pcx engine rattle when rolling off thtrottle

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

hirider
Year: 2018
Color: blue

pcx engine rattle when rolling off thtrottle

Post by hirider »

This is my first pcx, bought last year with 800 miles. I have had a lot of larger bikes and done extensive maintenance and repairs in the past
There is an annoting rattle coming from the drive train that sounds like marbles when I ease up on the throttle at 20-30 mph. It sounds metallic and a little heavier than tappet noise. Surely its not designed that way??

Records show the scooter was serviced at 300 miles by the dealer and driven very lightly by an older gentleman only around an army base. It has had the noise since i bought it at 800 mi. Presently 2400 m1.

The noise CANT cant be reproduced on the center stand, NOT at idle, NOT while coasting and NOT at WOT or hard accelerating. Once at speed when I roll of /ease up on the throttle it starts and continues steady while cruising easy until i apply more power or coast.

Its a regular rattle, like marbles in a can, No grinding. Its very pronounced in my full face helmet.
Seems to go with motor speed.

Its a little heavy for tappet noise. I heard belt slap noise on youtube but it is more regular and more metallic. Piston slap? maybe if the owner overheated it..... Exhaust guts rattling? - doesnt sound like it to me.
Im not familiar with variators but after watching a youtube teardown, maybe the rollers or defective roller rubber cushons ? The video host shakes the open variator cover with the loose rollers in place - sounds like THAT.

Anything to look for when I open up the varitor side case? Other possibilities?
I gather theres no way to attach an audio clip here.
extweeme
Year: 2017
Color: Black

Re: pcx engine rattle when rolling off thtrottle

Post by extweeme »

Watch the video from min 6 maybe this is the problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr0_P2mqcPw&t=840s
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Think you're on the right track.............open up and have a look at the variator /slides/rollers.
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

Another option is the cam chain tensioner? That would sound metallic but as it had the noise when you bought it at 800 miles - that would be something for a cam chain tensioner to be faulty that early o_O . Also, at idle you should be hearing the noise if that would be the case...

Anyhow, it's not a quick check but you could take it out and see if it does spring back as it should - for more info look at this thread here: viewtopic.php?t=8299