New to the forum - still deciding what scooter to get

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

New to the forum - still deciding what scooter to get

Post by iceman »

Hi,
Glad I found such a useful forum. Still not sure what Honda scooter to get, still considering the PCX 125 but I'll post on that separately.
Steve
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: New to the forum - still deciding what scooter to get

Post by Indyglow »

Hi Steve, what are the scooter choices you are considering?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Hi. As I mostly need the scooter for a 10 mile commute in town (outer London) it's a choice of three - Vision 110, PCX 125 or SH125i (new 2013 PCX engine version). I'm going to a dealer in about ten days time to see them and get a better idea of their size (I'm 6ft) and how it feels sitting on them.

I've driven for 30 years but only just passed a CBT (UK max 125cc at present). I do not need to use motorways so 70+ pushing a 125 engine to the limits is not a problem for me, hence why I'm still considering the Vision 110 as it's got fast acceleration to around 40mph, can tackle 55-60, is not that wide (670mm) and has lots of storage space.

I've watched lots of youtube vid's and read many reviews, I just have the feeling the PCX is a little small (low down) for me and harder to cyphon through traffic (70cm wider than the vision). Once out of warranty and I start doing servicing myself, the amount of dismantling on the PCX to check valve clearance has me a little worried.

The SH125i with extra storage space and PCX engine seems good, but some reviews imply the new version with PCX engine can suffer from fuel pump problems only a few months in!

I may get a faster bike in time (once I pass my level 2 tests) but for now, a 110-125 seems sensible.

Thanks!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The 125 scooters you should be looking at are: S-wing 125, X-max 125, Joymax 125, Downtown 125 and CityStar 125
The fast ones are the CityStar and the Xmax, both of which have the maximum 15bhp (almost 50% more than a PCX) and will do a genuine 70mph.
The PCX and SH will not do 70, realistically 60 is about your lot.
The Vision will do about 50.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
henrydjunaedi

Post by henrydjunaedi »

PCX can do 70, under a certain condition. but it's not what it designed for
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

henrydjunaedi wrote:PCX can do 70
Not the ones sold in the UK unless you increase the size of the engine and alter the gearbox.
Which costs a lot of money, invalidates the warranty, increases fuel consumption, decreases reliability and reduces its value.
Much better to buy something else.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Get a PCX that is why you are here, right? :?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome Steve! Okay, so going 70mph is not (really) important. Then I vote for the PCX 125 for your daily town runs, it's quite flickable & nimble too. My opinion....Oh, & in White! :D :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

WhiteNoise wrote:Welcome Steve! Okay, so going 70mph is not (really) important. Then I vote for the PCX 125 for your daily town runs, it's quite flickable & nimble too. My opinion....Oh, & in White! :D :D
I first liked the white, then I've grown fond of the red - not sure which I would go for. Some people like the black colour but I don't see many people opting for the blue/silver versions.
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

WhiteNoise wrote:Welcome Steve! Okay, so going 70mph is not (really) important. Then I vote for the PCX 125 for your daily town runs, it's quite flickable & nimble too. My opinion....Oh, & in White! :D :D
I concur. :)

And welcome Steve.
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

iceman wrote:
I first liked the white, then I've grown fond of the red - not sure which I would go for. Some people like the black colour but I don't see many people opting for the blue/silver versions.
My wife is a nervous type and INSISTS on me having white scooters for visibility - she also doesn't like it if I dress like Johnny Cash - she's happier if I'm in reflective clothing. :)
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Post by chainsaw »

gn2 wrote:The 125 scooters you should be looking at are: S-wing 125, X-max 125, Joymax 125, Downtown 125 and CityStar 125
The fast ones are the CityStar and the Xmax, both of which have the maximum 15bhp (almost 50% more than a PCX) and will do a genuine 70mph.

none of these options are hondas
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

chainsaw wrote:
gn2 wrote:The 125 scooters you should be looking at are: S-wing 125, X-max 125, Joymax 125, Downtown 125 and CityStar 125

none of these options are hondas
The S-Wing is.

:)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I was due to go to a dealer to test ride the PCX and SHi (and vision 110) but could not get the day off. Now booked test rides on the SH and 110 as I'm really not sure about the PCX - it's nice, but I'm still not struck by the plastic added on for show rather than anything useful (it just seems a but bulky due to the fitments, although it may be nippy and good with filtering).

The SHi is the most expensive 125 scooter on offer in the UK, but I feel it shares good things such as the new PCX engine, has more HP from new, has a flat floorbed and rear box as standard and although I will mostly be commuting on it and happy to do the usual 30-40 (occasionally 50) mph roads, the extra oomph may be useful rather than stress the engine. Sadly no sooner are we into 2014 and it seems unlike with the vision and PCX, Honda have raised the RRP for the CBS (£50 more) and the ABS version (£100 more) :( (they were 2850 and 3000, now 2900 and 3100)

Just received my first helmet - http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/96113 so should now be ok for the test rides. The cheap Box style helmets are fine and get good safety ratings, but I was won over by the ability to flip the front when needed and the built in sun-visor.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The SH is less than half the price of a Vespa 946 (125cc)

http://www.scooters.co.uk/index.php?web ... &cID=47222
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I've arranged a new test date for the SHi and others, but that won't be for some weeks as I cannot get the leave just yet. Another dealer has offered me a slight discount on an 2014 abs version (non registered yet) and quoted me £41 to order the service manual for the UK 2013 SHi - not bad and if I get the SHi I will get it.

There's a few video's of the SHi around, not as many as the very popular PCX, but this one is quite good showing a fairly decent rider-cam view of the new model up to 70mph along various types of road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPb2ku73uiQ

I'd go for the white over the black, with red next.