Fuel cap wont pop open

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

lukepcx
Year: 2021
Color: white

Fuel cap wont pop open

Post by lukepcx »

Just got back from the petrol station but had a little bit of a nightmare filling it up. I pressed the fuel button to pop the lid open but nothing happened. Cut a long story short I spent about 5 minutes fiddling with it until it finally popped and I was able to fill up.

Does anyone else have this issue? What can cause it and is there anything i can do to stop it happening again?

It seems to work completely fine now after I freed it, but now I'm worried that I'll be in the middle of nowhere the next time it sticks shut!
ChibaPhil
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: Fuel cap wont pop open

Post by ChibaPhil »

Not really an answer, but I had this happen on my bike and also saw a Japanese YouTuber describing the same issue on his PCX, so it seems to be a common problem. I asked my shop to look at it and they seemed familiar with the issue and fixed it quickly. I suspect it's something as simple as tightening the bolt on the hinge or similar, but I neglected to ask.
tatik
Year: 2022
Color: White

Post by tatik »

Put any card "ATM size" on it. Try it and thank me later :)))
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

That does sound like an absolute nightmare. And sorted with an excruciating 5 mins of fiddling. Awful.

What options are open to you so that this absolute disaster doesn't happen again?
motopaddy
Color: grey

Post by motopaddy »

Hi Common problem with 2022 , I insert a credit card under the flap and press the button , it pops open .
Mprime

Post by Mprime »

I had the exact same issue on mine about a week ago. I was able to get it to pop open, but I haven't looked further into it.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

havent had it happen to me yet on my pcx but it has happened on my x max never thought about sticking my credit card in there thanks for letting me know about that trick
Mprime

Post by Mprime »

Anyone know what the dealer fix is? I've had it happen a number of times now and it's pretty annoying.
tjupille
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by tjupille »

I don't know how similar the new ones are to my 2013, but when that was sticking, a dab of silicone grease on the catch helped. The biggest impact was by poking the release switch HARD, not just pressing it lightly.
sutbags
Color: white

Post by sutbags »

Mprime wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:42 am Anyone know what the dealer fix is? I've had it happen a number of times now and it's pretty annoying.
I took my PCX in for the first service a few weeks ago and mentioned the problem. The mechanic said that they file a bit of the plastic down on the catch and it fixes it, very common problem apparently.