Stripped head on oil strainer bolt

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

HOL9654
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Stripped head on oil strainer bolt

Post by HOL9654 »

(I think due to me over tightening it the previous time) I am unable to remove the oil strainer access bolt with a 17 mm socket as I simply stripped the head. I’ve since tried vice grips and also a bolt extractor that fits on the head — but no luck. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to resolve it? Any ideas people have would be much appreciated. I’m reluctant to try anything where I drill into the bold head and use a reverse thread device) as I am concerned about leaving metal debris/shavings in the engine). Thank you! Eric
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Stripped head on oil strainer bolt

Post by Jge64 »

Try heating it up with a torch for 5-10 secs and then grabbing it hard with a pair of vise grips….remember you are loosening counterclockwise.

If you need to drill it out, all of the debris should land in the basket, and then I would change the oil again. I think you’ll be fine.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
HOL9654
Year: 2011

Post by HOL9654 »

Thanks Glen!
Mon-Eye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021

Post by Mon-Eye »

Yeh as Glen said really. Try keeping the heat on the bolt and the quench it with water or air line see if it will break the seal between the 2 metals. If not try heating the aluminium around it but very carefully and gently. Failing that your into the left handed drills and extractors. Old trick I've used a few times is impact driver on a smaller socket hammered onto the bolt but be aware off the housing again as its only alloy
CBR1100XX blackbird (modified), CBR929RR Turbo, CBR600F Sport (modified), several beta trials bikes and endurance bikes