Using non-oxygenated (no ethanol) fuel in PCX 150???

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Dude

Using non-oxygenated (no ethanol) fuel in PCX 150???

Post by Old Dude »

I have a couple questions about using Oxygenated fuel (ethanol 87 octane) or non-oxygenated (pure gas 91 octane) for every day use?

I bought my used 2013 PCX 150 a few days ago with 400 miles on it and filled the tank with pure gas 91 octane (no ethanol). In Minnesota we have some stations that sell pure gas. It's generally 91 octane (Shell V91 is one example). The pump says "For older cars and collector cars, motorcycles and small engines."

The 150 owner's manual says, "If you plan to use oxygenated fuel (ethanol) . . .", then it goes on to talk about using 86 octane ethnol fuel or higher. This appears to me the preferred gas to use is pure gas with no ethanol. By the statement alone "If you plan to use oxygenated fuel", to me infers that the preferred fuel is pure gas but if you should use ethanol for whatever reason (state regulations where pure gas is not allowed to be sold or just can't find pure gas), that it's okay to use ethanol so long as it is no higher than E10 and at least 86 octane.

As I under it, and correct me if I'm wrong, pure gas has a higher BTU or therm output per gallon than ethanol, so I'm going to get a little more mileage out of a gallon of gas as well as if I don't ride it for a while I won't be getting corn syrup and gums and other gunk buildup in my gas tank associated with ethanol fuels.

I'm using pure gas 91 octane in my 6.5 hp lawnmower and 11 hp snowblower with no problems. I simply add a fuel stabilizer for winter and summer storage and they both take right off when their particular season starts.

The 150 manual says to use 86 or higher octane fuels. There is no prohibition against using 89, 91 or 93 octane. Just a prohibition against using higher than E10 ethanol and no lower than 86 octane ethanol fuel if you plan to use oxygenated fuel.

I'm going to be storing the 150 soon for five months over the winter and will be leaving some pure gas in the tank along with a good fuel stabilizer. I'll probably go out to the garage once every week or two and start the 150 up just to run some gas through the motor and maybe clear out anything that might be built up.

Does anybody see anything wrong with running pure gas in the 150 Honda engine or with any of my thoughts above? It's my basic understanding that pure gas is the way to go if it's available and since there is no mention of octane limits in the manual that 91 octane is fine.

Thanks.
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Using non-oxygenated (no ethanol) fuel in PCX 150???

Post by CaptnJim »

Pure gas would be my preference... impossible to find in deep south Texas. I'm a boat captain - ethanol is creating all kinds of havoc in marine gas engines; let it sit for any length of time, and the stuff stratifies. Ethanol is bad to leave for any length of time in a tank.

I recently started our PCXes after 5 months away... fuel stabilizer used... they both fired right up. I love fuel injection!

BTW, I recommend Sta-bil blue formula - we use it in all our gas vehicles/vessels.

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
Old Dude

Post by Old Dude »

Thanks Cap for the advice. I'll look for the blue formula.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Old Dude wrote:I have a couple questions about using Oxygenated fuel (ethanol 87 octane) or non-oxygenated (pure gas 91 octane) for every day use?

I bought my used 2013 PCX 150 a few days ago with 400 miles on it and filled the tank with pure gas 91 octane (no ethanol). In Minnesota we have some stations that sell pure gas. It's generally 91 octane (Shell V91 is one example). The pump says "For older cars and collector cars, motorcycles and small engines."

The 150 owner's manual says, "If you plan to use oxygenated fuel (ethanol) . . .", then it goes on to talk about using 86 octane ethnol fuel or higher. This appears to me the preferred gas to use is pure gas with no ethanol. By the statement alone "If you plan to use oxygenated fuel", to me infers that the preferred fuel is pure gas but if you should use ethanol for whatever reason (state regulations where pure gas is not allowed to be sold or just can't find pure gas), that it's okay to use ethanol so long as it is no higher than E10 and at least 86 octane.

As I under it, and correct me if I'm wrong, pure gas has a higher BTU or therm output per gallon than ethanol, so I'm going to get a little more mileage out of a gallon of gas as well as if I don't ride it for a while I won't be getting corn syrup and gums and other gunk buildup in my gas tank associated with ethanol fuels.

I'm using pure gas 91 octane in my 6.5 hp lawnmower and 11 hp snowblower with no problems. I simply add a fuel stabilizer for winter and summer storage and they both take right off when their particular season starts.

The 150 manual says to use 86 or higher octane fuels. There is no prohibition against using 89, 91 or 93 octane. Just a prohibition against using higher than E10 ethanol and no lower than 86 octane ethanol fuel if you plan to use oxygenated fuel.

I'm going to be storing the 150 soon for five months over the winter and will be leaving some pure gas in the tank along with a good fuel stabilizer. I'll probably go out to the garage once every week or two and start the 150 up just to run some gas through the motor and maybe clear out anything that might be built up.

Does anybody see anything wrong with running pure gas in the 150 Honda engine or with any of my thoughts above? It's my basic understanding that pure gas is the way to go if it's available and since there is no mention of octane limits in the manual that 91 octane is fine.

Thanks.
Use any forecourt petrol
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I use the cheap 86 or 87 grade gas at the pump. It's all 10% ethanol around here. I haven't had an issue in 8000 miles.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

maddiedog wrote:I use the cheap 86 or 87 grade gas at the pump. It's all 10% ethanol around here. I haven't had an issue in 8000 miles.
As long as you frequently use the scooter, the ethanol gets "rotated," and has less opportunity to separate out the moisture (causing corrosion). When we stored our scooters recently, non-ethanol fuel is not available in our area; thus the reason for the Blue Formula Sta-Bil (do not use the red formula with ethanol laced gas).

Ethanol has fewer btu's than pure gas - you get less miles per gallon compared to pure gas. So, while the lower grade gas may have the same octane as with or without ethanol, there will be an efficiency difference... besides the corrosive effects of ethanol.

Ride the scoot a bunch, to keep the fuel fresh. Ethanol does NOT store well.

Seriously, if you can find NON-ethanol fuel, it is better.

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s