Variator for 125

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Variator for 125

Post by logepoge1 »

Sorry maddiedog if this is double posting but I have searched and having problems finding an answer to this. I see tons of posts for 150cc variator snit questionable ones for 125.

So I know this may start a debate, but what should I do as far as variator upgrade? What works? I know how to change it but what is a good one for pcx 125?

The only mod I have done to my scooter is removing the air filter snorkel, and that's it.

So what combination of sliders and variator is good for me? I really just want to keep up with traffic on the highway here which is 65mph but I do want some extra power in storage if I need it
ImageImage
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Variator for 125

Post by dasshreddar »

the variator is about the only thing that is the same for the 125 and the 150... just the weights are different.

65mph and extra, sounds too much for a 125 with only a variator mod.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Yeah I know. Looking to slowly mod it. All I've done so far was the air snorkle
ImageImage
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

This snorkel mod really help something? I can't see any diference... In my honest opinion it's better have it so the air get in the air box directly and with some pressure.
I have an aftermarket filter and exhaust and the snorkel is directed to the conic filter.
Other PCX users told the same: with aftermarket exhaust and air filter the snorkel must be installed.

Cheers
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Hmm. I removed it to make it louder since I live on a college campus
ImageImage
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

I agree with the extra noise but for that purpose would be better an exhaust.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Cheaper
ImageImage
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Obvious but you only have noise when you accelerate and exhaust it's allways there even at idle.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Again. This was free. Let's stick to the topic please and keep meaningless conversation somewhere else
ImageImage
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Whoa loge, I think he's just trying to help you :) right? There are experienced folks here willing to share some knowledge. Be careful with your upgrades/modding make sure you know what you're doing and in proper order.
I'm of no help to you loge, not my thing sorry. Where have you been lately? School crazy? Welcome back ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Sorry if my reply was harsh. The snorkel was way off topic from the variator question though. I wish I were on more often. New job as software developer + full time student equals a lot of time doing work. Just got back to riding my scooter again too. Been too cold and I live on campus so I like to walk when I can. With all the one ways it is faster to walk than ride some places. But I've been riding it much more recently because my trailblazer only gets 14 mpg and my scooter gets 75 so I chose the 75. I'm just trying to find ways to keep up on the highway. Lose a bit of weight is on that list but also a couple of other things. I actually only got it to 59 yesterday. But with the job I have more money to play with my toys. Seriously thinking about upgrading to atleast a 250cc(maybe a honda cbr)?
ImageImage
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yikes, you are busy. Good on you for keeping up with school while working too! Cheers! (emoticon clapping & beer held high).
So, you might consider more cc's...any interest in the Forza? Wait, I remember you posted a pic awhile back with your scoot hanging on campus with shifty's. PCX feeling out of place a bit? Maybe? Wanting more zoom, zoom and going where? As always, up to you guy. :? Be careful that hard earned mean green don't burn a hole in yer pocket, hang on to it. It feel real good now, don't it? Look good too! 8)
Your dang right about the weather! Ah, I think you've probably read a bit of bitchin' from me 'bout it. Sun's been out some so I'm backing off complaining. Heck, now I don't has a bike! What up with that?!
Loge, I am taking this way off topic now. Best you tell me what fer and to move on! So be it, I will :D good evening
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I may consider a forza for the right price. I got my 125 for 2500 with the extended warranty and only 65 miles. I have now had for a year and I'm at 3000 almost. I've had recommendations for a honda shadow being a good starter. I really don't want to ditch the pcx. I love it and it gets great attention. My coworker said it looks like a sport bike and moped had a baby. I should have atleast got the 150 I guess but there is no scooter culture in north louisiana. Hard to find. Only other scooters on campus are the $600 china specials. I have the luxury scooter. Though I did see a honda elite one day and he started chatting(the operator). Move into a house next month so gonna wait to get settled. Plan to keep it for atleast another year since they are cheap to buy in winter. Then sell mine around tax time if I decide I don't want to keep it
ImageImage
Waltercito1947

Post by Waltercito1947 »

Hi guys. Have no experience with upgrades as I have no contact with other PCX owners where I live (and no supply source - I live in South America.) Are there known issues with the variator on the PCX 125? Is a variator upgrade suggested by those with experience? If so, what would be a good choice for a new one (moderately priced!)? Thanks.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

dasshreddar wrote:the variator is about the only thing that is the same for the 125 and the 150... just the weights are different.

65mph and extra, sounds too much for a 125 with only a variator mod.
Stock Mk2 125 is good for at least 65 with a 100 kg rider and a bit more with a 75 kg rider.

With performance variator between 115 and 125 kph depending on rider weight and rear tire size. 115 if you weigh 100kgs and use Michelin City grips, 128 if you weigh 75 kgs and use IRC rear tire. ( don't have info on exactly which IRC tire)

More impressive depending on ones needs is that on a 980m Kart track http://cabodomundo.planetaclix.pt/apista.htm the variator knocked 9.8 seconds off the lap time with a 75 kg rider and 8.4 seconds off with a 100kg rider.

I don't have any info on the 150 as it is not available in that market.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

So what are some good variator/weight combos for the pcx 125
ImageImage
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

IS your bike a Mk1 pre 2012 125 or Mk2 post 2012?

How far do you want to ride at 105 kph or 65 mph.

Uphill is different from the flat. Is Louisiana flat?

How much do you weigh?

Sorry to obsfucate.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I'm gonna guess mk1 as I've never heard that term before. Title says 2011. Not far, maybe 20-30 miles. Mixture of both flat and hilly where I ride. 215
ImageImage
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

I ask because maintaining 65 on hills maybe impossible depending on grade. 5% grade and your speed will drop to 90 if you weight 100kgs and 100kph if you weight 70 kgs.

These from a Mk 11 125 but should be very similar as the power output is about the same. New one is a tiny, tiny bit more but in the real world?

Here is a video of a guy in Portugal on a 125 going up hills.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/SCFcJKVIqcw[/youtube]
I do the same up hill. Mine even if I take balance drops to 90...
Sorry gave up trying to embed the Youtube.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

I advice to install a Polini Torque spring. I've installed mine yesterday and huge diference when you start to uphill.

MCosta, the guy in the last video, had Polini vario with Dr. Pulley sliders on it and the torque spring or full clutch... I know that he shortened the vario boss and other secrets I think.

He is heavier than me and you can see that the PCX doesn't drop below 100kph and mine does. I don't know now. I have to try that same hill to check the diference. It's a very big hill!!