PCX 150 in the shop again!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: PCX 150 in the shop again!

Post by WhiteNoise »

Atta' Girl!
Good idea! Have 'em listen and read the posts! Rude Donkeys! They should stay on topic...and that's fixing your scoot! Not about this' n 'that.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

That's truly unacceptable behavior from a service department. I doubt any of us have had abnormal wear caused by hard acceleration and excessively heavy loads. I've had 450 lbs on my pcx for over 20 miles with no issues. (My 65 year old father and myself). I'm just trying to say that obviously something is an issue that you are not responsible for. Try another dealer if you can't get this resolved.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Also, tell the shop to check for the free movement of the rear pulley halves on the shaft. If it is bound up, it will cause a slip.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I went to the dealer instead of calling. I figure it might get my point across better if I did it in person and this way it also kept me in check so that I wouldn't swear or raise my voice. I told him that I felt that the questions that he asked made it sound like I did something wrong. He asked if I was offended by the questions and I told him that I was. That Honda said that it was a courtesy is unacceptable. It would be a courtesy if the PCX was out of warranty and they decided to replaced the belt. There is no way that the belt should have failed after only riding the scooter for less then 600 miles and 2 months. That the replacement of the belt is part of the warranty. He said that he checked everything else out and it was just the belt. I highly doubt this when he said that you could see where rubber from the belt was on one of the pulleys. He repeatedly said that this has been a solid vehicle, (which I agree that I haven't seen many people with any problems and that's why I bought this scooter) although I get the feeling that he hasn't really had to do any repairs and he might not know what he's doing. I tired to show him the post from Petersjm and he wouldn't even look at it. While I was there he answered a phone call and made an appointment (which I though was very rude). I would have answered the phone and told the person that I was with a customer and if I could call them back when I was done. When I asked why would this be a courtesy he said, "Well I call tell you're upset and I don't want to make it worse". I told him of course I am ticked off, if this was my car I would be just as ticked as I am now, but go ahead and tell me. He said that If I had gone out and purposely tore up the transmission that why should Honda have to fix it. I told him I have been down this path with a Hyundai. That just because my husband didn't rotate the tires (because he didn't like them and was planning on buying new ones) and he changed the exhaust (because he got better MPG) that he was hot dogging it. The differential had a hole in it and it messed up the clutch and flywheel. The car was less then 18 months old and less then 18000 miles on it. When my husband called Hyundai of America the customer service said it was customer abuse. He traded that car the next day. He said he wouldn't hesitate to do the same for this scooter if we continue to have problems. He was going to buy a large bike from them but I think they may have already lost that sale. That by just replacing the belt the problem is still there. I don't want to be out on the road and the belt fails again, I don't want to be stranded somewhere. He said oh you won't be stranded that I would be able to get back home. What???? okay obviously he wasn't on the road with me when I could barely get up to 35 MPH when cars where passing me at 50 MPH.

I asked him when they would get it done. He just said that the part should be in the next day. Although the Honda representative was stopping by the next day and he was planing on talking to him about the scooter. That's all I got about when he would be done.

Sorry about venting. I am so pissed off with all of this.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

katschamne wrote:I went to the dealer instead of calling. I figure it might get my point across better if I did it in person and this way it also kept me in check so that I wouldn't swear or raise my voice. I told him that I felt that the questions that he asked made it sound like I did something wrong. He asked if I was offended by the questions and I told him that I was. That Honda said that it was a courtesy is unacceptable. It would be a courtesy if the PCX was out of warranty and they decided to replaced the belt. There is no way that the belt should have failed after only riding the scooter for less then 600 miles and 2 months. That the replacement of the belt is part of the warranty. He said that he checked everything else out and it was just the belt. I highly doubt this when he said that you could see where rubber from the belt was on one of the pulleys. He repeatedly said that this has been a solid vehicle, (which I agree that I haven't seen many people with any problems and that's why I bought this scooter) although I get the feeling that he hasn't really had to do any repairs and he might not know what he's doing. I tired to show him the post from Petersjm and he wouldn't even look at it. While I was there he answered a phone call and made an appointment (which I though was very rude). I would have answered the phone and told the person that I was with a customer and if I could call them back when I was done. When I asked why would this be a courtesy he said, "Well I call tell you're upset and I don't want to make it worse". I told him of course I am ticked off, if this was my car I would be just as ticked as I am now, but go ahead and tell me. He said that If I had gone out and purposely tore up the transmission that why should Honda have to fix it. I told him I have been down this path with a Hyundai. That just because my husband didn't rotate the tires (because he didn't like them and was planning on buying new ones) and he changed the exhaust (because he got better MPG) that he was hot dogging it. The differential had a hole in it and it messed up the clutch and flywheel. The car was less then 18 months old and less then 18000 miles on it. When my husband called Hyundai of America the customer service said it was customer abuse. He traded that car the next day. He said he wouldn't hesitate to do the same for this scooter if we continue to have problems. He was going to buy a large bike from them but I think they may have already lost that sale. That by just replacing the belt the problem is still there. I don't want to be out on the road and the belt fails again, I don't want to be stranded somewhere. He said oh you won't be stranded that I would be able to get back home. What???? okay obviously he wasn't on the road with me when I could barely get up to 35 MPH when cars where passing me at 50 MPH.

I asked him when they would get it done. He just said that the part should be in the next day. Although the Honda representative was stopping by the next day and he was planing on talking to him about the scooter. That's all I got about when he would be done.

Sorry about venting. I am so pissed off with all of this.
No problem. A good point succinctly made
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I can't believe all of the trouble you've been having? The PCX is solid, as are all Hondas so your situation is rare. I hope things will work out. If my dealer was giving me that much trouble, I would find another one. I've been fortunate with our bikes & our dealer relationship.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
chucktuna
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by chucktuna »

Interested in the follow up post too.

Obviously, it was the belt squealing and slipping. What isn't so obvious is why it was slipping.
Its a shame that the weather is turning colder, but I'd make it a point of putting as many miles on it as soon as possible
in case it is more than just a belt.
good luck
Too many scoots..... 12 or so I think .
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think I would also be actively looking for another dealer to take care of my scooter. I don't believe you are required to use the dealer you purchased the scooter from after you purchase it. The warranty is good at all Honda dealers. I think that I would also put this dealer's name out on this site as a deals to avoid!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I agree that finding another dealer might be a good idea, but possibly katshchamne is in an area like mine - ALL the dealers withing 150 miles are owned by the same group. I don't expect I would have much lick if I went to a "different" dealer.

Thea Admiral and I have done at least 300 miles two up at speeds of 40 to 50 mph, and we bury the weight limit of the PCX. I would be surprised if we are not around 370+ lb. (although I am not fool enough to get an accurate number for you all).

The machine is under warranty and you have not abused it in any way. If the dealer is making you feel than the issue is your fault, then Honda corporate needs to be notified. I would be totally urinated if the service department would not at least humor you by viewing the video documenting the same issue that you have experienced.

Good luck - I'm sorry that you have had this kind of crap for an issue that should have been not only dealt with, but investigated far more deeply.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I've found another dealer. We have three that are in the area. I just found the third because of this situation. The reason we choose this one because we have dealt with the closest one in the area twice before last year. Once when we were looking at a bike for my husband and years ago when we were looking at a scooter for him. The time with the scooter they were on backorder so long he changed his mind. Last year he came in looking to buy and they wouldn't let him even sit on a new bike and kept pushing to a used one. So we looked at reviews on this dealership and I couldn't find not one negative one. Many even mention the service guy by name and said how great he was.

Chucktuna, if I ever get it back I plan on riding the heck out of it. I don't prefer to ride in cooler temperatures (I'm a wimp) but I'll bundle up just to ride because of the issues I've been having. I don't believe it is just a belt either. My husband was really put off that the service guy didn't even look at the posts from here. I played the video for him anyway so he had no choice but to hear it. He said the time he talked to him that the service talked down to him as well. My husband is a factory maintenance mechanic and routinely replaces belts on equipment and he knows as well there is more to this then just replacing a belt. He said he could take it apart but why should he have to since it's under warranty.

Oh, I did ask the service guy for the number of Honda's customer service. You should have seen him squirm. He was looking and he said he couldn't find it. Then he tells me well it should be in the owner's manual. I told him I'm sure it is but I don't have it because it's in the scooter. He did finally come up with a number but it took him about 5 mins to find it. I do intend on calling the number too because I want to hear what the reason is on file why this part failed. If it says anything like customer abuse you can be sure that will be the end of this scooter. On Friday the belt was supposed to come in and so was the Honda rep. I thought that I might receive a call to let me know what the rep said and that didn't happen either Friday or Saturday. The next time they will be able to call me will be on Tuesday. At this time they will have my scooter 2 weeks.

Also interesting was the call he took in the middle of me talking to him. When I called the first time to bring in the scooter they didn't have any opening until 4 business days later. When the person called in he was able to get in the next day anytime. Meanwhile he was chit chatting with the guy while I stood there. Just an observation but why would you let an upset customer stand there and get even more upset while you take the phone call. I would have taken a message and called them back after I dealt with the pissed off customer.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I'm sure Honda will send you a survey after the warranty repair.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

katschamne wrote:Oh, I did ask the service guy for the number of Honda's customer service. You should have seen him squirm. He was looking and he said he couldn't find it. Then he tells me well it should be in the owner's manual. I told him I'm sure it is but I don't have it because it's in the scooter. He did finally come up with a number but it took him about 5 mins to find it.
From your explanation here, I am wondering if he even called Honda himself. It sounds like he us just jacking you around. I'd be going online and getting whatever number you can for Honda and raising as much stink as you can. There is not reasonable excuse to take two weeks, particularly when you overhear him telling another customer that he can come in any time the next day.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Pick of Penang

Post by Pick of Penang »

If it's a franchise outlet I'd sure as hell make a formal written complaint about this droid to Honda and also identify the owning company and make a complaint to the MD by letter again (both by 'signed for' delivery. Even then not much might happen, BUT it will get your issues on record elsewhere than at this particular outlet (useful if the problem becomes recurring or if related problems arise - you don't know what this place has and has not entered on its service record!) and this jerk MIGHT get what's coming to him, or a very uneasy few days at least!!
chucktuna

Post by chucktuna »

I'm going to play the devils advocate here:

First off, calls to Honda to complain about anything other than the product itself will be a waste of breath.
Focus on getting the scoot repaired correctly. Honda has very little power over what their dealers do.
Comments about phone calls and scheduling fairness, and the managers attitude wont result in any action other than the dealer remembering that you were a problem customer..in their minds at least.

Secondly, the belt, like brakes and tires are considered wear items and are not warranted under normal circumstances.
That is why they are questioning use or abuse. The dealer wont be paid by Honda for the warranty claim (parts or labor) if anything fishy comes up. In fact, If I were the dealer, I'd be digging for the root cause to cover my ass.

Again, put as many miles on it before the warranty expires. If the same problem happens next year, what are you going to do then? The other dealers wont want to mess with it out of warranty, and the dealer that did the work knows your pissed at them, so they wont go to bat for you. It's best not to end up in a shouting match on the showroom floor, I've seen it before and nobody usually wins.
Just my .02c worth
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well the one thing you CAN do is complain to the Better Business Bureau. You could also see if there is a way to voice your frustration online. Customers don't like dealers who won't act on your behalf when it comes to problems with the merchandise. I can't remember where I read about various dealers but when I was looking for a dealer I looked at customer comments on the web first. Maybe they have a comments area on their own website. It would be very interesting to see how long it would take them to contact you if they had a complaint on their website.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

chucktuna wrote:calls to Honda to complain about anything other than the product itself will be a waste of breath.
Focus on getting the scoot repaired correctly. Honda has very little power over what their dealers do.
Honda USA has a great deal of leverage to bring down upon under performing dealers. Every dealer gets a quarterly report card and the biggest indicator are the scores on the customer surveys sales and from service visits. If the dealer falls below the acceptable level. Honda will not issue the hold back money which is based on sales and given as an incentive. It could cost thousands. Phone calls to Honda are also dreaded by the dealers as they immediately trigger an email to the factory rep who will use it as a reason to hound the dealer.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Just remember, don't punish a scooter you enjoy because of a pathetic dealer. That's like getting rid of a dog because your vet screwed you over on a bill. Just think about it.
Pick of Penang

Post by Pick of Penang »

sendler2112 wrote:
chucktuna wrote:calls to Honda to complain about anything other than the product itself will be a waste of breath.
Honda USA has a great deal of leverage to bring down upon under performing dealers. Every dealer gets a quarterly report card and the biggest indicator are the scores on the customer surveys sales and from service visits. If the dealer falls below the acceptable level. Honda will not issue the hold back money which is based on sales and given as an incentive. It could cost thousands. Phone calls to Honda are also dreaded by the dealers as they immediately trigger an email to the factory rep who will use it as a reason to hound the dealer.
Indeed. And I'd far sooner tackle the issue than merely accept that you are at the mercy of every schmuck a particular outlet may wish to employ. I have also found that franchises for the big names are very concerned about people making complaints direct to the brand owner. I've usually found Honda quite good and not at all keen on having their name tarnished by poor attitudes in franchised dealerships and / or service outlets. In addition, if this outlet is part of a bigger concern (or even if it's not really) the owner might well be none to pleased at the reputation the outlet might get. It's not the dealer or the outlet you would be pissed at I suspect, rather this one particular individual.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I did call Honda USA they said that the reason that they will replace the belt as a courtesy is that if it falls under warranty all parts are sent to Honda Japan. If the parts aren't deemed defective they won't pay for the repair.This would never fly if it was a car. He said that the service guys said that the possible reason for the belt failure is weight. They will replace the belt and clean off the clutch were there was melted rubber on it. I understand that tires, clutches and belts are a wear items but there is no way that less than 500 miles constituted normal wear without an underlying cause. If that is the case that I will replacing the belt every 500 miles then you can be sure that I will be getting rid of this scooter. If my weight is an issue I wouldn't have bought the scooter and Honda needs to revise the scooter's weight limit.

I would never push the scooter just because I'm pissed at the dealer but I will ride it as much as I can before the warranty runs out. I was planing on the extended warranty which I have until the middle of July to add on. Worst case is that I will trade or sell it for another make and model. I doubt that I will take the scooter back to this dealer once I get it back.

I work in retail so I would never yell, swear or raise my voice at another salesperson or service guy. It never ends well if that happens but you can make your point and let them understand that you aren't happy with them or their service. That is the reason I actually drove all the way there instead of a phone call.

The Honda Rep on the phone said that actually it is a good idea to call them and inform them of the issue as well. This way it says that I have a concern about the product. Otherwise it just looks like a normal service call. He said that if it does recur that I should make sure that I call them as well so that they will look more into the problem.

Now is the waiting game to see when I will be able to pick up my scooter and if they actually fix the problem.
chucktuna

Post by chucktuna »

katschamne wrote:I did call Honda USA they said that the reason that they will replace the belt as a courtesy is that if it falls under warranty all parts are sent to Honda Japan. If the parts aren't deemed defective they won't pay for the repair.This would never fly if it was a car..
That is Honda's policy on their automotive products as well.

I think you will be happy with the scoot in the long run. It just sucks that you are having to deal with all this instead of enjoying your PCX like it should be enjoyed.