Hello Out There!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Hello Out There!

Post by ScooterKim »

Hi Everyone! My name is Kim and I live out in the country, outside of Carlisle, Pennsylvania. I have been checking out your site for a few weeks now and have gotten quite a few answers to my Honda questions... thanks! I took the plunge today and signed up under the user name of ScooterKim. I have a 2013 Honda 150 PCX and having a blast with it! I have learned a lot from your site, from riding in the wind (put that leg out!) to windscreens, from saddlebags to seat issues (hard to close). Thanks for all the tips and good topics. And, just to add my two cents, for what it is worth, my mileage has been consistently 103 -- 105 with a whopping 115 yesterday. I have 575 miles on my PCX with the first oil change right around the corner. A few questions: any special brand or type of 10w 30 suggestions? is there a screen to clean? is the oil change relatively easy? thanks in advance... ScooterKim
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Hello Out There!

Post by maddiedog »

Hi Kim, welcome to the forums!

The oil change is really easy, here's a good how-to: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25

Any 10w30 will work, but Honda recommends a synthetic. Oil selection is something that can be argued about for pages and pages on a forum -- with the PCX, the main important factor is the right weight (10w30 will be perfect for PA), and to go with a synthetic. Since the PCX has a dry clutch and transmission, you don't need motorcycle-specific oils with special friction modifiers or anything fancy like that. I usually just buy the cheap synthetic at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Cleaning the oil screen isn't necessary unless it has metal flakes when it comes out. If it does, flush it out and make sure it's completely clean and has no water or detergents on it before reinserting it. I generally just wipe mine down with a clean rag, it's sufficient enough to get anything out.

On your first maintenance, make sure to check your valves to make sure they're in-spec. It's a bit more involved, but I'm sure you can handle it: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Hi Dave. I figured you would be the first to reply. I like your style and what you have to say. will hook on to the sites you suggested and let the hubby know about checking the valves. he is the garage man and fixes our cars, honda rebel (his) and honda pcx (mine). ScooterKim
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

ScooterKim wrote:Hi Everyone! My name is Kim and I have learned a lot from your site, from riding in the wind (put that leg out!)

Ok, I'm confused. What was this statement in regards to?? :?
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
jlhog
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jlhog »

I would clean the screen to be safe. It cost nothing to pull and clean. This is what mine looked like on the first oil change. I cannot believe it is not recommended to clean at the first service.
2013 Honda PCX 150
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

"Riding in the Wind" I was coming home from the dealer after they installed my back rack. The wind was just ferocious... probably 25+ mph. I had an awful ride home and looked up on this site about what others did to off-set riding while windy. one person said, "put your leg out to counterbalance." I don't really think it helps. another said, just don't ride when it is over 15+ mph. A good idea but not always possible. Personally, I feel that 2 things help the most with the wind: a full face helmet and a large windscreen.

hope that explanation helps... ScooterKim
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

thanks, jlhog. will check out the screen too! ScooterKim

ps. that's what they called me when I took the Pa State Motorcycle safety course, on my first scooter, a Buddy 150. I like my PCX much better!
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

thanks, jlhog. will check out the screen too! ScooterKim

ps. that's what they called me when I took the Pa State Motorcycle safety course, on my first scooter, a Buddy 150. I like my PCX much better!
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Even the type of jacket I wear affects crosswind handling! If I wear my summer mesh jacket with 'nanotech' holes that let in air to keep you cool that creates more windage and I get blown more by X winds. My winter jackets that are smooth have less wind resistance and are better in X winds. I live in a windy city but wont ride when it gets much over 35mph and slow down if its over 20mph wind. Unless the wind is behind me then I speed up :) Sometimes cant help being in 40mph winds though as can be calm in the morning in summer but our afternoon sea breeze can be 40 which means going home into that. That seabreeze caused me a bicycle crash last year
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Interesting in that the type of clothing you have on also allows the wind to whip you around more! I used to ride my bike on the New Jersey shore and now that I think back about that, it COULD get mighty windy! thanks for that bit of info, Taz
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Kim, welcome aboard PCXer! To tell you the truth, I see gusty winds and I change my plans. Because I can. I do not commute to/from work. All for pleasure and at comfortable and joyful speed, say 45-50. Though I'd like having the extra power to go 65 for those now and then faster roads. So do tell, what color is yours? :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Hey White Noise! I am also flexible on what I ride as I do not work anymore. So, if it looks like rain (like today) I will take the Jeep to the Y to work out and lifeguard. After 33 years working full time, I am all about fun these days. And, the scooter is just that. It's not a mid life crisis thing as I always wanted one, went thru the motorcycle course last year (twice, once on my Buddy scooter and once on their motorcycle). I attached a pic of my 150 PCX. Red in color with a wire basket hooked onto the back rack, has a soft leather case on the front, sitting on top of the fuel tank (I attached the case straps to the turn signals on either side). I just bought a large GIVI windscreen and this pic has the smaller, smoked screen still on. The smoked screen looks better however the larger windscreen is more effective. I was getting a lot of upper body air over 40 mph and now can do 50 comfortably with the larger screen on. Know anyone that wants a mid-size GIVI windscreen? Good talking to you and have a great day! ScooterKim
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Hey Everyone! attached is a pic of my PCX. ScooterKim
Attachments
Windscreen (9).jpg
Windscreen (9).jpg (110.06 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

My in-laws keep a basket on the back of their Vespa like that, it's amazingly functional. I thought about mounting one on my PCX, but I usually just strap whatever I'm hauling to the rack.

Red's a good color on the PCX, lookin sharp!
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

Hi, ScooterKim
I see you have the Honda Rear Trunk Base 08L70-KZY-910. I have the same kind of luggage rack as you do. I really like it.
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Hey Former50cc! Hope all is well over the other side of the country. the trunk base was relatively inexpensive. the drilling work was about $80 and negotiated into the original price. I had the same kind of trunk base on my Buddy Scooter. then, with the basket on the base, it give me another place for storage. under the seat and on top of the fuel lid (I have a case there too) is the place to carry your heavy stuff. yesterday, I brought home a case of our favorite beverage, most of which was under the seat and in my case on top of the fuel lid. surprisingly, the scooter actually rode better with the extra weight.
Well, first oil change in a few days. I also learned how to post the fuelly icon so I have to do that tonight. I am really liking this site. ScooterKim
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

Welcome aboard, Kim! My compliments to your good taste in scooter selection and color. ;) The PCX 150 is reasonably light weight, but I think it handles crosswinds quite well for its size/weight. If you are uncomfortable with it, slow down... or, if your routing allows it, opt for a different route. You are getting close to what my wife gets for fuel mileage... well, if I am remembering correctly. We are out on our boat for the summer and had to leave the scoots behind.

It is a treat to read posts here to keep my scooter enthusiasm up until we get back to ours. Enjoy yours!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Hey Capn Jim and First Mate!
I envy you on your boat! What kind is it? Scootering is the next best thing. we brought my last scooter, Buddy 150, to Fla last year for 6 weeks so I did not miss it as you are. Bicycles help also and hopefully one fits on your boat. I am pretty surprised on my gas mileage. I was getting 103 -- 105 mpg and then the last one was 115. might decrease somewhat as I put a large GIVI windscreen on it. I am going to add a Fuelly icon after our chat here. So, any interesting places and sailing stories you want to share with your scooter buddies here? Have a great day on the ocean! ScooterKim
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

Welcome ScooterKim! Do you plan to take your new PCX on a nice long ride up to Knoebels Amusement Park?
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Hey Indyglow! Nice scoot! I think the red is my favorite color. You know, I have never been to Knoble's. I think it is about 2 hours east of us. My husband has a Honda Rebel so we are thinking on a short ride over the upcoming July 4th holiday. only problem with that is that Kati can not go along. and, as you can see, she is a cutie!
I am going to post another subject after our chat as I had an encounter with Mr Groundhog today on my PCX. keep a look out for it (my post and other relatives of Mr Groundhog that my be lurking in Indiana). ScooterKim