2013 PCX 150 won’t fire and fuel guage flashes

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

no1gibsonfan@aol.com
Year: 2013
Color: Red

2013 PCX 150 won’t fire and fuel guage flashes

Post by no1gibsonfan@aol.com »

Hi all. Newbie here today.
Our 2013 PCX 150 with 61. 0 miles on it won’t fire and fuel guage flashes. Topped off battery and added new fuel. The fuel gauge flashes but the bike only cranks for one second and then stops cranking even though I have the start button still engaged.
Any ideas? Obviously, it sits most of the time but we do start it up periodically until today.
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: 2013 PCX 150 won’t fire and fuel guage flashes

Post by airhead83 »

2013 PCX with 61.0 miles. Does the bike still have the original battery? Normally 5-6 years old would be a REALLY good lifespan for a 12V battery.
A battery can read +12V after a "charge", but instantly drop below -10V under the load of the starter.
If the battery is older than 4-5 years, fully charge the battery and have a service tech or auto salesclerk "load test" it to see if the battery breaks down.
You could try to "jump-start" the bike with another battery or car... but if not done properly... you're asking major problems and unnecessary expense.
You can test the battery yourself with an extra hand, a little know-how, and a multi-meter.
But, without the proper equipment, you're just guessing what the voltage is doing under 'load'.
no1gibsonfan@aol.com
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by no1gibsonfan@aol.com »

The battery is 3 or 4 years old. Its cranks fine but only fires for a second before it stops cranking. The fuel gauge is flashing as soon as I turn the key on.
I would be happy to change out the battery if you think that’s the cause of both problems.
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by airhead83 »

No idea about the fuel gauge. It could be the electrical connections on the fuel pump sending unit being contaminated with stale gasoline over a period of time, and not working properly. Several tanks of fresh gas with a fuel cleaner/additive added may well cure that.
Of course, the bike must start and run to go through those few tanks of fuel.
Not understanding the 'cranks fine' either.
I suspected the battery, mainly, because it appears you've had no problems starting the bike in the past. And a bad battery is the obvious 1st step.
If the battery is still able to turn the engine starter over, but it's not firing off and starting up, that doesn't sound like a battery.
Air, fuel, and heat/spark are needed for any combustion engine. You could check and clean the spark plug, check the air filter to be sure no mouse nests are impeding air intake, you could spray a starting fluid into the air filter area... just long enough to see if the bike tries to start up. If it fires off with starter fluid, it's fuel related.
Beyond the very basics, I'd be guessing. I may be way off base, and there may be electrical problems or something else.
Sorry I can't be more reassuring.