Starting problem-requires rear brake to squeeze hard

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

atesci

Starting problem-requires rear brake to squeeze hard

Post by atesci »

Dear Friends,

I own a 2014 Honda PCX 125. I installed a pair of aftermarket CNC brake levers recently. Until then, bike starts with extensive squeezing force to the rear brake lever. It used to start easily with moderate lever squeezing with the original lever.
Aftermarket levers do the job excellent, actually feeling the brakes are lighter and better than the originals. I spend less squeezing power to brake.
I will install back the original and give it a try but though I would ask you guys anyway.
Any ideas?
Last edited by atesci on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently own:
1999 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2013 Honda PCX 125
2014 Honda PCX 125
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Starting problem-requires rear brake to squeeze hard

Post by pcx man »

Try the front brake. My pcx 150 starts using front or rear brake. Also if you adjusted the rear brake that would make it harder.
atesci

Post by atesci »

Thanks for the reply. I freed the brake cable from the wheel when installing the lever. I pressed the brake with freed cable in order to give free length to the cable so that I would be able to change easily, which worked fine. I adjusted the brake, took the free play from the lever to normal. Then this thing started the happen with new lever..I will check again...
Currently own:
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2013 Honda PCX 125
2014 Honda PCX 125
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

2014?
ImageImage
atesci

Post by atesci »

2014....just picked it last week...
I live in Istanbul, TURKEY.
Currently own:
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2013 Honda PCX 125
2014 Honda PCX 125
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

atesci wrote:Thanks for the reply. I freed the brake cable from the wheel when installing the lever. I pressed the brake with freed cable in order to give free length to the cable so that I would be able to change easily, which worked fine. I adjusted the brake, took the free play from the lever to normal. Then this thing started the happen with new lever..I will check again...

Funnily enough I've just fitted some new levers and my bike has started to do this too...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Where's the ignition (brake operated) switch located? By the break lever itself or some distant part of the cable assembly?
atesci

Post by atesci »

**********PROBLEM SOLVED***********

Dear Friends,

I solved the problem. Let me tell you first, It is also possible to start the bike without lever effort at all (if preferred).

Here is how: (My PCX is a 2014 125cc European version-US models may be different configuration)

When you remove the brake lever, take a look at the bottom side of it you will notice two spurs with different widths.

On the brake switch housing, there are two needle switches, short needle switch controls the brake light, the other is for squeeze level. On the lever, one spur controls the rear brake needle switch and the other spur drives the longer needle switch on and off after the lever is squeezed to a certain level.
With the brake lever removed, bike starts right up when you press the starter button because the squeeze switch is not pushed in by the lever. This means that the relative position of the squeeze control switch spur makes the deal.

In the aftermarket lever I installed, the spur position was a bit to the ''squeeze hard'' side so that the bike would start with excess squeezing.

What I did was: using adjustable wrench, I bent the spur to the opposite direction of the switch needle ( I could have broken it off completely so the bike would start without lever action). Now the bike starts with a little lever pull, even less than the original.

I took pics but cannot upload here. It says ''The extension is not allowed'' Any ideas how I can upload?

Happy riding to you all...
Last edited by atesci on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently own:
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2013 Honda PCX 125
2014 Honda PCX 125
atesci

Post by atesci »

iceman wrote:Where's the ignition (brake operated) switch located? By the break lever itself or some distant part of the cable assembly?
By the handlebar left switch housing... Whole deal is within this housing...
Currently own:
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2013 Honda PCX 125
2014 Honda PCX 125