My PCX never seems to need oiling

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Gerry b
Year: 2023
Color: White

My PCX never seems to need oiling

Post by Gerry b »

Hi,

So I bought my PCX in July this year, I do a lot of miles on it, it's had it's first service and I am now up to 1,615 miles, I check the oil pretty much every day and I'm still yet to top it up as it always seems to be at the right level on the dip stick. Is this normal or could I be doing something wrong, I follow the oil checking instructions to the letter.

How often does yours need topping up?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Re: My PCX never seems to need oiling

Post by Jge64 »

what gives you the idea that a bike needs to be “topped off? In the seven years that I’ve owned Honda and Yamaha, scooters, I’ve yet to top off any oil.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I believe most of them use a bit of oil over the year (from comments I've seen) but only a bit - checking every day/week is well over the top.

Check after a service and keep an eye on it days afterwards in case of a leak, but just see if oil is collecting on the ground where you park and if there is oil around the nut.

The final drive oil comes out looking almost like new years on, and any good fully synth oil will do after 500 miles - no need for Honda or special oil at all.
Gerry b
Year: 2023

Post by Gerry b »

iceman wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:32 pm I believe most of them use a bit of oil over the year (from comments I've seen) but only a bit - checking every day/week is well over the top.

Check after a service and keep an eye on it days afterwards in case of a leak, but just see if oil is collecting on the ground where you park and if there is oil around the nut.

The final drive oil comes out looking almost like new years on, and any good fully synth oil will do after 500 miles - no need for Honda or special oil at all.
So what you're saying is scooters don't need oiling on a regular basis, just every once in a while or when they have lost some oil due to some kind of fault?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Mine uses a bit of oil over many months (so check the dipstick every now and then, but not all the time unless you spot a leak).
It's usual for some oil to get used - part of every normal engine and your lucky if no oil gets used up.
I change my oil every year as I only do 3000miles/yr and max out at 40mph, mostly lower speeds with all the 20-30mph roads in London now.
I change the final drive every 1-2 years as it get an easy life - probably no need then as it comes our looking so good.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Just checked mine. Didn't need any oil at all and oil was changed about 3 months ago. Still using original washer on a '14 reg bike.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Its a 2023 bike, not some old 50's engine. It never needs to be topped off unless you have a leak somewhere which is extremely rare.

I check my oil once every 2k miles (when I change the oil). Never pull the dipstick any other time.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator