Securing My PCX 125 on a trailer

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Lecompte
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Securing My PCX 125 on a trailer

Post by Lecompte »

Need some advice/tips on securing my PCX on my utility trailer. I purchased the device to help
hold the front wheel in place. I also have the "handlebar holders" which I slip over the ends of
the throttle and the left grip. My problem seems to be on the rear part of the bike. Despite placing a
towel across the rear of the seat, my ratchet tie downs seem to work themselves loose. Normally
I am not traveling that far (5 miles +/-), but they do come loose.

The last time this happened I put the bike on the side stand but the rachets still came loose. As a
rule of thumb, should I be using the side stand or the center stand? As I write this, it just popped
in my mind there may be a Youtube on this very issue! Anyway, any comments would be appreciated.

Also, for you loyal readers, etc., the reason for the transport issue is the bike was being brought to
a shop for some panel replacement. In order for me to get my "M" endorsement on my Drivers License,
the scooter must be working properly and right now the turn signals are on the blink because of a
minor accident. So we are getting all of that taken care of in order to move on with life. At this
time it is probably proper to give accolades to http://www.Bikebandit.com for great service in supplying me
with the parts I needed. Great pricing, quick delivery, and no freight fee because I ordered slightly over
$100 worth of parts.

Lecompte
2011 PCX (White)
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Securing My PCX 125 on a trailer

Post by dasshreddar »

Start with the side stand down ( don't use the center stand).
Ratchet the bars down like you do, and use the 3rd strap through the rear wheel( tie to back corners of the trailer?)
4 tie points(3 straps) should be plenty, one on each side of the handlebar and one for the rear wheel.
that's how I did it when I brought mine home in the back of my truck. ;)
Lecompte
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Lecompte »

So no harm or damage will be done to the rear wheel by ratcheting it down pretty good?

Lecompte
PCX 125 (White)
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

No harm, use a rag to protect the wheel paint.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't think this will help you right now, but we use the tail-box rack as the tie down point for the rear.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

[quote="Lecompte"]Need some advice/tips on securing my PCX on my utility trailer. As a
rule of thumb, should I be using the side stand or the center stand?

I think there was another topic about this recently and it was decided that you should use neither stand. just use your tie downs and ratchet straps and the bike should be straight up on wheels, not on either stand.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Good info on this in the how-to here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=319

Kim is right, you should NEVER have the bike on the kickstand, and especially shouldn't have it on the centerstand. You probably will break the engine casing with regular hauling on the centerstand -- it is NOT designed to do that.

Secure the rear right here:
http://hondapcx.org/download/file.php?id=368

^ That's a strong frame component.

If you don't understand how to secure to a trailer without the stand, reply again and I'll make a video specifically for the PCX.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

Yes. Don't ratchet down your straps with the side stand down(it could bend), but unless you got 3 hands it's hard to do :)
So, tighten the right side strap first(takes the weight off the side stand)(ment to say that earlier), then tighten the left side strap.
Then strap the rear, you could also use the lower part of the shock mounts to strap(I've also done it this way).
Lecompte
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Lecompte »

Thanks to everyone for their input. I certainly learned what to do and more importantly,
what not to do! More than likely I won't be hauling the PCX very often at all, but it sure
helps to learn from you guys the proper way to do things.

Thanks again!!

Lecompte
2011 PCX 125 (White)