warrantee issues

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

solo one

warrantee issues

Post by solo one »

I want to make PCX owners aware of dealers charging high prices for services regarding inspecting and adjusting valves.

I recently called one dealer out regarding this the services tends to be every 2000 miles and dealers will emphasise that they have to remove all the panels to access the cam cover etc which does not always have to be done although you may get charged for this.

The service items page in your warrantee state "Inspect and adjust (with a star next to it)then at the bottom of the page in small print a star the only if necessary.I don't want to put anyone off servicing but this i believe is to make sure that not only do you keep up with the services but ensures that the dealers get a good amount of money off you in the 2 year warrantee period.

Personally I don't think that a bike as good as a Honda needs this every 2000 miles my mates have clocked 15,000 miles on his and mine 4,000 miles.we both have not experienced any problems with our PCX,s and i will check the brake pads/shoes and also the spark plug when I do an oil change at 4000 miles and when there is a solid requirement for this adjustment it will be specifically taken to a dealer for this alone its not that I don't trust any one but a case of who I can trust.
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Re: warrantee issues

Post by Theboybilly »

Solo one, this has been the subject of numerous threads (try a search). Most folk will agree that leaving the valve clearances to 5,000 or longer is acceptable as long as their PCX is running okay. I had mine serviced at 600 and 2700 miles and the clearances were fine at the last service. My dealer told me that there really wasn't any need to adhere to the 2500 mile schedule as they'd never heard of problems anywhere with clearances. There should really be no problem arising with that little engine in 24 months or say 10,000 miles as long as you keep an eye on oil-changes. The warranties are generally a mute point. My PCX has 9 months of it's warranty left. I'm not going to worry about a stamp in a book anymore. It'll be serviced when I think it needs doing, that's all. Having a full-service (dealer) every 2500 miles will make a budget scooter very expensive in the UK.
Image[/URL
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

I have 15,452 miles on my PCX150 and until yesterday have done nothing except oil changes as far as maintenance, yesterday I changed the belt and plug. Ride it. Have fun. It's practically bulletproof.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

they dont bother to check the valves here in japan unless they are making noise or the bike isnt running right. it is a dealer revenue raising swindle in certain countries that put that in the maintenance schedule. it isnt in the maintenance schedule here in japan.
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

@haildamage. Is there a recommended interval at all for valve adjustments in Japan?
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

jkhawaii wrote:@haildamage. Is there a recommended interval at all for valve adjustments in Japan?
no, when i told him about the Honda US valve adjustment intervals my trusted head mechanic at my local flagship honda shop, the Honda Dream shop, looked it up and didnt find any recommended interval in his service manuals. he said wee would check them when the valves started to chatter or it wasnt running right.

i told him about the valve check at the first service and he checked into it, i then asked him again recently which was about two years later with the same answer after he looked it up again to make sure he wasnt mistaken.

it seems hard to believe but my take is that Honda USA is complicit in this extortionist warranty requirement rip-off scam on american PCX owners!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

scisor34 wrote:I have 15,452 miles on my PCX150 and until yesterday have done nothing except oil changes as far as maintenance, yesterday I changed the belt and plug. Ride it. Have fun. It's practically bulletproof.

Couldn't agree more
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

haildamage wrote:they dont bother to check the valves here in japan unless they are making noise or the bike isnt running right. it is a dealer revenue raising swindle in certain countries that put that in the maintenance schedule. it isnt in the maintenance schedule here in japan.

Same here in Thailand. I have 19,000 kms and the valves have not been looked at and the dealer has had the opportunity every 2500 kms to take a shot and over charge me for this and so far nothing. The belt, rollers, front and rear break pads have been replaced as a precaution and the charges were minimal.

Only dealer mishap has been a cracked lower panel that was damaged when the belt was changed. After an attempt to have me replace the part they decided it was best of they did it for me at no charge. The cost would have been about 12 USD for a new panel and labor to replace. They realized it was not worth the argument for their mistake. A smart dealer in my opinion.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

haildamage wrote:it seems hard to believe but my take is that Honda USA is complicit in this extortionist warranty requirement rip-off scam on american PCX owners!
You are mistaken.
If you look at the English language PCX owner manuals for Thailand and Europe the valve clearance check is definitely listed in the service schedule.
I would be utterly astonished if it wasn't listed in the Japan owner manual.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

My PCX will be going for its 600 mile service soon. After that I will be doing all my own servicing. I will be checking the valves every 3,000 miles as they seem to be screw and lock nut rather than bucket and shim. I can't agree that you should wait until the engine looses power before checking.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

gn2 wrote:
haildamage wrote:it seems hard to believe but my take is that Honda USA is complicit in this extortionist warranty requirement rip-off scam on american PCX owners!
You are mistaken.
If you look at the English language PCX owner manuals for Thailand and Europe the valve clearance check is definitely listed in the service schedule.
I would be utterly astonished if it wasn't listed in the Japan owner manual.
heres the japanese owners manual. have a look for yourself. バルブ is valve in japanese if you wanna do a CTRL + F search.

http://www.honda.co.jp/ownersmanual/pdf ... &model=PCX