Front Fork Seal Replacement

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

CamboForza
Year: 2015
Color: White

Front Fork Seal Replacement

Post by CamboForza »

I was upgrading my front forks to the YSS upgrade kit Y-FCC31-KIT-01-009 as both my seals were leaking and while the forks were out, why not upgrade.

The problem I found was there were no You Tube videos on replacing the seals so I had to use the service manual. I was able to pull the forks and dismantle the them easy enough ready for the new seals.

The first problem I encountered was getting the guide seal in as it is very tight. That was solved by putting the back up ring on the fork, covering it with thick cloth and banging it in gently with a couple of screwdrivers either side of the ring.

Next issue was putting the new seal in. At first it pushed in easily as it was coated in fork oil, but as I tried to push it further, it wouldn't go in straight, with one side going in while the other side wouldn't. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the seal to go in straight. I ended up putting the old seal over the top and after nearly an hour of bashing away, eventually I got the seal in enough to put the retaining clip in place. This was not fun and there must be a better way.

I don't have the Fork Seal Driver Weight 07747-0010100 or the Fork Seal Driver Attachment 37.2 07747-001 0600, nor can I buy one in Australia.

I damaged the replacement seal and had to use the old one, which again wouldn't go in straight but I got it in after again, a lot of banging away. So the seal still requires replacement. I didn't even try the other side.

Any advice, tips or tricks on how to install the guide bush and seal?
Any type of tool you were able to make or re-purpose?

Thanks in advance.

Notes on the YSS front upgrade: I previously replaced the rear shock with the YSS kit TG302-400TRL-030 and it made it feel like a new bike. I could now sit on the bike when riding on rougher types of highway, it really soaks up the bumps. We have some highways here that are concrete and not very smooth. I have now replaced the fronk forks with the YSS upgrade kit Y-FCC31-KIT-01-009 and it has really made the front end more compliant. The large windshield I have doen't vibrate as much and getting into driveways which have an inch or two lip, doesn't jolt the bike. If you have just bought this model Forza and intend keeping it for a few years, do these upgrades now so you get your money's worth. They make it how Honda should have made it in the first place.
Honda Forza 300
YSS Front and Rear Upgrade
19 Gram Sliders
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Front Fork Seal Replacement

Post by davenowherejones »

I took mine to my dealer. My second hand almost brand new Forza 300 had no oil in the forks. Previous owner or maybe the factory never put any in? Handling improved tremendously.