Master fuse to cut all power to scooter?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Master fuse to cut all power to scooter?

Post by op3l »

Hi so I'm getting pretty tired of coming back to a dead scooter everytime I have to leave for over a month. I'm sure it's getting drained out by the smart key system which is just constantly waiting for a signal. I always turn off the keyfob when I park it for the night so that's not the way to turn off the smartkey system(only to turn off keyfob) and just getting tired of having to change a new battery every time I come back from going home(work over seas)

So is there a master fuse, or the fuse to the smart key system I can pull out to prevent it from draining the battery?

I do realize over the course of a month the battery will loose charge, but my other carbureated scooter, the battery is always still fine even after a month of just sitting there.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Master fuse to cut all power to scooter?

Post by Jge64 »

A month shouldn’t kill the scooter., something’s wrong. I’ve gone as much as 2 1/2 months with a smart key system and it starts right back up. However a
    simple solution for right now is just pull the negative lead on the battery when you’re gonna leave.

Seriously, think about it ……..Honda would not make a scooter that would go dead in a month with any type of smart key system.
    Glen
    ‘15 PCX build thread here:
    https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
    Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
    op3l
    Regular User
    Regular User

Post by op3l »

Jge64 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:19 amSeriously, think about it ……..Honda would not make a scooter that would go dead in a month with any type of smart key system.
    What you say makes sense... but I've already gone through 3 batteries that have all died basically just sitting there being drained. It might not be the smartkey system but the bike is completely stock and that's the only thing I can think of that is drawing power when it's off. I've made sure the alarm system is turned off by rocking the scooter and it's off. I leave then come back and absolutely nothing until I change a new battery.

But for the time being, I will pull the negative terminal if I will leave for more than 2 weeks. Never occurred to me to do this. Thank you for your tip!

Edit: Is there a way to test for power draw while the bike is off with a multimeter? Like testing voltage of battery or another mode to use with a multimeter that could tell me if there is indeed something that's drawing power while the bike is switched off?
    Jge64
    Frequent Poster
    Frequent Poster
    Year: 18 300 xmax
    Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

So when you come back to the bike and find the battery is drained you throw it out and buy a new battery? Why not just recharge it?
    Glen
    ‘15 PCX build thread here:
    https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
    Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
    Ganglylamb
    Forum Benefactor
    Forum Benefactor
    Year: 2016 - 125cc
    Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

op3l wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:28 pm Edit: Is there a way to test for power draw while the bike is off with a multimeter? Like testing voltage of battery or another mode to use with a multimeter that could tell me if there is indeed something that's drawing power while the bike is switched off?
    Disconnect one wire from the battery, put your multimeter in the mode to measure current (set it on the highest current mode or you could blow the fuse within the multimeter - unlikely but still better safe then sorry) and connect one wire of the multimeter to the battery the other to the wire that normally goes to the battery which you just disconnected.
    It should read 0, if not something is drawing power.
    springer1
    Forum Benefactor
    Forum Benefactor
    Year: 2018
    Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Ganglylamb wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:48 am
    op3l wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:28 pm Edit: Is there a way to test for power draw while the bike is off with a multimeter? Like testing voltage of battery or another mode to use with a multimeter that could tell me if there is indeed something that's drawing power while the bike is switched off?
    Disconnect one wire from the battery, put your multimeter in the mode to measure current (set it on the highest current mode or you could blow the fuse within the multimeter - unlikely but still better safe then sorry) and connect one wire of the multimeter to the battery the other to the wire that normally goes to the battery which you just disconnected.
    +1.
    op3l
    Regular User
    Regular User

Post by op3l »

Ganglylamb wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:48 amDisconnect one wire from the battery, put your multimeter in the mode to measure current (set it on the highest current mode or you could blow the fuse within the multimeter - unlikely but still better safe then sorry) and connect one wire of the multimeter to the battery the other to the wire that normally goes to the battery which you just disconnected.
    Will give this a try. Thank you.