Dunlop Scootsmart vs Michelin City Grips

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

redwind
Communocrat
Communocrat

Dunlop Scootsmart vs Michelin City Grips

Post by redwind »

When i first got my PCX 125 a few months ago - which is my first bicycle with a motor ;) - i found the tyres really slippy. Perhaps it was my riding skill, but upon recommendation by a local bike shop - Mark Davall in Harlow - i got the Dunlop Scootsmart, and found it to be very stable.

The thing is, i wasn't expecting the 'slippiness' to go away as i thought that that was how scooters performed, but when making the same corners, and roundabouts, i realised that the 'slip' in question had gone away - and it wasn't because of my increased skill either as it was only a week later.

My PCX dealer in Bishop Stortford thought i was 'cuckoo' for changing my tyres so soon and put down my feelings to being psychologically auto-suggestive - though that wasn't the term he used. However, that wouldn't be the case if the benefits were felt in areas one wasn't expecting.

Has anyone tried the Scootsmart and the Michelin City Grips? Or the former? How would it compare? Pros and Cons?

Most curious.

http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_euen/mc/tyr ... tsmart.jsp

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Du ... unched.htm

A 'real' bike is one with which you have to jump through hoops to get it to do what a scoot does with a twist
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Dunlop Scootsmart vs Michelin City Grips

Post by gn2 »

I had a City Grip rear on my PCX and have Scootsmarts on the Forza.
Both are black and circular so there's really nothing to choose between them.
The City Grips last really well, highly recommended.
Scootsmarts also seem to be wearing well.

Any deficiency with the IRC tyres on the PCX is in your head, you can lean the thing right over and scrape chunks out the bodywork if you really want to.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

mines having a Michelin city grip fitted Thursday as part of the 7.5k service :)
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Slowly leaning over has nothing to do with real grip. Saying that your tires are black and round so there is no difference is like saying I can grip just as well with Walmart tires as I can with Michelin, Avon, or Pirelli tires. Compounds are very different
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

Michelin and IRC are the same. Why change the formula if you can scrap panels on IRC. Makes no sense to use anything else.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

SmellyTofu wrote:Michelin and IRC are the same. Why change the formula if you can scrap panels on IRC. Makes no sense to use anything else.
That makes no sense. They are different makes and compounds. The michelins are proven to last longer as well. Ask gn2.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Slowly leaning over has nothing to do with real grip. Saying that your tires are black and round so there is no difference is like saying I can grip just as well with Walmart tires as I can with Michelin, Avon, or Pirelli tires. Compounds are very different

They are. And wet is different to dry. But we're talking about a scooter. Round and black probably cuts it unless you are a twist and go Marquez
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

Alibally wrote:
SmellyTofu wrote:Michelin and IRC are the same. Why change the formula if you can scrap panels on IRC. Makes no sense to use anything else.
That makes no sense. They are different makes and compounds. The michelins are proven to last longer as well. Ask gn2.
But nothing can be better than what comes out of the factory because it's fine as it is
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SmellyTofu wrote:
Alibally wrote:
But nothing can be better than what comes out of the factory because it's fine as it is

True. The tyres are ok. No complaints from me and I'm a miserable sod
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

you you wrote:True. The tyres are ok. No complaints from me and I'm a miserable sod
Ah but do you have IRC tyres?
What is the point of scrapping panels? Surely it is better to be able to rely on the tyres for traction?

On a serious note, I thought I read a number of complaints about the IRC tyres on this forum.
Wondering if there is a certain situation where they don't perform well, eg: on diesel or banana peels.
redwind
Communocrat
Communocrat

Post by redwind »

gn2 wrote:I had a City Grip rear on my PCX and have Scootsmarts on the Forza.
Both are black and circular so there's really nothing to choose between them.
The City Grips last really well, highly recommended.
Scootsmarts also seem to be wearing well.

Any deficiency with the IRC tyres on the PCX is in your head, you can lean the thing right over and scrape chunks out the bodywork if you really want to.
So the tyres being round and black makes the variation in compounds used insignificant.

Very astute observation.
A 'real' bike is one with which you have to jump through hoops to get it to do what a scoot does with a twist
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

I'm a first time scoot rider and I have to confess that, at first, I was somewhat nervous when I first started riding. Now that I have a few miles on my PCX I'm much more comfortable with the handling, leaning etc. The only mod I did was to add a Givi windshield. The tires are stock and I won't replace them until I have to. From what I've read in this forum I'll probably go with the Michelin City Grips. As far as handling goes now I see no problem at all with stock tires. GN2 has probably put on as many miles as anyone on this forum and has a lot of experience with both the PCX and the Forza. I don't know him personally but I respect his opinions and, however short and to the point they may be, I think he's generally right. Although different tires may have different compounds, I think his point is that they all work well and do as intended.
On a side note, it was 1 degree fahreneit here this morning so my scooting has been sharply curtailed.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

redwind wrote:
So the tyres being round and black makes the variation in compounds used insignificant.

Very astute observation.
No, the fact that you are fitting them to an underpowered scooter which will barely crack 60mph means that any half decent tyre will suffice.
Best to get the one which lasts longest, all evidence seen thus far suggests that the City Grip is the one to go for.
The IRC tyres grip well but the rears wear rapidly.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

So now that we have established which tires are good at 60mph how about a suggestion for those of us traveling at 75+ on our pcx's???

Michelin, Pirelli?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Yes.
Both make black and round ones rated for fantasy speed.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Fantasy speed lol. I was at 74 mph earlier in clean air down a slight grade with my biondi shield on.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Fantasy speed lol. I was at 74 mph earlier in clean air down a slight grade with my biondi shield on.
Be careful what you claim,thats a 300cc territory...the gods will get upset with you. :lol:
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

I wonder how fast this guy is going.
Hairpin.jpg
Hairpin.jpg (50.27 KiB) Viewed 10837 times
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

The silent sport exhaust has added a significant amount of power. Pair that along with a kitaco throttle cam, takegawa lowering springs (front lowered 1in) a new seat, handlebar muffs and m-factory pads and shoes... I'm pretty happy with it right now. I just need to start my variator testing. I guess I'm going to have I figure out a way to video.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

I'm at the edge of reality speed at 73mph :lol: :lol: