference. I'm about 5' 11."

Thanks Internet.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Thanks everybody. I will have to see if my staple gun will work I have a couple so I may try and see if either one works. I still have the hump off for now but I'm still not liking it.