Valve clearance on a 2021.

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

Brandemihl
Year: 2021
Color: Pearl White

Valve clearance on a 2021.

Post by Brandemihl »

My current venture is to check the valve clearance. I saw a guy on youtube just pull the seat and storage box out and do it without removing the side panels. Dunno if I can do it on a 2021 or not.

Anyone else?

Thanks!
Mprime
Color: White

Re: Valve clearance on a 2021.

Post by Mprime »

I just did mine and it was a real pain. The service manual doesn't mention to remove the storage box, but it makes things considerably easier. Also, there's a very limited amount of space with which to manipulate your feeler gauges. The valves are deep into the head. I wanted to get a set of gauges like the ones from Motion Pro, but I can't find one in a .009. I bent a spare set of typical gauges, but it's difficult to feel the drag when they go in that far.
Mon-Eye
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by Mon-Eye »

Mprime wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:05 pm I just did mine and it was a real pain. The service manual doesn't mention to remove the storage box, but it makes things considerably easier. Also, there's a very limited amount of space with which to manipulate your feeler gauges. The valves are deep into the head. I wanted to get a set of gauges like the ones from Motion Pro, but I can't find one in a .009. I bent a spare set of typical gauges, but it's difficult to feel the drag when they go in that far.
Where any off the valves out or where they all still in spec fella
CBR1100XX blackbird (modified), CBR929RR Turbo, CBR600F Sport (modified), several beta trials bikes and endurance bikes
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I realize that when you don’t check the valves, it’s a nagging pain, especially if you like to take care of your scooter, but after four scooters, two Yamaha‘s and two Hondas, I’ll never check the valves again. That is until I see a symptom that I’ve got misadjusted valves. Meaning hard starting or it wont make full power, i.e it won’t go over 60 mph on a PCX, or 80 on the xmax. I’ve checked valves twice on four bikes, and the Settings were absolutely perfect. Never again.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mprime

Post by Mprime »

Mon-Eye wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:44 pm
Mprime wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:05 pm I just did mine and it was a real pain. The service manual doesn't mention to remove the storage box, but it makes things considerably easier. Also, there's a very limited amount of space with which to manipulate your feeler gauges. The valves are deep into the head. I wanted to get a set of gauges like the ones from Motion Pro, but I can't find one in a .009. I bent a spare set of typical gauges, but it's difficult to feel the drag when they go in that far.
Where any off the valves out or where they all still in spec fella
Both of the intake valves were a little on the tight side. What really bothered me is that the lock nuts had been overtightened by either the dealership or the factory itself. At least they're correct, now. I think I'm going to cut up one of my feeler gauges and fab up a set of Motion Pro clones to make the job considerably easier the next time.

Mike
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Mprime wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:17 am
Both of the intake valves were a little on the tight side. What really bothered me is that the lock nuts had been overtightened by either the dealership or the factory itself. At least they're correct, now. I think I'm going to cut up one of my feeler gauges and fab up a set of Motion Pro clones to make the job considerably easier the next time.

Mike
Was it on the tight side but still within spec? Was the engine warm at all or stone cold?

My 2017 is getting close to 7k miles and never checked my valves lol. Need to do it soon.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Mprime

Post by Mprime »

Definitely cold. I always let them sit overnight before doing that job. Intake was probably at .003 which is within tolerance.
lukepcx
Color: white

Post by lukepcx »

Hey mprime,

Did you happen to know what the valve specs are for the new 4 valve engine? I can't find them anywhere, but i assume they are different to the previous model that only had 2 valves?

Thanks,

Luke
Mprime

Post by Mprime »

I'll take a look at the manual when I get home unless someone else beats me to it.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Believe it or not......87k and this PCX hasn't ever seen a feeler gauge since I've had it. [bought it with 2090 miles]