Rear swingarm assembly corrosion

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

ahulleman
Year: 2017
Color: black

Rear swingarm assembly corrosion

Post by ahulleman »

Hello all, So ive just put some new drumpads in my bike after struggling for over a hour to get the swingarm assembly out!
It seems steel and aluminium do not make great friends! The garage i used to use never put any copper grease or anti seize of any kind on any of the bolts! So the exhaust bolts were seized up like hell!
As a result of that the treads in my swingarm assy are near enough ruined.
Ive looked up the parts on the honda OEM site, but that over £250 which is not something i can afford! Especially after i just dished out nearly £200 on tools to get the bleeding thing off to begin with as a breakerbar would have simply snapped the lot in half!

So my question is as followed:
Are there any reliable aftermarket swingarms assemblies out there?

Also, are there compounds that i can apply to the bolts to create a "barrier" between the steel and aluminium to stop it from corroding even more?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Rear swingarm assembly corrosion

Post by Jge64 »

There Are several anticorrosion products available on Amazon. One of my favorites is Boshield T9, invented by Boeing for their aircraft that are in storage.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Monty
Year: 2012
Color: White

Re: Rear swingarm assembly corrosion

Post by Monty »

Did you try cleaning up the threads with a brass wire brush and soaking in penetration fluid before tackling the bolts? Cleaning the threads can make a big difference.