Scooter sitting in rain, how to dry out?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

yttikeiram

Scooter sitting in rain, how to dry out?

Post by yttikeiram »

Unfortunately, I didn't get a scooter cover for my husband's scooter yet. We had quite a bit of rain here in SoCal the last few days. We don't have a garage, either. I've done a bit of reading, and it looks like the scooter should be OK (until I get a cover) if I dry it out properly. I also found out it may be a good idea to weatherproof your electrical connectors, preferably with something called Corrosion X. Naturally, I have a few questions:

Should you weatherproof other parts of your scooter besides the electrical connectors? If so, what parts, and with what product?

I read you should take apart your scooter to dry it out:

For those who are anal about drying out your scoot, can you list all of the parts you make sure are absolutely dry? Also, do you literally take apart the whole scoot?

Finally, how often should this be done if it gets caught in the rain? If I wait a few days to do this, will it be harmful? Since it should be serviced in a few days, can I have then thoroughly dry it out and apply some sort of electrical grease to the connectors?

Thanks for your time. I guess I needed to learn this sooner than I thought. :lol:
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Scooter sitting in rain, how to dry out?

Post by willajabir »

Marie,
I've had 27 bikes and rode for 46 years and never dried a bike. I have dried the seat so I wouldn't get my rear wet after a good rain, but that is it.
Continuously wet is different. A cover or shed is a good idea, but the occasional rain is really nothing to be concerned about.
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: http://tinyurl.com/o9hqc4o
yttikeiram

Post by yttikeiram »

The reason I was concerned is it was raining very heavy on and off for three days straight. So, you think it will dry out on its own? Do you think it's still a good idea to use Corrosion X or electrical grease?
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Unless there is something you haven't mentioned (like damage exposing parts), then go purchase your cover. Wait till the next sunny day, go for a short ride (because it is lonely and misses you), then park it and cover it. You and it will have many future happy (s)miles together.
Larry

yttikeiram

Post by yttikeiram »

I feel much less concerned now. :D I'm sure my husband will love your advice. He tries to ride that thing all day, every day!
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

N.P., Don't worry, skuder fever isn't contagious. It is like a drug. Being around it is ok, but one you use, you get hooked or sick of it. :lol:
Larry

yttikeiram

Post by yttikeiram »

He already wants a 400CC scoot, too. It's been three weeks! :roll:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Its designed for use outdoors in all weathers.
Mine sat outside for three years without a cover, at one point it was under snow for three months.
Started first push of the button after the snow was brushed off.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Gar

Post by Gar »

I live in Thailand where it rains for months rather than days. :-) Rain has yet to be an issue. Flooded roads can be an issue, but simple rainfall is no worry.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

At least it's warm rain.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I ride in the rain regularly, had several trips that were hundreds of miles in the rain. I've never applied any waterproofing or worried about it.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I had a motorcycle once that stayed outside all the time, rain, snow or wind. It started and ran without any problems untilthe day iI sold it. These things are built for the outdoors. They just need to be cleaned up because we like them that way, not because they can't handle bad weather. Ride and enjoy! As for the 400 cc, unless you are riding one of them I think one will be left parked after he gets the other. We have both a 150 and a Burgman 400. I love my Burgman. She loves her PCX 150. On the open road she loves to ride my Burgman. In the city, I love the way her 150 maneuvers . Each has its place, but each can be used for multiple purposes if you are willing to accept their limitations. He could take the PCX coast to coast if he wanted to. It wouldn't be as comfortable as a 400, but it could be done. Other people have done it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I had a motorcycle once that stayed outside all the time, rain, snow or wind. It started and ran without any problems untilthe day iI sold it. These things are built for the outdoors. They just need to be cleaned up because we like them that way, not because they can't handle bad weather. Ride and enjoy! As for the 400 cc, unless you are riding one of them I think one will be left parked after he gets the other. We have both a 150 and a Burgman 400. I love my Burgman. She loves her PCX 150. On the open road she loves to ride my Burgman. In the city, I love the way her 150 maneuvers . Each has its place, but each can be used for multiple purposes if you are willing to accept their limitations. He could take the PCX coast to coast if he wanted to. It wouldn't be as comfortable as a 400, but it could be done. Other people have done it.

I've taken my PCX coast to Coast. Easy
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

you you wrote:
Har har. Bet that took a long time. :P
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Maybe he went N/S.....
Larry

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:
you you wrote:
It can be done in half an hour, from Kincardine Bridge to Kingston Bridge.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
maddiedog wrote:
you you wrote:
It can be done in half an hour, from Kincardine Bridge to Kingston Bridge.

Never been, might need a passport soon

Are you voting later this year on wether we are going to be rid of you lot? :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Yes, I will be voting.