How-To: Valve Adjustment for Honda PCX

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

J.Cervera
Year: 2012
Color: White

Re: How-To: Valve Adjustment for Honda PCX

Post by J.Cervera »

The best How-to ever. Thanks.
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

Let me be the next to say "Thank you" for this write up. I am still torn apart in the garage, but valves were barely if any off. It's ok, always fun to tear apart a new machine and get to know how it works, so not a total waste of time. The reason, it's still apart is because I'm waiting on the right fairing panel to replace while the whole thing is apart. 2013 PCX 150 lots of hidden screws in the front end.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Impressive that anyone knowing this, would still buy this scooter!
The HONDA name has created a huge following.
No wonder so few owners ever get this check.... (according to my local all-Honda dealer)
Fish
rmuzhikov
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by rmuzhikov »

Does anybody try to adjust valves without removing plastic, like shown on photo?
Attachments
Wkmmmr2t3Xs.jpg
Wkmmmr2t3Xs.jpg (134.02 KiB) Viewed 5887 times
fLE210dXKE0.jpg
fLE210dXKE0.jpg (138.05 KiB) Viewed 5887 times
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Post by Lafree »

Hi, looks good how did you find tdc through the plug hole, also you removed seat bucket to hoist from frame.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Lafree wrote:Hi, looks good how did you find tdc through the plug hole, also you removed seat bucket to hoist from frame.

Interesting. Good find.

The alternative, other than removing all the plastics, would be to find a way to remove the under seat tub.
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by zroger73 »

EddieC wrote:turn the crankshaft COUNTER CLOCKWISE until the index mark and the cutout on the fan line up...
Just to clarify, that's counterclockwise if turning the crankshaft from the left side using the nut.

If turning the crankshaft on the right side using the fins on the radiator fan, you turn clockwise.

If it's easier to remember, always turn the crankshaft in the same direction that the wheels turn when you're driving.

I mention this because the video below on YouTube shows turning the crankshaft the wrong direction at the 16:50 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ierh8gBeuLg
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

zroger73 wrote:
EddieC wrote:turn the crankshaft COUNTER CLOCKWISE until the index mark and the cutout on the fan line up...
Just to clarify, that's counterclockwise if turning the crankshaft from the left side using the nut.

If turning the crankshaft on the right side using the fins on the radiator fan, you turn clockwise.

If it's easier to remember, always turn the crankshaft in the same direction that the wheels turn when you're driving.

I mention this because the video below on YouTube shows turning the crankshaft the wrong direction at the 16:50 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ierh8gBeuLg

LOL it depends on which side of the bike you are working the rotation from. The SM has you turning clockwise with a socket wrench on the crankshaft. But its hard to see the timing marks when you're on the other side of the bike working alone. That's why I turned the crank with the finned flywheel instead. To be honest you could break a fin so get a buddy and work together I guess.

I do love what you've done with the service here... now go tell Honda how its done ROFL
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Bronze

Post by zroger73 »

homie wrote:LOL it depends on which side of the bike you are working the rotation from. The SM has you turning clockwise with a socket wrench on the crankshaft. But its hard to see the timing marks when you're on the other side of the bike working alone. That's why I turned the crank with the finned flywheel instead. To be honest you could break a fin so get a buddy and work together I guess.

I do love what you've done with the service here... now go tell Honda how its done ROFL
The 2013-2017 SM has you turn the crankshaft COUNTERCLOCKWISE (as viewed from the left side) using the nut.

"Rotate the crankshaft [3] counterclockwise slowly and
align the cut out ("T" mark) [4] of the cooling fan with the
index mark [5] on the crankcase."

The 2019 has you turn the radiator cooling fan CLOCKWISE (as viewed from the right side) using t

"Rotate the cooling fan clockwise align the cutout ("T"
mark) [1] of the cooling fan with the index mark [2] on
the crankcase."

Either method will result in the engine turning "forward" (the same direction as the wheels). The problem with the YouTube video I mentioned is that at the 16:50 mark he's clearly turning the engine the wrong direction by saying to turn "counterclockwise" while he's on the right (radiator) side of the scooter and pushing DOWN on the BACK of the radiator cooling fan fins which is turning the engine backwards and opposite of what the SM instructs.
Attachments
2019.jpg
2019.jpg (301.04 KiB) Viewed 5816 times
2013-2017.jpg
2013-2017.jpg (256.41 KiB) Viewed 5816 times
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Groan....I just checked my valves on the 2015 pcx. Turned the nut clockwise.

Now I have to pull it apart and do it over again!
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

As long as it’s at TDC after the compression stroke (both valves are slack & off the cam’s lobes), why should it matter? Are you concerned about lag due to slack in the timing chain if the TDC is approached from the wrong direction ?
RobV
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Post by RobV »

Is it possible to check valve clearances without removing the entire body? it seems like a massive job for something that needs to be done regularly. I've seen one pic (unable to re-find it) where the rear shocks were disconnected and the engine pivoted into view - most of the body seemed still attached. If the bike is on a stand can you get at the head from underneath? I would not be adverse to modifying the body work to make it easier...
se7enx

Post by se7enx »

zroger73 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:08 pm
homie wrote:LOL it depends on which side of the bike you are working the rotation from. The SM has you turning clockwise with a socket wrench on the crankshaft. But its hard to see the timing marks when you're on the other side of the bike working alone. That's why I turned the crank with the finned flywheel instead. To be honest you could break a fin so get a buddy and work together I guess.

The 2013-2017 SM has you turn the crankshaft COUNTERCLOCKWISE (as viewed from the left side) using the nut.

"Rotate the crankshaft [3] counterclockwise slowly and
align the cut out ("T" mark) [4] of the cooling fan with the
index mark [5] on the crankcase."

The 2019 has you turn the radiator cooling fan CLOCKWISE (as viewed from the right side) using t

"Rotate the cooling fan clockwise align the cutout ("T"
mark) [1] of the cooling fan with the index mark [2] on
the crankcase."

Either method will result in the engine turning "forward" (the same direction as the wheels). The problem with the YouTube video I mentioned is that at the 16:50 mark he's clearly turning the engine the wrong direction by saying to turn "counterclockwise" while he's on the right (radiator) side of the scooter and pushing DOWN on the BACK of the radiator cooling fan fins which is turning the engine backwards and opposite of what the SM instructs.
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum :) First of all, I would like to thank you for all the informative contributions. These help a lot with the maintenance of a Honda PCX.

Can someone tell me from which workshop manual zroger73 posted screenshots regarding the valve settings are (2019 Version)?

I would like to buy the book, but I'm not sure if it is Haynes or Cyclepedia or Helminc or any other?

Thank you very much for your Help! And Keep the Good work :)
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Silver

Post by dankly1 »

Helm Inc. is the place to go for all Honda factory service manuals.

https://www.helminc.com/helm/search_ser ... ss%5F2=AHC

Cheers
Dankly
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
Iron Butt Association #80052
se7enx

Post by se7enx »

Dear community,

I would like to adjust the valves myself on my Honda PCX 125. I've already seen some English language videos on Youtube and since yesterday I'm the proud owner of a Haynes repair manual.

Unfortunately, it is not yet clear to me how to find the top dead center on the 2019 model.
The Haynes instructions describe removing the crankcase cover and valve cover and then turning the crankcase nut clockwise until the markings on the valve housing match.

However, some instructions mention that the 2019 model should be turned counterclockwise. What is right?
In addition, some instructions describe that you also have to pay attention to the marking on the cooling wheel. However, this note does not appear in the Haynes instructions at all, is this check necessary? There, the cutout of the cooling wheel should match a marking on the housing.

Last but not least, I found out that there should be two top dead centers and that the right one is reached when the rocker arms moving a little bit.

Maybe someone can enlighten me.

I am very grateful for every tip!

best regards
Jan
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Re: How to: Valve Adjustment for Honda PCX

Post by grndslm »

EddieC wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:51 pm Just did another valve check this morning. I waited about 4300 miles since my last one. Everything was exactly in spec and didn't need to be adjusted at all!. I think people will be fine doing the valve adjustment every 5000 miles. However, I would still be sure to do the first two on schedule (600 mile and 2500 mile) while breaking in the engine seeing that thats when both my friend and myself needed adjustments.
I've ridden 21k miles on my 2013... and over 10k on my 2016....

Never even looked at the valve clearance yet. But like someone else said... If it's out, I think I'd hear it.

Doesn't seem worth the time to check, honestly.

If I had the newer 4 valve version, I'd probably check by around the 20k mile mark. Honda is amazing. That is all...