Front Wheel Removal (and reinstall)

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Munions
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Front Wheel Removal (and reinstall)

Post by Munions »

I'm changing my PCX 150's tires for the first time since my local shops and dealers all want $100+ just for swapping out the rubbers :roll: I can't imagine how much they'd charge to do the full job.

Does anyone have a link to a good video I may have missed or a post with step-by-step pictures on how to remove and install the front wheel? I've found plenty of videos on the rear wheel. I know I have to keep the scooter lifted and not use the front brake once the wheel is off, but not much else. Do I have to unscrew the brake pads or can they stay attached to the fork?
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Front Wheel Removal (and reinstall)

Post by mymitzi »

It's simpler than the rear wheel. As you said .......protect the brake [a spacer/wedge between the pads, once the wheel is removed helps] No need to
remove the caliper but..... it helps to open the space between the pads a bit.......before reinstalling the wheel......Maybe someone else has a video link??
Munions

Post by Munions »

Is it as simple as unscrewing the two bolts on each side of the fork and pulling the axle out enough for the wheel to come out? That's what I assume but want to make sure.
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

Munions wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:17 pm Is it as simple as unscrewing the two bolts on each side of the fork and pulling the axle out enough for the wheel to come out? That's what I assume but want to make sure.
Yes it is that simple, what I did when I removed the front wheel to install a new brake disc was to put my toolbox under the scooter so the wheel was off the ground. That makes things easier and keeps it upright when the wheel is removed ;).
Munions

Post by Munions »

Ganglylamb wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:01 am
Munions wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:17 pm Is it as simple as unscrewing the two bolts on each side of the fork and pulling the axle out enough for the wheel to come out? That's what I assume but want to make sure.
Yes it is that simple, what I did when I removed the front wheel to install a new brake disc was to put my toolbox under the scooter so the wheel was off the ground. That makes things easier and keeps it upright when the wheel is removed ;).
Wow, that does sound simple! Do you happen to know the torque spec. for the 19mm bolts?
Munions

Post by Munions »

I realize now that one is a 14mm and the other is 19mm...my bad. I'll need the values for those two bolts and possibly the brake calipers. I managed to find a removal video on Dailymotion but they don't show themselves reinstalling it unfortunately. Do I apply white lithium grease to that axle too since you do it for the rear?
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ganglylamb »

front wheel.png
front wheel.png (160.78 KiB) Viewed 1824 times
Munions

Post by Munions »

Ganglylamb wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:23 pm front wheel.png
Thank you :)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Anytime that I’m disassembling something that is important to go back the same way, I take pictures before, during and after the disassembling… Helps a lot
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Munions

Post by Munions »

Jge64 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:40 am Anytime that I’m disassembling something that is important to go back the same way, I take pictures before, during and after the disassembling… Helps a lot
So far I called it a night last night because I'm having a ton of trouble getting the new tire onto the rim. I guess I'm doing something wrong because the videos I've seen look "easy". :lol:
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ganglylamb »

Munions wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:10 am
Jge64 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:40 am Anytime that I’m disassembling something that is important to go back the same way, I take pictures before, during and after the disassembling… Helps a lot
So far I called it a night last night because I'm having a ton of trouble getting the new tire onto the rim. I guess I'm doing something wrong because the videos I've seen look "easy". :lol:
Small tires = pita to get replaced.

If all else fails just take it to a shop and have them put the tire on, last time I went with my rear wheel to the shop they replaced it for 15€ labor cost (was around 15 minutes of work) and 55€ for the tire.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

The key to tire removal/install is lube. Wherever the trouble is........likely not lubed in that area. Also helps if the tire is warmed.
Sometimes the lube dries before you expect, so keep it near by. Agree..........the videos make it look so easy.......Maybe they cut out
the blooper section! : ) I started doing mine a few years ago..........Don't give up..........perseverance will get er done. It gets easier
like anything else.......the more you do it. Good luck.
Munions

Post by Munions »

mymitzi wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:05 am The key to tire removal/install is lube. Wherever the trouble is........likely not lubed in that area. Also helps if the tire is warmed.
Sometimes the lube dries before you expect, so keep it near by. Agree..........the videos make it look so easy.......Maybe they cut out
the blooper section! : ) I started doing mine a few years ago..........Don't give up..........perseverance will get er done. It gets easier
like anything else.......the more you do it. Good luck.
Thank you for the words of encouragement :) I just got the rubber on but unfortunately scratched the paint on the rim in some spaces...the rim shields were making it more difficult for me to get the beads on. I'm at the installation process now. Do I put white lithium grease on the front axle shaft? And loctite on the 19mm bolt?
Munions

Post by Munions »

Ganglylamb wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:38 am
Munions wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:10 am
Small tires = pita to get replaced.

If all else fails just take it to a shop and have them put the tire on, last time I went with my rear wheel to the shop they replaced it for 15€ labor cost (was around 15 minutes of work) and 55€ for the tire.
That's the truth. I'm seriously considering letting a shop do the rear wheel when the tire comes in next week. I scratched the paint on the rim and while it's only cosmetic, it just bothers me a bit. Maybe I can sharpie it?
Munions

Post by Munions »

Oops, I forgot that diagram above specifically says to grease it. My bad. I've been an airhead these past few days.
Munions

Post by Munions »

Thank you for the help everyone! I mounted the wheel with the new tire and test drove it for a few minutes. Everything seems fine and I can already tell this tire (Michelin City Grip 2) is far better than the stock tire. Putting the rear one on next week, wish me luck. ;)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

My dealer will change/mount my tire for 40 bucks if I bring them the wheel. I will never do it again on my own, too much mess and I might hurt myself at my age. They not only change the tire for 40 bucks, they balance it and then completely clean it with wheel cleaner to give me back a completely pristine wheel for mounting.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Munions

Post by Munions »

Jge64 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:33 pm My dealer will change/mount my tire for 40 bucks if I bring them the wheel. I will never do it again on my own, too much mess and I might hurt myself at my age. They not only change the tire for 40 bucks, they balance it and then completely clean it with wheel cleaner to give me back a completely pristine wheel for mounting.
I ended up buying the tools to try and learn how to do it myself to save a few bucks. The shops around me wanted $45+ per tire to remove the old rubber and put the new one on...and that didn't include a new stem or anything. It was difficult because I never changed a tire before but rewarding to see the result.
Munions

Post by Munions »

One last thing...do I need to lube the spacers up with the white lithium grease? I see it says to apply a thin coat to the axle, but I only cleaned the spacers and put them back on. Do I need to take the tire back off so I can grease the spacers or should I be fine?
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Spacers are Fine...........A bit of touch up paint or maybe even the sharpie?? {You'll be the only one who notices probably] : ) Congratulations!