Dynabead DIY tire balancing beads.

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Dynabead DIY tire balancing beads.

Post by sendler2112 »

Most shops lack the proper fittings to balance scooter wheels. Dyna beads work well for balancing scooter wheels. Not cheap for what they are, but worth it and still much less than taking your bike to the shop. I have them in my PCX and they work perfectly. Just dump them in through the tire valve.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/50 ... =SLIsearch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Dynabead DIY tire balancing beads.

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:Most shops lack the proper fittings to balance scooter wheels. Dyna beads work well for balancing scooter wheels. Not cheap for what they are, but worth it and still much less than taking your bike to the shop. I have them in my PCX and they work perfectly. Just dump them in through the tire valve.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/50 ... =SLIsearch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

I'm not sure. They have the whiff of snake oil about them.

Generally I don't balance bike wheel/tyres. Just put the marked lightest part of the tyre to where the valve is.

If it isn't then balanced, use weights.

Haven't had to use weights for as long as I can remember.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

you you wrote:I'm not sure. They have the whiff of snake oil about them.
No snake oil. The physics is sound especially for the round front profile of a bike tire which keeps the beads in a thinner line. Dynabeads don't work as well in wide, flat car tires.
You don't have to balance a tire but it is much nicer if you do.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:
you you wrote:I'm not sure. They have the whiff of snake oil about them.
No snake oil. The physics is sound especially for the round front profile of a bike tire which keeps the beads in a thinner line. Dynabeads don't work as well in wide, flat car tires.
You don't have to balance a tire but it is much nicer if you do.
I can remember the tyre balancing fluids coming out 30 years ago

You don't have to balance a tyre and I suspect dyna beads don't. But it much nicer. You pay/part with yer money..
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

you you wrote:You don't have to balance a tyre and I suspect dyna beads don't.
You must not have watched the video. It shows that they work perfectly even if you put way too much in so they are trying to pile up on each other. I put 2 ounces in my rear tire when I put it on and it rides like glass. I have 1 ounce in the front and it is much better than it was but could probably use a little more. If you ride 30 mph you won't feel any vibration with or without balancing. If you ride above 50 mph then balancing helps a lot.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:
you you wrote:You don't have to balance a tyre and I suspect dyna beads don't.
You must not have watched the video. It shows that they work perfectly even if you put way too much in so they are trying to pile up on each other. I put 2 ounces in my rear tire when I put it on and it rides like glass. I have 1 ounce in the front and it is much better than it was but could probably use a little more. If you ride 30 mph you won't feel any vibration with or without balancing. If you ride above 50 mph then balancing helps a lot.

I'll watch the video.

However it was the same for the fluids. There's no reason for anything inside the tyre to be flung to the lightest part of the whole rotating mass. It'll just go to the farthest from the centre of rotation.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

That's what I intuitively thought also. But once Dynabeads explained it to me in the graphic, it made sense. As the heavy part of the tire goes over the top, it lifts everything it is attached to up. The beads are still free minus a little friction so they stay where they were. Relative to the tire which the heavy part just pulled up, they have have just moved the opposite way. Each time the tire moves up with the heavy part over the top, the beads move the other way, father from the heavy spot. Until it balances and there is no further movement of the tire up and down so they just stick where they are.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:That's what I intuitively thought also. But once Dynabeads explained it to me in the graphic, it made sense. As the heavy part of the tire goes over the top, it lifts everything it is attached to up. The beads are still free minus a little friction so they stay where they were. Relative to the tire which the heavy part just pulled up, they have have just moved the opposite way. Each time the tire moves up with the heavy part over the top, the beads move the other way, father from the heavy spot. Until it balances and there is no further movement of the tire up and down so they just stick where they are.
Sorry but hmm. Just watched the video. Many hmms

Happy that they worked for you. I'm a Luddite. If it worked for you, then it worked.
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

For me it was a waste of money. No detectable benefit was gained. I installed new tires at the same time and had hoped it would be the next best thing since sliced bread. I honestly don't think there's any difference from the stock tires/wheels and the 13" wheels/tires I had or the second set of 13" tires which had the beads installed. The cost was only about $30 USD, now I wish I had spent the money on gas for riding or additional beer money. It would have been better spent.

Now, the other-side of the equation is maybe the tire installer did not put the dyna-beads in my tires when installed. Maybe he's riding smoothly on his scooter. Maybe I should not have experienced any gain in performance/ride benefits? Who knows? The additional money towards beer would have been the better option and I would have without enjoyed it. Really.

I do think the change to 13" wheels and tires produced a smoother ride. Some might disagree with that comment. But here in the land of PCXs, sometimes you just want yours to be a little different from the other hundreds you see on a daily basis. Tires and wheels are an easy change to be different...
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

you you wrote:Happy that they worked for you. I'm a Luddite. If it worked for you, then it worked.
For what it's worth, they work for me. No difference on the PCX really, the tires were balanced from the factory, and ones I had remounted still were good. On my Nighthawk though, the front tire was WAY off balance and a couple of ounces of Dynabeads got rid of the vibration completely and prevented the new tire from having any cupping. The old tire was so cupped it was unusable at several thousand miles newer than the current tire, and the current tire still looks nice.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:
you you wrote:Happy that they worked for you. I'm a Luddite. If it worked for you, then it worked.
For what it's worth, they work for me. No difference on the PCX really, the tires were balanced from the factory, and ones I had remounted still were good. On my Nighthawk though, the front tire was WAY off balance and a couple of ounces of Dynabeads got rid of the vibration completely and prevented the new tire from having any cupping. The old tire was so cupped it was unusable at several thousand miles newer than the current tire, and the current tire still looks nice.

Fair enough. By fitting dynabeads you have probably doubled the value of a nighthawk
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

you you wrote: Fair enough. By fitting dynabeads you have probably doubled the value of a nighthawk
The value of a turd is likely about the same as the value of two turds. ;)

My Nighthawk blew up its battery last time I rode it, so we're not on speaking terms currently.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes