CBS fluid top up.. how?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

CBS fluid top up.. how?

Post by woozy-uk »

I never noticed the little fluid window before until 2 days ago :oops: i thoguht it was the coolant checker at first then saw its the CBS check window

my fluid is slightly below the LOWER mark, i have spare dot 4, but how do i top it up. theres no info how to add it

Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Re: CBS fluid top up.. how?

Post by Fiah »

It says right there, if the fluid level is low you need to check your brake pads. Brake fluid doesn't leak, or evaporate, or otherwise vacate the system. If it would, your brakes would not work at all because there would not be enough hydraulic pressure. What has happened is that the brake pistons rest slightly further out of the brake calliper (closer to the disk), because the brake pads have worn. Take a flashlight and have a good long look at your brake pads. If you're not sure that they're ok, replace your pads.
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

You say in another post that you've done 3000 miles but not had a service. The first service is at 600 miles then 2500 then every 2500 after that. If you miss these services you won't be getting your scoot checked over properly, also you will invalidate your warranty - get to the Honda dealer you bought it from as soon possible. You must get your service book stamped if you want to get a good price when you come to sell in the future.

Worn out pads at 3000 miles seems too soon to me. I've done well over 6000 and mine are fine.
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

the bike had done 3500 when i bought it 2nd hand from the dealers. also i misread the mileage i had done too, i misread it as 26500. its 265.00 lol
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

You can wear out pads as fast as you like, that's really (really!) dependant on your driving style right?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Entirely dependent on riding style.
And maintenance.
With single sided calipers, if the pins that the caliper slides across get dirty or corroded and the caliper does not move freely, the pad nearest the pistons gets worn away in no time flat.
This is why during winter it is essential to lift the front wheel clear of the deck and give it a spin.
If it does not turn freely, it's time to unbolt the caliper, pull the pins and clean up the sliding faces of the caliper and the pins, then whack on some copper grease, reassemble and you're good to go.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Useful advice :)
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

booked the bike in to have the dot 4 added, they checked the brakes and pads are fine
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Good. It's possible it came a bit low from the factory, mine was has been on the low marker the whole time I've owned my bike.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

how can i top up that thing myself though, nothing in the manual how to do it
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

Well, you shouldn't have to top it off, like other members have said. It's a closed system...

Watch your fluid for a few weeks. If it gets lower, you need to take it in and get it looked at. Simply topping it off will not fix the problem.

If the fluid doesn't get lower, I'd just leave it and check on it every now and then.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

ok, thankyou ill leave it then
conv1900
Year: 2013
Color: candy Red

Post by conv1900 »

HI
Where is the CBS fluid? I don't see it . not in the manual. I have a 2013 PCX 150....

Thanks GC :ugeek:
Teach someone How to ride safely & enjoy the ride!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

There's a small hole beside the ignition switch. You can see the level through there.
conv1900
Color: candy Red

Post by conv1900 »

Alibally wrote:There's a small hole beside the ignition switch. You can see the level through there.

HI Again!
I found it... thanks for the heads up! Looks like to add fluid for any reason other than worn pads , the cover snaps off.

Thanks again! GC
Teach someone How to ride safely & enjoy the ride!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Alibally wrote:There's a small hole beside the ignition switch. You can see the level through there.
One day I'll shine a torch in that hole as in daylight all I ever see is a dark square, no level. Either I'm just not seeing the level line, or it's very full or too low :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I know what you're saying iceman. When I went to buy my 2015 (on the showroom floor) I asked the salesman if there was fluid in there. I saw none. He looked and was puzzled. He saw none. Then he went to the rear of the scooter, lifted it off the floor (as I held the handlebar) and told me to look again. Wouldn't you know, I saw fluid! Yes, mine was filled to the brim and the fluid itself is clear. That makes it even harder to see when looking through the milky colored reservoir.
Maybe you want to try this lift technique out with another person ? Maybe your fluid will show itself? I hope so :P Oh! And have a pen type light available in case lighting is low.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

My fluid was below the desired level so i took it to the dealer. The PCX mechanic said that the handlebars need to be turned all the way to the left before checking the fluid level. When i turned them to the left, the fluid was at the correct level.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

yak wrote:My fluid was below the desired level so i took it to the dealer. The PCX mechanic said that the handlebars need to be turned all the way to the left before checking the fluid level. When i turned them to the left, the fluid was at the correct level.
That works for the level in the reservoir on the handlebars, didn't know it also worked for the CBS reservoir. Don't believe the user manual mentions this 'trick'.
RedDawn430
Color: Black

Post by RedDawn430 »

I realize I am a great deal late to this forum, but...
I just did this today actually,

there are four pieces of plastic bodywork that you need to take off. The first two can be taken off in any order: the center piece where the gas cap is, there is one screw, and the piece below the handle bars to the left of the ignition switch. Then you should be able to remove the plastic plate around the ignition switch. Lastly, you have to remove the entire plastic piece behind that plate, there are two screws above the glove box, two above the ignition, and two by the gas cap, then there is one bolt in the middle.These pieces can all have fragile tabs (two were stuck and/or already broken).

After the PCX is open, the CBS fluid reservoir is where you would expect it to be. Is bled with the rear brake lever and the bottom bleeder valve on the front brake caliper.