what is the best way to shade your eyes?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Brian

what is the best way to shade your eyes?

Post by Brian »

I live in the North of England. At this time of year the sun is low on the horizon. We have had a lot of clear cloudless days lately and the sunshine can be blinding. I had a near miss yesterday when a driver pulled out right in front of me. She said she could not see me because of the Sun in her eyes! I had a helmet with white stripes, high viz vest, headlights on, you will no doubt have experienced something similar. I was invisible!!! Just as well my emergency stop was good enough and the pcx brakes worked just fine!
So my question is this: what are the best ways to shade your eyes from the Sun?
A built in dark visor that flips down inside your helmet?
Good sunglasses?
A deep peak on your helmet, or does a peak catch the wind too much and strain your neck after a while?
A combination of the above.?
I have used sunglasses but find I still need a peak for shading my eyes. Before I invest in a fancy new helmet I thought you guys might have some thoughts on the subject.
What is the color of wind?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: what is the best way to shade your eyes?

Post by you you »

Brian wrote:I live in the North of England

No need to apologise
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

My eyes are very light-sensitive. My Scorpion Exo-500 helmet came with a flip-down sun visor, but even with that down, I still need sunglasses some days, because the visor is not very dark. (Which reminds me...I should look into a darker replacement...but enough about me.) I think the visor that came in my helmet would be adequate for most people who aren't overly light-sensitive.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Kermit wrote:My eyes are very light-sensitive. My Scorpion Exo-500 helmet came with a flip-down sun visor, but even with that down, I still need sunglasses some days, because the visor is not very dark. (Which reminds me...I should look into a darker replacement...but enough about me.) I think the visor that came in my helmet would be adequate for most people who aren't overly light-sensitive.

I'm the whitest of the white too. Any strong sunlight is a real pain. Especially if you love the sun

I just use a heavily tinted visor works perfectly
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

i wear a motocross style enduro helmet with a peak type visor when i am going to be riding at a time and direction that will have the sun in my eyes. the UVEX Enduro helmet is a good one for the money and you can easily remove the peak visor if you want to.

http://www.fc-moto.de/Helmets/Uvex-Helmets/Uvex-Enduro
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I use dark sunglasses plus the drop down dark visor. I also have a deep peak in my visor which has holes in it because a solid one catches the wind when I ride. My wife had a solid one on her helmet and took it off because of that. From what you have said, you aren't the one that has the problem seeing. My sun glasses are prescription and darken as condition get brighter, though they never go backwards to clear, just back to normal sunglasses.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I use a dark, mirrored face shield on my helmet and added a one inch strip of dark car window tint film along the top edge of the shield. The tint film is above eye level so I don't look through it but it really lessens the glare from the sun.
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

A good pair of polarized sunglasses under my helmet. They cut the glare, as well. We live at a sub-tropical latitude - plenty of sun year 'round. I also spend considerable time on the water; the polarized sunglasses are essential.

When approaching a vehicle with the sun behind me (they are looking into the sun), I flash my brights and cover the brakes. 20 years ago, a guy in a pickup left turned in front of my motorcycle... crushed up a perfectly good Harley, and I spent a couple months healing and doing physical therapy. His excuse: "The sun was in my eyes." The truth: we had eye contact, and he gunned it, thinking he could get across in front of me. He got the ticket, his insurance paid for my medical bills and the bike... I paid the price for months.

Make sure YOU can see, and make sure the distracted, the indifferent, and the dumbasses can see you! Staring into the sun (you or them) is as bad as dark or low visibility - slow down for the conditions.

Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

I also use sunglasses and the flip down visor in my Neotec helmet. however, when the sun is low in the sky, that just isn't enough and I feel it is quite dangerous because I cant see cars and traffic lights. I think this is what the OP is talking about. driving with my hand held up is better than not seeing but the best solution for me is to wear a helmet with a motocross style peak visor for those conditions.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Kermit wrote:My Scorpion Exo-500 helmet came with a flip-down sun visor, but even with that down, I still need sunglasses some days, because the visor is not very dark. (Which reminds me...I should look into a darker replacement...but enough about me.) I think the visor that came in my helmet would be adequate for most people who aren't overly light-sensitive.
I have the same helmet, and then picked up a replacement face shield that was tinted smoke. Using that alone has helped ride on sunny days even without the visor, but when it's *really* bright, bringing the visor down sort of doubles the glare protection. I know you can get an even darker replacement shield too, but the smoke works pretty well. But as for direct sun low on the horizon, I'm not sure there's much of anything that can be used.
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

dustin91 wrote: I have the same helmet, and then picked up a replacement face shield that was tinted smoke. Using that alone has helped ride on sunny days even without the visor, but when it's *really* bright, bringing the visor down sort of doubles the glare protection. I know you can get an even darker replacement shield too, but the smoke works pretty well. But as for direct sun low on the horizon, I'm not sure there's much of anything that can be used.
Cool. Thanks!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

CaptnJim wrote:A good pair of polarized sunglasses under my helmet. They cut the glare, as well. We live at a sub-tropical latitude - plenty of sun year 'round. I also spend considerable time on the water; the polarized sunglasses are essential.

When approaching a vehicle with the sun behind me (they are looking into the sun), I flash my brights and cover the brakes. 20 years ago, a guy in a pickup left turned in front of my motorcycle... crushed up a perfectly good Harley, and I spent a couple months healing and doing physical therapy. His excuse: "The sun was in my eyes." The truth: we had eye contact, and he gunned it, thinking he could get across in front of me. He got the ticket, his insurance paid for my medical bills and the bike... I paid the price for months.

Make sure YOU can see, and make sure the distracted, the indifferent, and the dumbasses can see you! Staring into the sun (you or them) is as bad as dark or low visibility - slow down for the conditions.

Jim

Tbh I would have thought you were flashing me out of the junction
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

Brian wrote:I live in the North of England. At this time of year the sun is low on the horizon. We have had a lot of clear cloudless days lately and the sunshine can be blinding. I had a near miss yesterday when a driver pulled out right in front of me. She said she could not see me because of the Sun in her eyes! I had a helmet with white stripes, high viz vest, headlights on, you will no doubt have experienced something similar. I was invisible!!! Just as well my emergency stop was good enough and the pcx brakes worked just fine!
Good sunglasses?
A deep peak on your helmet, or does a peak catch the wind too much and strain your neck after a while?
I have used sunglasses but find I still need a peak for shading my eyes. Before I invest in a fancy new helmet I thought you guys might have some thoughts on the subject.

move to thailand.......
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

hatari wrote:
Brian wrote:I live in the North of England. At this time of year the sun is low on the horizon. We have had a lot of clear cloudless days lately and the sunshine can be blinding. I had a near miss yesterday when a driver pulled out right in front of me. She said she could not see me because of the Sun in her eyes! I had a helmet with white stripes, high viz vest, headlights on, you will no doubt have experienced something similar. I was invisible!!! Just as well my emergency stop was good enough and the pcx brakes worked just fine!
Good sunglasses?

move to thailand.......
Sounds like a plan. We'd miss the wind, rain, salt ...

Where's my passport
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

CaptnJim wrote:A good pair of polarized sunglasses under my helmet.
I second this! Polarized sunglasses work way better than just sunglasses.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

I use a Bell MAG-9 Sena. Removeable visor with internal drop-down tinted half-size faceshield (also has full-size exterior clear faceshield). I wear with my progressive-darkening prescription glasses. Works great.

Beware of the Hun in the sun.

Best,
Bash On
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Stef-fm
Color: Grey

Post by Stef-fm »

maddiedog wrote:
CaptnJim wrote:A good pair of polarized sunglasses under my helmet.
I second this! Polarized sunglasses work way better than just sunglasses.
100 bags of cement. IOW 100% Polarized is the way to go.
Ex Honda CBR 400, Yamaha F6 Fazer, Yamaha YZF R1, KTM XCW 250, BMW R1200R Adventure, Aprilia Capanord, BMW R1150R. Current BMW R1200GS Adventure and Honda PCX 150
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ouu..yeah, late in the day when that fall sun is low? I swear it seeks me out and then we're face-to-face. (BB&B) Big! Bright! Blinding White light! o_O Yowza! My senses go to peek time! If I am anywhere near home, (at White Time), it's where I go. Ok, Enough scaredy cat chat.
I sport a Shoei FF with dark smoke shield (gets exchanged to clear when needed). Mosts times that works spot on, but when that White Sun looks me in the eye? it's Not enough. 8) Sunglasses get added to the mix. Just Gotta be Extra extra careful. Observe!!
But, ain't it beautiful with the fall foliage, wow just Amazing! ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Potoroo
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2011
Color: Black

Post by Potoroo »

Hi folks, Havent been on the forum for quite a while, too busy working.
I live in the North of England too and like Brian, I have the same problem with the low sun especially in the mornings. I have a flip up helmet and I find that when the front is raised, it acts like a peak in a simmillar way to the motocross helmets. Its fine when tootling around minor roads at slower speeds, but you really need to put the front down when its safe for you to go faster. Wouldnt like to come off with it raised though, so be careful. Incidentally, does anyone know if it is illegal in the UK to ride with your helmet front raised up. I can remember reading something along those lines years ago.
pozo

Post by pozo »

Two words: ELECTRICAL TAPE.

I put a strip of electrical tape across the top of my visor. When I'm riding into a low sun, I tilt my head down slightly so the strip covers the sun, but I'm still able to see the road. Some manufacturers sells similar dark strips (basically a tinted band) but I have found that electrical tape works just as well. It's an easy, cheap solution.