Valve check every 5,000 miles??

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Valve check every 5,000 miles??

Post by strkngfang »

I know Honda recommends every 2,500 but isn't this overkill? Others I've talked to claim this is more for generating revenue than an engine necessity & some even at 15,000 miles have never actually needed any adjusting after a check.
I'm only being charged an extra 70.00 to do it, so not horrible, but still costly.
Good or bad idea? Can you tell from riding when you need one?
I'm just under 2,000 mi presently, so I'm fast approaching.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Valve check every 5,000 miles??

Post by you you »

strkngfang wrote:I know Honda recommends every 2,500 but isn't this overkill? Others I've talked to claim this is more for generating revenue than an engine necessity & some even at 15,000 miles have never actually needed any adjusting after a check.
I'm only being charged an extra 70.00 to do it, so not horrible, but still costly.
Good or bad idea? Can you tell from riding when you need one?
I'm just under 2,000 mi presently, so I'm fast approaching.
Lots of different views but mine is that if it's starting fine, running fine and ticking over fine then it's fine
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

I checked mine myself at 600. All valves needed adjusted. Checked again at 3,500. No adjustment needed. Checked again a month ago, 7,500 miles. No adjustment needed. I plan on checking at the end of each riding season, regardless of miles.

I average about 7000 miles a year. If the valves hold spec in that time. I'll bump it to 10k, and do tires, air filter, drive belt, final drive oil, and fork oil change, all while I have the PCX stored in my garage for winter, Heated and well lighted garage makes working on the scooter very easy in the winter.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

OriginalRocket wrote:I checked mine myself at 600. All valves needed adjusted. Checked again at 3,500. No adjustment needed. Checked again a month ago, 7,500 miles. No adjustment needed. I plan on checking at the end of each riding season, regardless of miles.

I average about 7000 miles a year. If the valves hold spec in that time. I'll bump it to 10k, and do tires, air filter, drive belt, final drive oil, and fork oil change, all while I have the PCX stored in my garage for winter, Heated and well lighted garage makes working on the scooter very easy in the winter.

Fair enough. A run through during the winter is enjoyable if you have the facilities
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

My view is that it is all to generate revenue as you said. If the scoot runs well and the fuel consumption is still good, then the valves do not need adjusting.
I just had my scoot serviced and the Honda dealer wanted to charge £150 because the valves needed checking. Went to another bike shop and they only did what was nessasary for £80, still too much but the scoot still under warranty.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

I asked a Honda dealer, they said they don't check it until 5k or 10k, cant remember what they said but it wasn't under 5k.

Tbh, I use to worry but now since I've had it for a year from new, I know what to expect from its sound/ride/feel and its not changed much since new. Long as it doesn't rattle then your good, I think you'll know once it starts going bad.

Mine is coming up for its 5k service, to keep it within warranty I use the dealer which is normally less than 100 and the bike gets washed lol.

After the warranty, its DIY servicing, I'm just lazy lol
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I'm at the 2,500 mile mark & I've decided to put off having the dealer do a valve check until 5K, per everyone's advice & the fact that the bike is running great. According to the maintenance schedule, the only actual non inspection that is needed now is to clean the crankcase breather. Is there much to this, it doesn't look like you have to remove any plastic? I'd rather not pay them for one minor thing???
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

The crankcase breather is the small clear plastic tubing coming out of the black airfilter box, and resting on top of the final drive/belt casing.

If you see oil in it (brown stuff) remove tubing and drain it, you don't have to get all the oil out, just what flows.

Also pull the airfilter cover off, and clean the airbox, as the oil literally runs down the airbox into that clear tubing.

I think their are 10 screws, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM They screw into plastic!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I decided to wait on valve adjustment on our PCX until 5k. It is now time and it has problems reaching its top end, so I am guessing that it needs the valves adjusted. Otherwise I would not know that it needs it. That is a Honda. Very dependable and doesn't complain until it is pushed.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

That's what I plan on doing. The bike goes away mid November until mid February so it will get a service then.