MSF Safety Course

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

MSF Safety Course

Post by PKrellner »

Just completed the 3 day MSF course for my motorcycle certification. Now I can go to the motor vehicle office and get my motorcycle endorsement on my license and not have the learners permit any more. I was the only scooter in the course which started with 8 people and went down to 4 on the last day. Really don't know why all the others quit especially when the cost for the course was $135. The worst part of the course was being out in the sun all day while wearing all the gear, drinking water all day and sweating it all out. Also, found that the PCX seat wasn't all that comfortable after a full day of riding. Now I can "scoot" all over town knowing I'm fully licensed. the course also saved 10% on my insurance, woo hoo!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: MSF Safety Course

Post by WhiteNoise »

Congrats :P Some folk can't tolerate the heat and some refuse to hydrate, makes matters worse. Any take a fall? I took my 3 day course in FL summer heat, 100 degrees with required gear. Very hot, no trees to hide under during short breaks, just water and more water and that Big ball of heat above.
So, good on you PK for sticking it out! Paid off now....didn't it? ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

Started with 8 in the class and ended up with 4. All 4 dropped out for no reason. No falls and everyone passed. Was a lot of fun and did things that I wouldn't expect to have to do. More confident now than when I started.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Guess it wasn't that important to the 4 that left. Must've been the heat. Beach bound perhaps? Sigh, not meant for two wheels....lucky us, feeling safer as I type :P
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Sometimes it can be a good thing to learn from the mistakes of others.
You definitely do not want to ride like this guy
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

If you intend to crash your scooter, buckle up your helmet first.

I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

gn2 wrote:Sometimes it can be a good thing to learn from the mistakes of others.
You definitely do not want to ride like this guy
Good timing on that gn2, I posted that same video on our forum's YouTube thread. This vid broke out yesterday on web and tele, my jaw dropped when I watched.....especially the Plop ending o_O
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

WhiteNoise wrote:Good timing on that gn2...
-----------
Yeah, a good find from gn2.

Here's another edited version with a soundtrack reminiscent of silent era films.

And the next Darwin Award goes to:
http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/21/possi ... 74eHlmmhow

I must admit I doubt it's authenticity, but who knows. Anything is possible -- in China.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ Perfectly chosen music for this clownie video. I sure hope this whole thing was a joke, really sad if not!
Also, in your other vid I'm surprised the helmet stayed on that women's head when she "immediately" dumped the scoot! I expected the damn thing to have rolled it's way down the block soon as it met the tarmac! Note, the video came to a quick "Cut" as she rose to a stand :oops: :oops:
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

I have to believe the Darwin award one was staged. How could anyone be so totally inept? What do you suppose was at the bottom of the hole?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

What a dipshit

Mind you, you would wouldn't you. If she ever shut up
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

My daughter wants to ride my PCX, so she is taking the MSF course this weekend, and I'll be attending the class with her.
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

All Right!
My 16 year old daughter and I just passed the MSF course together. Now my sweet little girl is going to want the keys to the PCX for her own private rides!
What was I thinking?

We had a class of 11, and all 9 of the people whose first language is English passed.
One man was born in Vietnam, and another man was born in China. Both of them seemed to have a language problem in the class. I felt very sorry for them. When the instructor said NOT to do something, invariably the two men would do that very thing, obviously thinking they were being instructed to DO that thing. Also, they did not pass the knowledge test because of not understanding the English language test questions. Obviously they both had driver's licenses, because here in Washington State, there is always provision for people whose grasp of English is not perfect. Unfortunately our MSF course was not forgiving for English-as-a-second-language people.
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

former50cc wrote:All Right!
My 16 year old daughter and I just passed the MSF course together. Now my sweet little girl is going to want the keys to the PCX for her own private rides!
What was I thinking?

We had a class of 11, and all 9 of the people whose first language is English passed.
One man was born in Vietnam, and another man was born in China. Both of them seemed to have a language problem in the class. I felt very sorry for them. When the instructor said NOT to do something, invariably the two men would do that very thing, obviously thinking they were being instructed to DO that thing. Also, they did not pass the knowledge test because of not understanding the English language test questions. Obviously they both had driver's licenses, because here in Washington State, there is always provision for people whose grasp of English is not perfect. Unfortunately our MSF course was not forgiving for English-as-a-second-language people.
If the class was anything like the one I took I'm not sure how anyone can fail. I can see why the ones in your class would since they didn't understand the language. The written portion of the test was extremely easy and I missed one because I simply didn't pay attention in class when that particular point was reviewed. Just make sure you get at least equal time on the PCX since it is yours. I think riding is such fun I hate to stop. As long as the mileage is so good I don't mind the occasional fill up (1-1/2 gallons) I'm sure it'll cost more for maintenance than gas. We'll see since mine is new and I haven't reached the point where first maintenance is due. HAPPY SCOOTERING!!!!!!!
nobylspoon

Post by nobylspoon »

I will be taking my MSF course on Thursday and Friday. I have been on the fence between a PCX150 and a Buddy 170i but I think I will be getting the PCX this week. My dealership currently has it on sale for $400 below MSRP.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

former50cc congratulations to you Both!! Answer to you're question...."What was I thinking?" Like a good Father, "you" wanted to see that Big Smile on her face Too! :P Looking into me crystal ball, I see a sweet 16 year old getting the prezzi of her life (I just can't seem to make out the color though :roll:).
Father/daughter riding together............Priceless!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

nobylspoon, welcome :) and good luck with your upcoming course! Relax, pay close attention and you'll do fine. Have Fun!!
About the Buddy vs PCX....hmmm, if gn2 pops in here, I think he'll give you some straightforward info on the pair (should you need a boost in decision making :roll:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

No he won't. :|
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ alrighty then, :? my mistake for offering "your" input ....scusi
meissinger
Regular User
Regular User

Post by meissinger »

My 18 yr-old son, Nikolas, and I did the course week before last. 12 started, 12 completed (it was unusually cool, not in the 100's). Although Nik and I intend to ride the Yamaha Zumba 50 and the PCX 150, we elected to train on the Honda and Yamaha 125's and 250's the school provided. He had never driven anything that was non-automatic, so it was good for him to learn how to shift, and I hadn't done it in years, to the practice was good.

After two long afternoons (5 hours each on a Saturday and Sunday), I was so happy to hop on my PCX for the 20 mile ride from Selma to Fresno. It made me remember why I preferred the scooter over a "traditional" bike. Tomorrow, we take our paperwork to the DMV, and our M1 licenses are on their way.