Greetings out of Africa

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Stef-fm
Year: 2013
Color: Grey

Greetings out of Africa

Post by Stef-fm »

Hi everyone.

New to the Forum. First of all... thanks to maddiedog for this PCX site. All information received here has lead me into buying a new PCX about two months ago. Love this bike! Nippy and all you need to scoot between the traffic here in South Africa!

I do own a BMW R1200R Adventure... but to be honest, I have not started it up for over a month now :roll:
Guess I will only use it now for my adventure rides around Africa.

Was fortunate to visit Hong Kong for business earlier this week and managed to get some performance upgrades and a exhaust system form a local Malossi dealer. (Some ex moto racer and current TV presenter I'm told :geek: ) Will post some pics once I figure out how to change the file sizes... new mac :?

Stef-fm
Ex Honda CBR 400, Yamaha F6 Fazer, Yamaha YZF R1, KTM XCW 250, BMW R1200R Adventure, Aprilia Capanord, BMW R1150R. Current BMW R1200GS Adventure and Honda PCX 150
Stef-fm

Re: Greetings out of Africa

Post by Stef-fm »

Here we go. This is my Fiancé attempting to take ownership
Attachments
IMG_0605.JPG
IMG_0605.JPG (305.55 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
Ex Honda CBR 400, Yamaha F6 Fazer, Yamaha YZF R1, KTM XCW 250, BMW R1200R Adventure, Aprilia Capanord, BMW R1150R. Current BMW R1200GS Adventure and Honda PCX 150
Los82

Post by Los82 »

Nice fia...uh...I mean bike. :roll: I wish we could get that color here in the U.S.
Previous - 1984 Honda Spree, 1987 Honda VFR Interceptor, 1986 Honda Elite 80, 1984 Honda Elite 125, 2000 Suzuki GSXR-600

Current - 2011 Honda PCX 125, 2001 Suzuki GSXR-1000
Stef-fm

Post by Stef-fm »

Thank you. Jip she is nice. bike not bad either :lol:
here's another pic.
Attachments
IMG_0869.JPG
Stef-fm

Post by Stef-fm »

Los82 wrote:Nice fia...uh...I mean bike. :roll: I wish we could get that color here in the U.S.
We get black, white, grey... and candy apple red as options here in SA.
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

Stef-fm wrote: Guess I will only use it now for my adventure rides around Africa.
Stop...you're making me jealous! Someday, I would like to do an adventure ride around Africa. It will most likely take the form of a photo safari, and not on a scooter, though. :)
Stef-fm

Post by Stef-fm »

Kermit wrote:
Stef-fm wrote: Guess I will only use it now for my adventure rides around Africa.
Stop...you're making me jealous! Someday, I would like to do an adventure ride around Africa. It will most likely take the form of a photo safari, and not on a scooter, though. :)
Will send thru some Adventure pics in the "other bikes" tabs one day. look out for them... but then again, Andrew Charnley managed to tick the Adventure box on a PCX!! The power of Honda!! Incredible!!

My old lady is retired in the sticks... some 1400km from where I live in Johannesburg... so I get plenty of opportunities to take the old beast for a run.
This is what I use for my adventure rides around Africa:
Attachments
IMG_0436.JPG
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Welcome to the forums!

I love BMW adv bikes, but they're SO heavy. I think I'd do much better touring on something light, maybe a KLR or similar. Any good ride reports from your touring on the R1200?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome to hondapcx forums. Glad to have someone from Africa join us. I haven't seen too many others.

As a bit of friendly advice, it might be best not to sit on your PCX when it is on the center stand. Because it is mounted directly to the engine casting, they have been known to break. This has been almost exclusively with the PCX125, but it seems to be a good general practice not to put weight on it when it is on the center stand.

Happy riding! And we would love to see some pics of the places you ride.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Stef-fm

Post by Stef-fm »

maddiedog wrote:Welcome to the forums!

I love BMW adv bikes, but they're SO heavy. I think I'd do much better touring on something light, maybe a KLR or similar. Any good ride reports from your touring on the R1200?
Hi Dave... feels like I've known you guys for years... been a visitor to this site now for a while... and finally a member.
My adventure rides include going around just about everywhere South Africa. We have some of the best tarmac roads (don't believe the sceptics)... and incredible scenic off-road trax as well. Will try and find some pics off the archives and share soon.

KLR's are also popular with the folks here... I'm more of a Ewan and Charley fan... so BMW's for me. yes the weight is a bit on the high side... but man they are comfortable!!! The best bike I've ever owned... next to the PCX naturally ;)
Stef-fm

Post by Stef-fm »

kramnala58 wrote:Welcome to hondapcx forums. Glad to have someone from Africa join us. I haven't seen too many others.

As a bit of friendly advice, it might be best not to sit on your PCX when it is on the center stand. Because it is mounted directly to the engine casting, they have been known to break. This has been almost exclusively with the PCX125, but it seems to be a good general practice not to put weight on it when it is on the center stand.

Happy riding! And we would love to see some pics of the places you ride.
Hi Kramnala. Thank you for the welcome and advice. Chantel is such a photo bomber... I could not get her off :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

From Africa, how cool is that! Welcome PCXer! Looking at your pics I see a few mods already, a new seat and exhaust < which one is that?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Stef-fm

Post by Stef-fm »

WhiteNoise wrote:From Africa, how cool is that! Welcome PCXer! Looking at your pics I see a few mods already, a new seat and exhaust < which one is that?
hi WhiteNoise. It's a Malossi Exhaust. Paid thru my ears for it... well Chantel did. Early X-mass present I'm told. Was fortunate to be in Hong Kong this week, still jet-lagged, and picked it up from the local Malossi Dealer, so in the hand luggage she went.

The seat I got from Bikerbitz... a nice clock from the good folks @ Clocksforbikes. Other mods includes a Malossi Variator with 10.5g rollers and K-belt I got from Malossi as well.
Made a noticeable difference in acceleration... and noise. :roll:
Top end TBC, as I want everything to settle before I take it to the limit.

I still need to install the Malossi clutch and new spring... but will do that once I get back from leave in a week. Did not install all at one go... Wanted to see the performance with the new variator first before installing the clutch. I know we are talking about a little 150cc economical scooter here... so I'm not expecting anything to be honest. I am happy with the gain in acceleration.

Here's the Exhaust up close:
Attachments
IMG_0871.JPG
IMG_0871.JPG (286.75 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
Pedro-agogo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Pedro-agogo »

Bike looks awesome- love the exhaust. And the colour. Good to see you got the seat sorted because there's no point in fighting it. I didn't last a week with the hump. I too got a clock from clocks4bikes- aren't those folks just the best? So damned nice. And the clock looks great on the handlebars. I am heading to the US in 5 weeks for a big 6 week holiday so will be on the lookout for PCX goodies to bring back to Australia.
Stef-fm

Post by Stef-fm »

Pedro-agogo wrote:Bike looks awesome- love the exhaust. And the colour. Good to see you got the seat sorted because there's no point in fighting it. I didn't last a week with the hump. I too got a clock from clocks4bikes- aren't those folks just the best? So damned nice. And the clock looks great on the handlebars. I am heading to the US in 5 weeks for a big 6 week holiday so will be on the lookout for PCX goodies to bring back to Australia.
Yes the guys from Clockforbikes are the best! Where in Perth are you. My sister stays in Quinsrock (not sure of the spelling) Beautiful place!! Iwill immigrate in a heart beat if I get the opportunity.

Re the seat... I'm not too impressed with the new one to be honest... yes the hump is gone... but it's still a bit hard and uncomfortable. I'm planning to have it re-appoltrared... with better padding etc.
Pedro-agogo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Pedro-agogo »

I'm near Fremantle Stef- the port city and a great place to ride around. Heading out for a Sunday ride today and will stop for a coffee and catch up with friends then head down the coast and back up to Fremantle for sunset and a cheap meal at the food hall opposite the markets (Pad Thai for me). A hot day today so will sacrifice some safety for comfort (shorts) but still wear a jacket with hi-vis vest. Quinns Rocks is a way up North of the city. A shame about your seat. I got mine from powerbypcx and it is really comfy.
Stef-fm

Post by Stef-fm »

Enjoy the ride... keep safe and send us some pics
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wow, you've done quite a bit already! So, I'm reading that the Malossi is too loud? Are you wearing earplugs while riding? Hmm...On second thought, I don't think they would help much because you're sitting on the vehicle that's making the noise and it travels with ya, only the tone changes right? Kinda like a droaning hum going on in yer head. Well, that's my vision of it anyways. I love hearing loud pipes Go by, whether it be scoot cycle truck car....they All get my attention :P

Another pitch for the folks at clocks-4-bikes: I dealt with them years back, they're a Great Couple making a Great product! Have no fears or doubt about ordering folks because you Won't be disappointed! The fit on middle of the PCX bars is perfect too. 7/8 is the size you want (I have a 1" from an older bike I had).
Stef-fm, which clock did you get? The black face?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Stef-fm

Post by Stef-fm »

WhiteNoise wrote:Wow, you've done quite a bit already! So, I'm reading that the Malossi is too loud? Are you wearing earplugs while riding? Hmm...On second thought, I don't think they would help much because you're sitting on the vehicle that's making the noise and it travels with ya, only the tone changes right? Kinda like a droaning hum going on in yer head. Well, that's my vision of it anyways. I love hearing loud pipes Go by, whether it be scoot cycle truck car....they All get my attention :P

Another pitch for the folks at clocks-4-bikes: I dealt with them years back, they're a Great Couple making a Great product! Have no fears or doubt about ordering folks because you Won't be disappointed! The fit on middle of the PCX bars is perfect too. 7/8 is the size you want (I have a 1" from an older bike I had).
Stef-fm, which clock did you get? The black face?
The Exhaust is not too loud... ;) nothing like the others if going by reports of other members. I can highly recommend it... quite pleasant in fact. I'm enjoying it... and no ear plugs for me... got a blue tooth setup... so I'm listening to my tunes/radio... and field the odd business call when I'm on the road.

I got the Black face clock, and concur with Whitenoise.. I'f anyone is interested in getting a clock for you bike... buy it from Clockforbikes... they are the best!!
Attachments
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG (292.97 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Stef-fm

Post by Stef-fm »

Maddiedog, you asked for some adventure pics: Found some out the archives... one of my most memorable tours around South Africa on my previous GS1200 Adventure. I made it to the most southern point in Africa... Remember the photo's from Long way Down at Cape Agulhas? Well I made it to the same point. at this point I did +/- 2450km on a 6k journey.
Attachments
DSC01682.JPG
DSC01682.JPG (317.02 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
DSC01673.JPG
DSC01673.JPG (501.58 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
DSC01674.JPG
DSC01674.JPG (426.32 KiB) Viewed 1554 times