Is the Michelin City Grip 2 a good choice of tyres for a PCX 150?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

wheely
Year: 2016
Color: White

Is the Michelin City Grip 2 a good choice of tyres for a PCX 150?

Post by wheely »

Hello guys,

I know there are some threads where Michelin City Grip 2 tyres are mentioned, but I thought I'd start a new one dedicated to the model since this is one of the premium tyre models out there. I'm considering switching from my crappy IRC:s (that are way too old anyways). Does anyone have experience with the city grip 2 model on a PCX 150?

The thing making me hesitate is that the manual says the dimensions of the rear wheel should be 100/90-14 P56 and the front one is 90/90-14 P46. The front wheel loading capacity on the city grips 2 is however 52. It doesn't match.

The motorcycle topic youtube-channel fortnine says it's fine to go up 1 or 2 on the loading capacity index, but with the city grips this would mean 6 ups. The channel also mentions that upping the loading capacity might cause the bike to feel stiffer. Since a stock PCX already is not very comfortable to ride on bumpy roads I would like to hear your experience with it.

Bonus question: Does the loading capacity affect the inflation? Or should I still inflate the front tyre to 2 bars like it says in the manual? This is completely new to me since it's my first tyre change on a two wheeler.

Thanks!

EDIT: I noticed I posted in the wrong forum section. Sorry!
Mon-Eye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021
Color: Red

Re: Is the Michelin City Grip 2 a good choice of tyres for a PCX 150?

Post by Mon-Eye »

I have them on my 2021 model as its the only tyre I could find in the uk to fit the random tyre size. I don't rate them at all. I got 6200 miles out my rear and fronts done 10k and still going. I'd like to swap out to Bridgestone sc or pirrelis if they ever make a tyre to fit
CBR1100XX blackbird (modified), CBR929RR Turbo, CBR600F Sport (modified), several beta trials bikes and endurance bikes
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

MCG's have had numerous praise on this forum but I to do not rate them that highly. I had a great experience with the original IRC's - no issues all year round and they lasted well - 13,500 on the rear when I decided to replace even though it still had legal tread, more on the front.

My 1st MCG rear lasted 4000 miles and was completely worn in the middle, but fine elsewhere. Crap (I did have a MCG2 but got a large centre tread puncture 2 weeks in).

Wanted to try a MCG2 again but none around so now have a Battle Axe - found it a bit slippy at first but now it's ok and does not seem to be wearing from a visual - not like the crap MCG. 4000 miles for city riding at modest speeds - crap.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

My Michelin City Grip 2 lasted 13,808 km or about 8600 miles on my fat pig 2014 Honda Forza almost 300. It wore evenly. I suspect you had way too much air in the rear tire. 33psi should be max air. Check your manual for the PCX

Scooter tires are hard to get in Canada. Fort Nine will mail me tires. They were almost completely out of stock on Rear tires. I got a Kenda super stiff tire lately. It was a bitch to install.

I have gotten 14,000 km out of a city Grip but I run my tires until bald, don't do that!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I check regularly and have 29 / 33 so not the reason.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

iceman wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:58 pm I check regularly and have 29 / 33 so not the reason.
Very strange. What do you weigh? The Michelin tire is good.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

80Kg's. Bikes a '14 reg (9+ years old) and mostly 20-30 riding with 40 when roads allow. Loved the IRC's, went for MCG on this sites recommendation but it seems like it's softer formulation than many (which is why they like it's grip and complained about the IRC's which are hard) < I road in the wet and winter and had no issues with them.

6 months on the rear Battleaxe and it hardly shows any wear.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

you are about my weight, What are the roads paved with in London. I t still is strange that it wore out that fast. I would love another Michelin if I could get one in Western Canada.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Most are very bad,but have always been that way. Maybe dodgy batches of them - not sure why Honda moved away from fitting MCG's - perhaps not all based of cost?