New to forum, and a new PCX 150 owner

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Re: New to forum, and a new PCX 150 owner

Post by Darth Emma »

Here is a pretty good explanation of how variator weights (sliders or roller) work.

They come in 2 different types... rollers and sliders. I see most people using sliders in the Honda Ruckus community. (I know more about Rucks than other scooter, so I'm not sure about other types.)

The lighter the weight, the quicker they push the plate out (at lower RMPs) giving you more low end torque; however you lose top end speed. The heavier the weights, they move our more slowly, so you lose low end torque, but since there is more mass rotating, it increases your top end speed. So, you need to balance the weights for your bike and the rider. Generally, a heavy rider uses lighter weights to give more low end power to help get the bike moving. A light rider will usually use heavier weights to give best top end speed because they don't need the extra power when taking off.

I hope that makes sense. I don't claim to be an expert, but I've been tinkering with variator weights in my Ruckus and that is my basic understanding.
Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Darth Emma wrote:Here is a pretty good explanation of how variator weights (sliders or roller) work.

They come in 2 different types... rollers and sliders. I see most people using sliders in the Honda Ruckus community. (I know more about Rucks than other scooter, so I'm not sure about other types.)

The lighter the weight, the quicker they push the plate out (at lower RMPs) giving you more low end torque; however you lose top end speed. The heavier the weights, they move our more slowly, so you lose low end torque, but since there is more mass rotating, it increases your top end speed. So, you need to balance the weights for your bike and the rider. Generally, a heavy rider uses lighter weights to give more low end power to help get the bike moving. A light rider will usually use heavier weights to give best top end speed because they don't need the extra power when taking off.

I hope that makes sense. I don't claim to be an expert, but I've been tinkering with variator weights in my Ruckus and that is my basic understanding.

Not totally sure that the engine torque changes in any way or the mass changes?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Changing weights simply changes where you are in the power band. Dialing in the best weights is equivelant to being on the cam in a hotrod. Another example is trying to accelerate quickly in too gear. Changing weights is the equivelant of downshifting two gears and being in the heart of the powerband of an engine.

In other words weights don't change how much power your engine makes, they just allow you to use that power more effectivly or put more power to the ground.
pongo
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

Post by pongo »

Great info. I will have to do some more studying on this. My bike takes off great and I am ok with my top speed of 60 mph, just wished it would "downshift" when going up hills to let the motor rev up more, so can maintane it's speed.
Right now the motor lugs or bogs down climbing hills, and I know it could rev higher to give it more power.
Live each day like it's your last, and one day you will be right
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

pongo wrote:Great info. I will have to do some more studying on this. My bike takes off great and I am ok with my top speed of 60 mph, just wished it would "downshift" when going up hills to let the motor rev up more, so can maintane it's speed.
Right now the motor lugs or bogs down climbing hills, and I know it could rev higher to give it more power.
Because it does not work on gears, I am not sure that this is possible.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

pongo wrote:Great info. I will have to do some more studying on this. My bike takes off great and I am ok with my top speed of 60 mph, just wished it would "downshift" when going up hills to let the motor rev up more, so can maintane it's speed.
The "downshift" is exactly where the sliders shine :D
Think about driving a car up a hill in 4th gear, you can make it up, but it would be so much better/faster if you could down shift into 3rd,
this is exactly how the 12g Dr.pulley sliders helped my PCX 150 the most.
At only about $35, probably the single most best bang for the buck performance mod for a PCX 150. 8)
Check out the performance part of the forum for more info.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Mgalutia88 wrote:The large screens cut down performance a LOT. I have a tall biondi and a short givi. The mileage difference is considerable also. The short givi is a good windbreak. You get air on your shoulders and the top of your helmet. I'm 5'6" and 170 lbs. order the short givi first before you commit to a taller screen. There's lots of wind pressure on the big screens. I found I went to 3/4 throttle at 55 and half throttle at 45 with my tall screen. In contrast with the short givi I'm at a 1/4 throttle or less to run 60-65mph.
I really don't get this. I rode this weekend and was on the highway on my 125 cruising in North GA at 67mph for over 30 minutes. I was fully geared up (+10lbs), and had the dog (+15lbs), and a bunch of luggage (~+20lbs), putting the load at roughly 200lbs total. How is my windshield ruining my performance again? :roll:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:
Mgalutia88 wrote:The large screens cut down performance a LOT. I have a tall biondi and a short givi. The mileage difference is considerable also. The short givi is a good windbreak. You get air on your shoulders and the top of your helmet. I'm 5'6" and 170 lbs. order the short givi first before you commit to a taller screen. There's lots of wind pressure on the big screens. I found I went to 3/4 throttle at 55 and half throttle at 45 with my tall screen. In contrast with the short givi I'm at a 1/4 throttle or less to run 60-65mph.
I really don't get this. I rode this weekend and was on the highway on my 125 cruising in North GA at 67mph for over 30 minutes. I was fully geared up (+10lbs), and had the dog (+15lbs), and a bunch of luggage (~+20lbs), putting the load at roughly 200lbs total. How is my windshield ruining my performance again? :roll:

Not sure, but it is making your eyes wobbly
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

you you wrote:Not sure, but it is making your eyes wobbly
It's okay, you make my knees wobbly, dearest. :oops: ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:
you you wrote:Not sure, but it is making your eyes wobbly
It's okay, you make my knees wobbly, dearest. :oops: ;)

With rage
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

At wot you will have a lower speed and less fuel economy. I can cruise at 65 at half throttle. Where was your throttle?
PhillyPCX

Post by PhillyPCX »

Welcome to the forum pongo.

I think the PCX is a great addition to your vehicle inventory.
PhillyPCX City Traveler
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Mgalutia88 wrote:At wot you will have a lower speed and less fuel economy. I can cruise at 65 at half throttle. Where was your throttle?
Not sure, it wasn't maxed. At full speed (67), I only have to go full-throttle uphills, and generally can maintain over 55mph unless I'm climbing a mountain. I average 95mpg, and get over 80mpg on highway tanks (yes, the whole tank) at WOT. If I'm going on a trip, it's not uncommon for me to just get on the highway and go at the limiter until I run out of gas, then repeat until the destination. Bear in mind that you have a 150 also, I only have a 125.

The windshield isn't any bigger than I am, I look slightly over it. If anything, it helps my aerodynamics rather than hurting it, because the windshield is more streamlined than I.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:
Mgalutia88 wrote:At wot you will have a lower speed and less fuel economy. I can cruise at 65 at half throttle. Where was your throttle?
Not sure, it wasn't maxed. At full speed (67), I only have to go full-throttle uphills, and generally can maintain over 55mph unless I'm climbing a mountain. I average 95mpg, and get over 80mpg on highway tanks (yes, the whole tank) at WOT. If I'm going on a trip, it's not uncommon for me to just get on the highway and go at the limiter until I run out of gas, then repeat until the destination. Bear in mind that you have a 150 also, I only have a 125.

The windshield isn't any bigger than I am, I look slightly over it. If anything, it helps my aerodynamics rather than hurting it, because the windshield is more streamlined than I.
A tip for the munchkins then.
pongo

Post by pongo »

Thanks for all greetings from everyone, enjoying the site a lot. Now for the update, I get my short Givi windshield Monday, and I have added a Givi 35 liter box trunk, now all I have to do is fix the seat. Tried to order one from powerbypcx, but have not gotten it to work yet, any advice on ordering?
MORON
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MORON »

yo pongo....first,,, if anyone tells you they are getting over 95 to 97 mpg on average...avoid them as this is total bullshit. doesn't matter how much they weight...NO ONE gets over 97 mpg period... I have seen idiots post 111 mpg..... hilarious...111 a tank full (1.4 us gallons) maybe. Having said that, any goob can get over 97 mpg if they go 50 mph in no wind in a tuck position on flat ground...get the point...there, unfortunately, are a few non-real world goobs on this site. ok so.... I am 210 6'3" and depending on hills and weight I am carrying, the most I have achieved is 110 a tank,(once I got this) and 95, ( on occasion) MPG. Wind is a killer as is hills. I live in a hilly area, Placerville California, and I got on average of 86 mpg... I did mod the sliders with Dr Sliders with 15 Gm sliders and instantly got another 5 mph. I was able to cruise at 69 to 70 mph on the flats... once on a steep hill however, I was reduced to 55 to 60 tops...no wind...wind, 50 to 55 mph. sliders really work and are a very economical upgrade. there are exhausts, expensive engine mods and lesser expensive pulley mods but it really all comes down to drag. weight and wind.... After a year on my 2013 PCX 150 I just traded it in and got a Honda Forza..Jury is still out on that one. very fast but still in the break-in period. drove it up the same steep hills as the PCX and was cruising at 65-75!! so nice... Overall, if you want to consistently get somewhere at freeway speeds IN ALL CONDITIONS, winds, weights, hills etc...PCX 150 ultimately does not do it. but I loved the year I had mine for what it was.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MORON wrote:yo pongo....first,,, if anyone tells you they are getting over 95 to 97 mpg on average...avoid them as this is total bullshit. doesn't matter how much they weight...NO ONE gets over 97 mpg period... I have seen idiots post 111 mpg..... hilarious...111 a tank full (1.4 us gallons) maybe. Having said that, any goob can get over 97 mpg if they go 50 mph in no wind in a tuck position on flat ground...get the point...there, unfortunately, are a few non-real world goobs on this site. ok so.... I am 210 6'3" and depending on hills and weight I am carrying, the most I have achieved is 110 a tank,(once I got this) and 95, ( on occasion) MPG. Wind is a killer as is hills. I live in a hilly area, Placerville California, and I got on average of 86 mpg... I did mod the sliders with Dr Sliders with 15 Gm sliders and instantly got another 5 mph. I was able to cruise at 69 to 70 mph on the flats... once on a steep hill however, I was reduced to 55 to 60 tops...no wind...wind, 50 to 55 mph. sliders really work and are a very economical upgrade. there are exhausts, expensive engine mods and lesser expensive pulley mods but it really all comes down to drag. weight and wind.... After a year on my 2013 PCX 150 I just traded it in and got a Honda Forza..Jury is still out on that one. very fast but still in the break-in period. drove it up the same steep hills as the PCX and was cruising at 65-75!! so nice... Overall, if you want to consistently get somewhere at freeway speeds IN ALL CONDITIONS, winds, weights, hills etc...PCX 150 ultimately does not do it. but I loved the year I had mine for what it was.
I'm sure I get over 110mpg. But you seem so sure I don't. I must be mistaken, or one of us is an idiot.
pongo

Post by pongo »

Mpg to me is not a really big issue with this scooter, mpg in the 80s to 90s would be great. What I really need for it to do is be able to stay above 55 mph on my drive to work. I got this scooter for its dry lockable storage which makes it great for errands around town, and commuting back and for to work. Top speed not an issue, but pulling hills is. I have my motorcycle for speed and performace, but it does not have dry lockable storage on it, plus it takes to much time to keep it looking good to ride in bad weather all the time.
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

you you wrote:
I'm sure I get over 110mpg. But you seem so sure I don't. I must be mistaken, or one of us is an idiot.
Or maybe a MORON... ;)
Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Darth Emma wrote:
you you wrote:
Or maybe a MORON... ;)

Cheers

Awesome comment