Final drive gear tooth count?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

mop3d
Year: 2022
Color: White

Final drive gear tooth count?

Post by mop3d »

Hello, I'm interested in learning how to understand the final drive gear affects top end.

Most videos on the 157cc PCX aren't in english and I am confused if lower tooth count equals more top-end at the sacrifice of acceleration which would be made up for by lower roller weights(20x15 right?) Or is it opposite, and more teeth on the tiny final drive gear means more top end?

I went to honda parts online catalog and it appears as if the 2022 157cc PCX(USA) came equipped with 13T gear, so is there no lower gear available?
Is there any other top-end compromises to be made until there is a CDI (preferrably for dummies like myself, plug and play) to remap the scoot and squeeze some more MPH?

I have to take it on the interstate daily for my work commute so any help to get me above 69MPH would be splendid. Thanks in advance.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Final drive gear tooth count?

Post by waspmike »

https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?t=4373

A big job. Might be easier to see if you are using all the CVT pulley first and address that. There are after-market drive faces that are slightly larger. 120mm vs stock 117mm. Which will give you a bit more.
Do you have a tach.? So you know if the engine is revving up to max power?

Lots of guys on here have done lots of stuff so...
mop3d

Post by mop3d »

waspmike wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:50 pm https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?t=4373

A big job. Might be easier to see if you are using all the CVT pulley first and address that. There are after-market drive faces that are slightly larger. 120mm vs stock 117mm. Which will give you a bit more.

Hello, Thanks for responding quickly.

I just got my Tach in the mail and I plan to hook it up and go down the CVT tuning path as I had already done with my 2022 Ruckus. I'm very familiar with CVT tuning and trust I will squeeze every bit out of the engine before cracking open the internal gears. I was leery of getting a 120mm as I only seen one seller and the price was way up there. I don't mind paying but $449 seemed pretty steep for a Variator sans drive face and rollers.

Top speed is a priority over acceleration due to my commute. I know I can lower the weights until the Rev limiter bounces. When a CDI becomes available I will restrict the RPM's using the weights/sliders to prevent the crankcase from exploding.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

As you mentioned 157cc I assume this is a PCX160 with 15.8hp. Theoretically from my aerodynamics formula and results on 125/150 you should be good for about 79 mph. (revs allowing). This is with J.Costa (ie. tuned variator|) and a freer flowing exhaust. NB. J Costa has a 13 deg pulley angle. vs. stock at 15.
But that is flat out. How far are you travelling on the freeway?

Malossi has a 129mm pulley half 6119155 which probably has a 14 deg. angle for 39 euros. It is listed as for PCX. Maybe at https://scooterpartsco.com
mop3d

Post by mop3d »

waspmike wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:58 pm As you mentioned 157cc I assume this is a PCX160 with 15.8hp. Theoretically from my aerodynamics formula and results on 125/150 you should be good for about 79 mph. (revs allowing). This is with J.Costa (ie. tuned variator|) and a freer flowing exhaust. NB. J Costa has a 13 deg pulley angle. vs. stock at 15.
But that is flat out. How far are you travelling on the freeway?

Malossi has a 129mm pulley half 6119155 which probably has a 14 deg. angle for 39 euros. It is listed as for PCX. Maybe at https://scooterpartsco.com
Hello, thanks for replying.

I travel a typical 65 miles each direction to a near city. My 157cc KF47, 2022' Honda PCX only gets to about 64MPH wide open throttle.
If I could get at least 75-MPH I would be happiest and safer passing. I have never heard of J Costa and unsure about the cross compatibility of 150cc parts with the 160 engine.
Ozzibiker
Year: 2016
Color: Pearl Blue

Post by Ozzibiker »

mop3d wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:37 pm
waspmike wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:50 pm https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?t=4373

I just got my Tach in the mail and I plan to hook it up and go down the CVT tuning path as I had already done with my 2022 Ruckus. I'm very familiar with CVT tuning and trust I will squeeze every bit out of the engine before cracking open the internal gears. I was leery of getting a 120mm as I only seen one seller and the price was way up there. I don't mind paying but $449 seemed pretty steep for a Variator sans drive face and rollers.

Top speed is a priority over acceleration due to my commute. I know I can lower the weights until the Rev limiter bounces. When a CDI becomes available I will restrict the RPM's using the weights/sliders to prevent the crankcase from exploding.
What tacho did you get?
Honda PCX 150 - 2016
Honda VFR400 - 1989
mop3d

Post by mop3d »

Ozzibiker wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:41 am
mop3d wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:37 pm

What tacho did you get?
Just a cheap $22 amazon special.
Monty
Year: 2012

Post by Monty »

Could you point me in the direction of a CVT tuning tutorial?
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

65 miles on a PCX on a highway one way is pretty insane IMO and I do a lot of Highway riding. You definitely bought the wrong bike. You need a 200+cc bike, recommended 300cc+

But let's stick to the title at hand.

My 2017 PCX 159cc with NCY Variator and Driveface, open intake and exhaust, bigger diameter tires and a good amount of CVT tuning hits the limiter at 77mph. Run 10.25 weights so my acceleration is really quick, but still retain the highway capacity. (Former Honda ruckus/Metro SuperTuner)

You will never be "cruising" at 75mph on a PCX. Even with a big bore kit and gears. Not saying the engine/Transmission cant handle it but bc the wheelbase is simply too short and the bike is too light to handle those speeds comfortably. I was smashing home yesterday at 75mph and you are white knuckling it the entire way.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator