NH Motorcycle Exam

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: NH Motorcycle Exam

Post by dustin91 »

Congrats!
Leethal88
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Leethal88 »

Thanks man!
- Lee

Owns: '13 Honda PCX 150, '97 Honda Civic LX
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well, as you will recall, I warned you about the circles within the box. Many people ask how important those are as compares to real time riding. I can think of multiple cases, such as coming to a stop light at which you want to turn right, but the car in front of you is blocking your way unless you can go real slow and turn without leaning at the corner. Inexperienced riders would not be able to do that. Or try to imagine riding in a parking lot that has people backing out without looking. You have to be able to act fast and maneuver out of the way of those fools who jump into their cars and throw them into reverse before they have even closed the door or looked behind them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Leethal88
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Leethal88 »

Yeah I agree all the stuff I did basically showed I am competent to ride in real world and can balance and maneuver properly. Now all my riding is just practicing to be a better rider
- Lee

PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

Leethal88 wrote:Oh wow, yeah the test wasn't bad I passed. The weaving thru cones wasn't as bad as I thought the hardest for me was the u turn I hit some of the yellow. I got docked on the braking suddenly part.. Something about they measure speed and stopping but it was hard for me to get up to a good speed and brake too, regardless I got 8 points taken off total max was 10 so I was a happy camper, got my new license, registered the PCX and now my story riding on 2 wheels begins! :)
I had the same problem you did with the turn and put a foot down. The only other thing I did wrong was failing to brake before a turn. The PCX slows down so much when you let off the throttle that you really don't need to. I think I missed the same number of points you did. As long as they passed me I was OK. Since then, practice riding has helped and now I think I'd have no problem going through the whole test. In this state (Utah) I'm limited on my license to up to 249cc. If I buy anything over that I have to retest. The only thing I'd consider is a Forza but my PCX is new and I'm happy with it for my needs right now.
Anyway, congrats on passing the test and happy riding!
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

PKrellner wrote:
Leethal88 wrote:Oh wow, yeah the test wasn't bad I passed. The weaving thru cones wasn't as bad as I thought the hardest for me was the u turn I hit some of the yellow. I got docked on the braking suddenly part.. Something about they measure speed and stopping but it was hard for me to get up to a good speed and brake too, regardless I got 8 points taken off total max was 10 so I was a happy camper, got my new license, registered the PCX and now my story riding on 2 wheels begins! :)
I had the same problem you did with the turn and put a foot down. The only other thing I did wrong was failing to brake before a turn. The PCX slows down so much when you let off the throttle that you really don't need to. I think I missed the same number of points you did. As long as they passed me I was OK. Since then, practice riding has helped and now I think I'd have no problem going through the whole test. In this state (Utah) I'm limited on my license to up to 249cc. If I buy anything over that I have to retest. The only thing I'd consider is a Forza but my PCX is new and I'm happy with it for my needs right now.
Anyway, congrats on passing the test and happy riding!

I find it interesting that you have "classes" of cycle licenses. Here in SD anything over 50cc needs a motorcycle license, doesnt matter if you have a 150 PCX or a 1100 Goldwing. All the same license.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:I find it interesting that you have "classes" of cycle licenses. Here in SD anything over 50cc needs a motorcycle license, doesnt matter if you have a 150 PCX or a 1100 Goldwing. All the same license.
Pretty sure it's the same here in New Jersey, which to me is pretty damn scary. No way should I have been able to take a three-day class, pass the test, and then go get a 1,600cc bike!
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

dustin91 wrote:
~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:I find it interesting that you have "classes" of cycle licenses. Here in SD anything over 50cc needs a motorcycle license, doesnt matter if you have a 150 PCX or a 1100 Goldwing. All the same license.
Pretty sure it's the same here in New Jersey, which to me is pretty damn scary. No way should I have been able to take a three-day class, pass the test, and then go get a 1,600cc bike!
Well the principles are the same, its the weight and handling that really changes. I agree though, even if you have been riding a scooter for twenty years, going up to 1100 cc motorcycle and learning to shift and brake with your feet is completely different.
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

~Cheap_Ride~ wrote:
dustin91 wrote:
Well the principles are the same, its the weight and handling that really changes. I agree though, even if you have been riding a scooter for twenty years, going up to 1100 cc motorcycle and learning to shift and brake with your feet is completely different.
I'm sure the classes are there so you can't jump up to a big bike. It's annoying to know I can't step up to a Forza without another test even though it's only a 50cc increase over what I'm licensed to ride now. Shifting to me apparently isn't the reason for the classes since I can obviously got up to a 249cc bike I'd have to shift.
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Congrats on passing. Every size scooter in Ohio needs a motorcycle license, from 49cc to 850 etc. Mopeds don't count because they are labeled motorized bicycles & not motorcycles. People do borrow small scooters to test on & then go buy sport bikes & crash them. I've never agreed with our "one size fits all" licensing & testing.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Here is the surprising thing to me about the tests here. No matter what the cc's are over 49cc's, you have to take the same riding test. I was skeptical about bigger bikes being able to do the circles on the course, but one of the instructors told me that there were smaller women on Harleys who took AND passed the test with no problems. I opted to take my test on my wife's PCX, though I have taken the test in other states on big bikes, and I rode over to the test facility on a Burgman.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

8) Cheers Lee! Done!! :P Keep on riding & perfecting! ;) (that's what I tell myself each ride).
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Leethal88
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Leethal88 »

Hmm interesting yeah here in NH now I passed with my PCX I can ride any motorcycle I please, didn't know different states did it differently
- Lee

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

But just south of you, in Massachusetts, if you take your test on a scooter, you have a "limited" motorcycle license and can legally only ride the type of machine that you passed the test on. Since I took the MSF course, I took the test on one of their Honda Nighthawks. My license is good for anything (crazy as that may be).

What is truly insane is that I can get my learner's permit and then get any motorcycle that I want to. Learning on some huge machine seems suicidal! MAybe MA is using some sort of Darwinian selection...
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

I have to wonder then if there are states with "classes" of licenses, how does it affect insurance and plate fees? In theory scooter plates and insurance rates should be lower then some giant 1500cc Victory cruiser.
Leethal88
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Leethal88 »

Yeah we'll my registration was only 80 for a year and insurance is under 30 a month with full coverage, of course winter months I won't be paying that so it's still pretty affordable
- Lee

Leethal88
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Leethal88 »

WhiteNoise wrote:8) Cheers Lee! Done!! :P Keep on riding & perfecting! ;) (that's what I tell myself each ride).
Thank you very much! I sure will
- Lee

ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

the hubby and I were just talking about the S turns on the course the other day. we both went thru the course and both had trouble on those darn figure 8 turns. the thing is, the people that taught the course said we would never use them but had to pass them. think about it, when you want to back up on the road, you do a 3 pt turn or a u turn. o well, I passed and got my license in Pa. that's all that counts!
NanoCycle

Post by NanoCycle »

Hi, I got my NH motorcycle license by taking and passing the NH Motorcycle Safety Course. I had never ridden a motorcycle before but passed the course the first time. I would recommend the course.

I am looking for others near me to possibly start a PCX riders club.
Leethal88
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Leethal88 »

Where in NH are you from? I'm in manch
- Lee