The reality of owning a PCX in Pattaya, Thailand

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

hatari
Regular User
Regular User

The reality of owning a PCX in Pattaya, Thailand

Post by hatari »

Turned up (without an appointment) to one of the FOURTY main Honda scooter dealers here.....

Whats brilliant about the Thais, is that they don't keep you waiting.....within 5 mins of me arriving, my bike was on the ramp with a mechanic hard at it....

The problem was that the rev limiter has been cutting in at around 90kph.........

They changed the spark plug, changed the oil, blew out the air filter and drive belt and re-set the ECU, then mechanic took it for a 15 min test ride and confirmed that all was ok......total cost 6.50 GBP........good old thailand.....

In England, where i'm from, the Honda dealers would have wanted double that just to wheel the thing onto the ramp, having kept you waiting for 2 weeks for an appointment - LOL.....

Anyway, after paying, thought it would be a good time to see what it would do flat out....

Its a 125cc, coming up to 3 years old, 14,800km on the clock, standard air filter / exhaust, but J Coster variator fitted.

Down a long dual carriageway managed to get it up to 118kph (circa 73 mph) before the rev limiter cut in......

Went back home and got my camera, and tried again......unfortunately, the traffic had built up quite a bit and this time only managed 115kph (circa 71.45 mph).....

still not bad, but definitely my last time of "high speed" testing on the PCX....i'm 53, FFS....
115kph (circa 71.4 mph)
115kph (circa 71.4 mph)
DSCN2053.JPG (186.41 KiB) Viewed 844 times
hanging on for grim death !
hanging on for grim death !
DSCN2061.JPG (143.42 KiB) Viewed 844 times
Attachments
just getting a bit to busy for my liking...
just getting a bit to busy for my liking...
DSCN2064.JPG (151.41 KiB) Viewed 844 times
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Re: The reality of owning a PCX in Pattaya, Thailand

Post by waspmike »

Sent you a message on TV. The stock air box is OK but you might wish to remove the little rubber tube on the inlet of the air box? I mad a plaster cast of both it and the rubber tube between the air box and the throttle body. The inlet one is smaller. The "beer can" looking ones are no bigger, they just allow a wider rear tire.
Won't make it any faster as that is "governed" by the ECU but it might struggle there a smidgen faster. The new 125 will do 126 indicated 115kph real.(spanish magazine).
I was trying to get another TV guy with a 150 for a side-by-side test and Jack the Yamaha Nuovo 135 fan.
BTW your unit will also fit the Click 125i, same engine.
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Re: The reality of owning a PCX in Pattaya, Thailand

Post by gokidd »

Sounds like a FUN day, Hatari!
That's sure an amazing cultural difference.
The scooter reigns in Thailand!
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400