London on a PCX (video)

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

snake

London on a PCX (video)

Post by snake »

My friend has uploaded this video of him riding across London on a PCX 125.

siplumb
Regular User
Regular User

Re: London on a PCX (video)

Post by siplumb »

Says the video is private...
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

siplumb wrote:Says the video is private...
Ditto ....
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
snake

Post by snake »

Seems to be back for me..?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

It's working for me now as well.

Just wondering, is it okay (not illegal) to split lanes in England ... let alone all of the other infractions ... not that I'm one to talk with riding in Bangkok. ;) :oops:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
snake

Post by snake »

There are plenty of infractions in the video! I was actually going to ask the North American guys about splitting/filtering in another thread.

In the UK it's legal. I assumed it was legal everywhere, but through this forum learnt that only a couple of states in the US (don't know about Canada) allow it, is that right guys? In that case, I would struggle with why one would buy a small scooter. If you have to behave like a car, I'd buy a big comfy bike, a sports bike or a car. To me it defeats the whole point. I bought my scooter to avoid queueing in the often horrendous London traffic. Whilst there are other issues with the riding in this video, you can see a bit of London traffic even at night.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

snake wrote: I would struggle with why one would buy a small scooter.
Simple, 100mpg beats the hell out of the 30mpg your average car gets.
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Thanks for sharing the video ... great stuff and love the soundtrack.
The tunnel scenes were especially fun.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
snake

Post by snake »

cessna151 wrote:
Fair point. But is the economy from a larger scooter (eg Forza) that much worse than a small scooter? According to figures mentioned on here, not that much. And you'd get the benefit of more storage space and features. I guess I'm coming at this from a very different perspective, cutting up traffic is my scooter's greatest selling point and I hadn't considered the petrol savings over a larger scooter or a motorcycle. But having said that, if I wasn't allowed to filter I doubt I'd buy a PCX.

Glad you enjoyed gokidd :)
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I hope he wears plenty of protective gear.
SilentSamurai

Post by SilentSamurai »

It's legal in the states as long as it's done "safely" and not back and forth in and out of lanes multiple times in a short period. You are only allowed to do it if you stay in your lane. So technically you can't ride the line but everyone does it.

But from what I saw on the video you are doing it while cares are moving, now that part IS illegal. You are only to pass once vehicles are stopped, you are basically sharing a lane with a car and therefore a traffic hazard while moving.

But like most laws, depends on the cop and what mood he/she is in :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:I hope he wears plenty of protective gear.

But it would have been a waste as he didn't fall off
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

you you wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:I hope he wears plenty of protective gear.

But it would have been a waste as he didn't fall off
It seems inevitable with that level of irresponsible riding. Gives us all a bad name.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

snake wrote:
cessna151 wrote:
Fair point. But is the economy from a larger scooter (eg Forza) that much worse than a small scooter? According to figures mentioned on here, not that much.
It is definitely a matter of perspective. I don't live near a large city so lane splitting is irrelevant to me. The pcx150 is EPA rated at 102 and forza at 68. That's a 33% loss which makes a huge difference for me. I'll never buy a forza for that reason alone.
Nines

Post by Nines »

snake wrote:There are plenty of infractions in the video! I was actually going to ask the North American guys about splitting/filtering in another thread.

In the UK it's legal. I assumed it was legal everywhere, but through this forum learnt that only a couple of states in the US (don't know about Canada) allow it, is that right guys?
Lane splitting is illegal in Canada.
Skyskovski

Post by Skyskovski »

Great video, reminds me of my daily commute in London. Oh the horror with this traffic. This is why I got me a scooter, beats London Trains and raid traffic everyday.
To be sure of hitting your target, shoot first and whatever you hit call it the target!!!!!!

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Music pretty good. The ride? I was uncomfortable. Why do I relate this way of riding to a form of road rage? Life on the edge. Crazy. I treasure mine. I love my family too. Agree with sendler as well. Bad image making.
Thanks for sharing his video, it serves to remind me of those that are irresponsible on the same roads I travel. Certainly a threat to all. I'm always curious....What does one prove rolling "his" way? Maybe he/she gets to their destination a few minutes earlier? Adrenaline high? Really, is it worth the risk of getting hurt or hurting others and consequently their families too? I'm sorry, I'm going to deep.
Should I hit the submit button or not? Too late, I just did
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

snake wrote:My friend has uploaded this video of him riding across London on a PCX 125.

Does your friend ride with L plates and use tracksuit trousers and trainers when riding? Would suit his riding, pisses me off every time an oblivious to danger learner behaves stupidly. And where are all the cars? Looks too empty to be London!

About filtering in traffic: Most countries I know its illegal, e.g. in Germany and Holland you can pay heavy fines for that. But then in the UK most car drivers (believe it or not) actually do know what to do around bikes, try filtering in Germany and see what happens when anybody in a car wants to change lanes...(besides you being at fault if you crash...).
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

If you tried that in Boston, someone would "accidently" get in your way, or even door you. Hell - they do it to bicycles on occasion. Riding like that is absolutely illegal here, and the city driving mentality really resents anybody getting getting a "better deal". I don't have to drive in the city, and I'm real happy about that.

As far as saving money, well, I have to drive six thousand miles a year to break even on the cost of the insurance, so I can't really cite "economy" as THE reason I ride. MY MINI costs around 9 cents a mile and the PCX just under 4. My insurance is $330. I'm on the PCX because I have, for years, thought a scooter would be fun, and for once I was right.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

GeorgeSK wrote:If you tried that in Boston, someone would "accidently" get in your way, or even door you. Hell - they do it to bicycles on occasion. Riding like that is absolutely illegal here, and the city driving mentality really resents anybody getting getting a "better deal". I don't have to drive in the city, and I'm real happy about that.

As far as saving money, well, I have to drive six thousand miles a year to break even on the cost of the insurance, so I can't really cite "economy" as THE reason I ride. MY MINI costs around 9 cents a mile and the PCX just under 4. My insurance is $330. I'm on the PCX because I have, for years, thought a scooter would be fun, and for once I was right.

Sounds a charming place. Isn't footing someone illegal, or at least dangerous