CVT mods for PCX 150?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: CVT mods for PCX 150?

Post by sendler2112 »

Any weird wear on them? You might want to get new ones.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

So is the only difference that the sliders are taller than the rollers and you could use the sliders in a standard variator?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

We both have stock variators and the Dr.Pulley sliders make a nice upgrade. They seem to have less friction so they respond to engine torque changes quicker and they offer a slightly broader range of gearing because each surface of the slider is optimized to do a certain job which also eliminates the wear that rollers get when the edge of the ramp digs into the material when they are all the way out. Follow the link to see how they differ from rollers. A lighter than stock weight is also chosen when replacing in order to raise the rpm the scooter operates at when accelerating to get it closer to the power peak at 8,000 rpm which makes it faster and climb better.
http://www.unionmaterial.com/rollerweight6.htm
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:We both have stock variators and the Dr.Pulley sliders make a nice upgrade. They seem to have less friction so they respond to engine torque changes quicker and they offer a slightly broader range of gearing because each surface of the slider is optimized to do a certain job which also eliminates the wear that rollers get when the edge of the ramp digs into the material when they are all the way out. Follow the link to see how they differ from rollers. A lighter than stock weight is also chosen when replacing in order to raise the rpm the scooter operates at when accelerating to get it closer to the power peak at 8,000 rpm which makes it faster and climb better.
http://www.unionmaterial.com/rollerweight6.htm

So what weight is the best for an absolutely stock bike?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I'm running 12gm. I thought they would be way too light when they were the only weight I could get because the stock rollers were 18 gm in my PCX150. I tried them anyway as I thought I would be able to add mass to them if I wanted. It turns out they are perfect, raising the rpm when accelerating hard to 7,900. The pleasant surprise was that I suffered no loss of fuel economy. The rpms still drop to 5-6,000 rpm around town but zip right up with an increase of 2,000 rpm whenever you crack the throttle. More details in the original thread.
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=600
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:I'm running 12gm. I thought they would be way too light when they were the only weight I could get because the stock rollers were 18 gm in my PCX150. I tried them anyway as I thought I would be able to add mass to them if I wanted. It turns out they are perfect, raising the rpm when accelerating hard to 7,900. The pleasant surprise was that I suffered no loss of fuel economy. The rpms still drop to 5-6,000 rpm around town but zip right up with an increase of 2,000 rpm whenever you crack the throttle. More details in the original thread.

I might get some for a bit of an experiment
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

you you wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:I'm running 12gm. I thought they would be way too light when they were the only weight I could get because the stock rollers were 18 gm in my PCX150. I tried them anyway as I thought I would be able to add mass to them if I wanted. It turns out they are perfect, raising the rpm when accelerating hard to 7,900. The pleasant surprise was that I suffered no loss of fuel economy. The rpms still drop to 5-6,000 rpm around town but zip right up with an increase of 2,000 rpm whenever you crack the throttle. More details in the original thread.

I might get some for a bit of an experiment
F me.....old chap you feeling alright?!
Remember what you said:'its ridiculously slow bike, that's the part of its charm...'
Lol......
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Pcxdemon wrote:you feeling alright?!
He has turned over a new leaf.
Scompton1

Post by Scompton1 »

I have moved up to the 16g Dr. Pulley Sliders and bypassed my FI controller. Results are solid. It is a better balance with the LV exhaust and the lower revs keeps the sound down even more. Acceleration is not as fast of the line as the 12g's were, but it is stronger mid range and increased top speed to above 122kph. I can feel the belt shutter alot at initial acceleration but once moving, acceleration is smooth and strong. Like I said, with the louder exhaust, the 16g is a good fit as it keeps the revving down. I don't feel any loss of power other than initial acceleration of the line, and the approx 15kph gained at the top end is a fair trade off IMO. I may meet half way and try the 14g option just to see what happens with initial acceleration and top speed.

The ECU seems more than capable of handling the exhaust and high performance air intake upgrades. With the FI Controller, my gas mileage was horrible. Performance wise, seems no different overall, so I am back on the ECU. My aftermarket Tach is not reading accurately so hopefully when I get the Kitaco dash installed next week, I can give specs referencing RPM's.

That is my update at this point.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:

I don't mind fiddling with things, its just I don't expect to change the nature of the "beast"
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

you you wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:

.. just I don't expect to change the nature of the "beast"

Indeed... ;)

Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

Are there other sizes of the 12g sliders? I know there's different weights, but I'm refering to dimensions. I need to replace the rollers and want to b sure to get the correct size.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The PCX takes 20mmx15mm rollers or sliders.
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

Thanks Sendler.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:The PCX takes 20mmx15mm rollers or sliders.

Any recommendations on where to buy from. Some of the eBay prices are ridiculous
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Just have to shop for the best price you can find. And, ours are a rare size.
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

which is kinda wierd for honda i have found a lot of hondas that match other scoots but that is also on the small cc sizes.
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

sendler2112 wrote:Any weird wear on them? You might want to get new ones.
Yeah, they have very small(like .5mm) grooves on a couple of the faces, if they ever stick again I will get new ones.
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

I had a "Homer" moment like Dashredder installing sliders in the variator on my Fly150. Top end dropped 10mph. After checking and reinstalling correctly all was well again. Top speed was back and acceleration feels smoother and quicker 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Driller wrote:I had a "Homer" moment like Dashredder installing sliders in the variator on my Fly150. Top end dropped 10mph. After checking and reinstalling correctly all was well again. Top speed was back and acceleration feels smoother and quicker 8)
Where did you get them from!!