Fuel pump recall woes

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

hop

Fuel pump recall woes

Post by hop »

After riding my Forza 40 miles to a Honda dealer to have the recall done, they forgot to order the part. They did agree to pick it up at my house when the parts came in a couple weeks later.

I was a little concerned after all the lousy service work I’ve experienced lately, just in general with bike shops, and auto shops, but didn’t have much choice.

Got the scooter back Wednesday and it ran fine. I put about 10 miles on it around town. This evening decided to make a grocery run. Found a huge puddle of gas under the scoot in the carport. Argh!,,,,,!!!!.

Coincidentally, I just learned on Friday of a head gasket recall on my Yamaha Smax. Yamaha advised me to take it to the same dealer 😯.,I don’t think so!

Anyone have a recommendation for a Yamaha approved shop in the Houston area? Screwing up a head gasket replacement would be a real disaster.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Fuel pump recall woes

Post by davenowherejones »

Years ago I took my 2014 Forza in for a brake recall. or was it a fuel pump recall, longtime ago, Pre major brain damage time. It took many hours for the work to be done. The actual recall work was done quickly but the repair to the plastic panels took several hours for the glue to dry. One panel was fixed badly and the screws would not hold it in place. Break out the silicone and a nylon zap strap.

My temporary fix was done over 100,000 km ago. If I have to take that panel off I use more silicone glue to put it back on.

not the best design for the body panels .

I had Honda check my valves once and I never let them touch the bike again. It has 187 thousand km on it now. The motor work so I am not letting any poorly paid Honda mechanics touch it.
hop

Post by hop »

This is what it looked like the next day after getting it home from dealer.
Sent it back and just as I suspected, their parts department forgot to order the gasket (O ring), so the mechanic tried to re-use 8 year old gasket.
ACF6B76A-81DB-47B5-99C2-21BA3245E7CC.jpeg
ACF6B76A-81DB-47B5-99C2-21BA3245E7CC.jpeg (279.83 KiB) Viewed 8778 times
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

Good luck I had this job done about a year after I bought mine new and ended up with the same result you did. I found a puddle under the scooter a couple of hours after I got home. They came and picked it up because I told them I would not ride a bike that was leaking directly under my rear tire. I picked it up a few days later got home and kept an eye on it for leaks. The next morning no leak so I rode to work. A couple of blocks from work when I hit the gas to leave a light the bike almost went out from under me because unbeknownst to me there was a big puddle forming under the bike in front of the rear wheel, exactly the concern I express on the first failure. Gasoline is very slippery! Again I made them come to my job to tow the bike, this time 20 miles away. Third time seems to have worked. But get this several years later I get a notice that it's do for a recall in spite of the fact that I had it done TWICE. I haven't brought it in yet, I'm more afraid of having another "repair" done than I am of the recall.
Honda 2014 Forza 300 (ABS)
Honda 1995 Elite 80 (Sold)
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

and that is why I never bothered to have my valves checked on an engine that was running perfectly. If it is not broken don't FIX it
hop

Post by hop »

It turns out the parts guy didn’t order a new O ring. Mechanic tried to re-use the 6 year old one that was on the pump.