Maddiedog's 170cc PCX

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

gia
Year: 2013
Color: white

Re: Maddiedog's 170cc PCX

Post by gia »

Or this one from the PCX150 : 16450-KZY-701 ?
PCX170 2013
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Reaper wrote:If your stock injector is not maxing out (inj duty cycle less than 90% at full load), you can keep using it. But, in theory, the engine capacity is 36% more now, so you need about 36% more fuel.
Your EFI system is now fighting to keep the same AFR, in other words ECU tells to injector to throw more fuel in the engine, and, the injector could me maxed out.
Actually, the injector doesn't have to max out for the added displacement to be running lean. The stock fuel computer only has a certain amount of global fuel trim that can be applied. And this is based solely on the feedback from the O2 sensor since there is no air mass sensor in this simple EFI system. It computes air mass only by inference from a map based on the Manifold Absolute Pressure, Intake Air Temp, And Throttle Position. Installing a big bore kit will undoubtedly take the mixture right off the map lean. Not because the injector is maxed out necessarily, but because the correction program is maxed out. Installing an injector with a 36% greater flow rate would put the mixture right back in the middle of the maps. Until you change the cam. Which changes the rpm at which certain amounts of air is flowing. The only way to correct this and really get the mixture dialed in at all rpm's is with a good wide band fuel mixture logger and a fuel mapper like the Bazzaz. Which would probably have enough range to correct the mixture even with the stock injector.
gia

Post by gia »

It rides fine with the stock injector. The only problem i have is that the idle speed is to low. It stop the engine 7/10 when i turn off the gas trothle. I can't find where i can correct it to turn higher RPM on the idle speed. :cry:
PCX170 2013
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

gia wrote:It rides fine with the stock injector. The only problem i have is that the idle speed is to low. It stop the engine 7/10 when i turn off the gas trothle. I can't find where i can correct it to turn higher RPM on the idle speed. :cry:
That is because you are way off the map and it is now running very lean. The adaptation that is built in to the stock ecu barely has enough range to properly correct for an exhaust which makes about an 8% improvement in power on these bikes. It is not even close to making up for a 36% increase in displacement.
gia

Post by gia »

It schould than be fine when i change the injector, or not?
PCX170 2013
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

It would only be correct again if the injector had exactly 38% percent higher flow calibration to match up with the increased displacement. Major engine mods like these require a wide band dyno session to really get the most out of them without causing new problems.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Wow, it's been awhile. My PCX is still going strong. It's definitely broken in now, but is no chainsaw like PCXDemon's. The kit is at around 3k miles now.

I need to add a tach and do some tuning, I think my variator is holding me back now. I'm unsure though. I really should drop in the cam, it will definitely make a difference and I already have it sitting in my garage, but I feel like if I do decide to drop in the cam, I really need to get some sort of fuel controller to make sure I don't run lean... Talk about opening a can of worms... :lol:

Anyways, I finally got around to finishing the two howtos that went with my build, so you can repeat what I've done (and maybe even do it better if you're willing to spend extra on the ficon, exhaust, and intake). Here is the finally completed how-to for the big bore kit, and here is the how-to for the upgraded gearing. I hope all of you on this subforum find them helpful. 8)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Deff go for it Maddie, cam will pep it up quite nicely. You don't have a big tb so you will have absolutley no dramas running 170 with only bigger injector. I ran mine including 31mm tb and pod on top of it with only an injector and per my afr meter it was within acceptable specs.
No need to remove head for the job, get the piston/crank aligned to their markers,pull the water pump out, release the chain tensioner,undo the cam chain sprocket and pull it out while using piece of wire holding the chain down. Then pull the cam out and slide in takegawa one, with or without decomp ( I got no drama not using one), adjust the valve clearance and put back together in order..piece of cake!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

maddiedog / Pcxdemon - you both amaze me - the mechanical things you two get involved with, so far ahead of what I could do - my limit is about oil, spark plug and air filter and so far I have not done any of those, but the time is fast approaching (about 4100 miles on the clock) :)
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Performance
hey mad dog I live next door to a Subaru rally racing team
these guys do anything to get performance out small displacement motors
just don't do too fast
cause it will hurt
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

Pcxdemon wrote:Deff go for it Maddie, cam will pep it up quite nicely. You don't have a big tb so you will have absolutley no dramas running 170 with only bigger injector. I ran mine including 31mm tb and pod on top of it with only an injector and per my afr meter it was within acceptable specs.
No need to remove head for the job, get the piston/crank aligned to their markers,pull the water pump out, release the chain tensioner,undo the cam chain sprocket and pull it out while using piece of wire holding the chain down. Then pull the cam out and slide in takegawa one, with or without decomp ( I got no drama not using one), adjust the valve clearance and put back together in order..piece of cake!
No drama, but isn't it sort of like trying to breathe through a straw?

Now I'm not sure if the TB on a 125 is any more narrow than a TB on a 150, but you have to figure a jump from 125 to 170 is pretty big.