Drive belt

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

sedli

Re: Drive belt

Post by sedli »

So, You want say me, this is normal and I worry unnecessarily? Sorry GN2, I´m not a serviceman and perhaps I have driven many kilometers in our country on this scooter, nobody else this still does not solve.
So everything what pcx need is new original belt, rollers and guides ?
Attachments
variátor (13).jpg
variátor (13).jpg (31.87 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Live to Ride - Ride to Live
Honda PCX 1.generation; 26000 Km
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

How many kilometres has it done?
You need a new belt at 24,000.
Rollers might be ok, guides should definitely be ok at that distance.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Makes me laugh when people talk about the unused bit, they never think about whats happening at the other end and the belt length...
My belt doesn't have an end.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

At the other end of the transmission casing, you plonker.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
sedli

Post by sedli »

The guides are like new. The rollers have a pad. They must be replaced. I have no photo. It's composed again. Now I have driven 26,000 kilometers.
Carpathian hawk

Post by Carpathian hawk »

sedli wrote:But how you can see on the first photo, the belt can´t go on the upper part of variator. It cause it that, the maximal speed is lesser than before...Before pcx take 110 km/h, now only 100 km/h.....Do you thing, it want only new belt and leash and everything will be how before ? Thnx.
I think you should take it "step by step"....only change the belt. Do it and see what happen.

Your are ok with speed of 100km/h. In my Certificat of Origin is printed that my "2013 PCX150" is restricted at 101 km/h. I did not test the maximum, because I am still in "the breaking in" stage. I will see!

As GN2 said, your variator is looking normal for 26 k km; you can go to 50 k km. So I guess also you do not need to change the rolls & sliders. But it depends how perfectionist you are. And what "margins" you can accept, considering Service Manual.

The traces of the belt on the variator parts coresponding to the constant speed you use your scooter. Try to keep in mind that if you use every second the throttle (easy UP & DOWN), so you do not ride with constant speed, the variator parts will be worn uniform. I know that is not easy way to drive on a motorway or on a long boring trip, when we get habit to ride at the constant speed.
The belt is one of the most important "consumable" of the scooter.

So keep us informed with your actions and results, in respect to learn from you.
Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX150 red, 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 red.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

The best way to tell if you need to change rollers and slide bushings is to examine them with the variator off in your hand. Rollers can develop flat spots in them. The slide bushings can wear also in the v groove. If you find you have one or both of these have happened to you then replace them. They are inexpensive and should bring some life back to your bike. If you know the belt to be bad, my guess at least would be the rollers are starting to flatten.

By the way, when I was learning and experimenting with different weights on my zuma, I would pull the variator off and check the bushings and the rollers by holding the pully in my hand and seeing how freely those rollers moved. I only once had rollers that started getting flat. I soon after changed variators to the larger style 16x13 roller weights and never had that issue for the rest of the time I had the bike.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:At the other end of the transmission casing, you plonker.

No, still no end to it

Did you mean “side”?
sedli

Post by sedli »

Hey, I could write you what's new. I still have the original variator, but I have purchased new parts. Currently I have driven 18,890 miles and this is done to stop riding in the winter. Then all exchanges. New Multivar variator Malossi, Malossi belt, pulleys original Honda. Right i do valves, oil and filter. A new season will be able to start :-)
Attachments
IMG_20131201_205701.jpg
IMG_20131201_205701.jpg (96.82 KiB) Viewed 778 times