Time for a New Tire?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Calculon
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Time for a New Tire?

Post by Calculon »

I was looking at my rear tire the other day and noticed it was fairly bald in the middle:

I presume it's time for a replacement? Is there a recommended tire and can I replace just the rear?0 The front still looks new. Thanks for any help.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Time for a New Tire?

Post by davenowherejones »

I like the Michelin City Grip 150/70-13. I replace about 2 or 3 rears for each front. I also mix and match brands. Size is not that important either. I did not like the 60 series tire but it works. Almost any brand is good enough.

I enjoyed the Heidenaus also. I ride a lot in the rain.

Over 100,000 miles on my Forza but I am waiting for a used rear brake calliper, its in the mail.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Are tires still hard to get in the USA?
Calculon

Post by Calculon »

Thanks all for the replies. Is this the right one?

https://www.motosport.com/product/?cc=u ... -X001-Y001
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

That is a good rear tire. I would get the 150/70-13 size.

My City Grip 2 was a Mud and Snow tire, bonus for all the crappy weather I ride in.
canthai
Regular User
Regular User

Post by canthai »

I have a set of Pirelli Angel Scooter on my Forza
Excellent grip wet and dry.
Attachments
pc.jpg
pc.jpg (131.14 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
Calculon

Post by Calculon »

Thanks for the replies. It looks like the Pirelli is less expensive, so is there any noticeable difference between the two? The manual says the rear tires size is 140/70-13M/C 61P, why would I want to get a 150/70-13? Thanks again.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

the 140 size is hard to get, the 150 fits
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I currently have a Pirelli Diablo Rosso Scooter Rear Tire 150/70-13 on my scooter. Same price compared to Michelin but it was available.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Rubber tires are so last century. I want carbon fibre airless tires that last 1,000,000 miles.
Calculon

Post by Calculon »

I went with the Pirelli as it was a few bucks cheaper and Amazon had it in the correct size.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I have a cold and am barely functional, might have had a minor stroke also.

The carbon Fibre mesh tires would probably wear out the roads. Our roads are bad enough handling rubber tires. They did something similar on the moon rovers in the 70's. It would be interesting to try. Who has a few million dollars to try this?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I recently got my motorcycle license back after a doctor in the ER said I was blind. He wiggled fingures and I was unconscious and did not answer right. I replaced the bearings on my front wheel, the balls were falling out. Runs better. I was recently declared PWD, person with a disability, (Brain Damage) it made me OK to receive government funded hearing aids which I get in a few hours.

The rear tire on my 2014 Forza 300 will need replacement again this summer. My PWD pension is very small. I am thinking of getting another Heidenau K66 150/70-13. I enjoyed the tire going to the Yukon. If I win the lottery I would like to visit my Biological mother in Waterloo Ontario and my Aunt, father's sister, in Charlottetown PEI. It would be a very expensive trip. I think my father's family owns a Yamaha dealership.

The Michelin City Grip 2 would also be a good long distance tire. Travelling is very expensive now and I have no money.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I rode my 2014 Forza almost 300 today, a little cold. I need a new bladder, too many road side stops, too many zippers to undo, sometimes in a hurry.

Carry on nothing much to see.

200 km to Lytton and back took me almost all afternoon, too many construction delays. some rain , some sunshine. Too much pain, too much brain damage, this is getting harder to do. The 179,000 km Forza did not break. I need a rich relative to leave me more money.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

my scooter muscles need work,, legs not strong enough . stomach needs muscles, bum got sore.. more riding, more looking at the rear tire, Bank account needs work. The pirelli was good in the rain.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

It is going to get warm next week, I am going to get down on the ground and mark all the wear bars with a white wax crayon

It always shows me how my rear tire is lasting. I might have to pay my whole CPP cheque for a new tire and eat hot dogs for two weeks.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I did a short ride today, my tire centre seems to be wearing quickly, tire is properly inflated. My Shocks are broken.

I tried to order a new rear tire at Fort Nine.ca but almost all of the 140 or 150/70-13's were out of stock. I Ordered a Kenda K434 tire for this summer. Avon also had a tire that will fit, maybe next time.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I tried to get a rear tire a little while ago. I wanted a Heidenau or a Michelin, both out of stock at Fort Nine in Montreal Almost all of the 140/70-13 where out of stock in all brands. The 150/70-13 From Kenda was almost the only ones in stock. My Pirelli Torro Rosso is looking pretty thin in the middle of the tread. I ordered the Kenda. Scooter tires are hard to get in Canada. American companies are not allowed to ship tires across the border for some reason so Revzilla is not an option.

I picked up the Kenda from the post office today. some of the courier companies will not deliver to the Village of Hope, BC, Canada, too far to drive.

The Kenda in my kitchen looks like a very wide tire, it is only a 150 but it looks huge. I bet it will be difficult to mount. I am not good at mounting tires, I am dyslexic and I struggle a lot with tires. I know how but my brain does not cooperate. I accidentally get it done eventually.

My pirelli might last another 5000 km but the risk of a flat tire increases as I delay the new tire. A flat tire would make me struggle to get the !@#$%^&* Forza in the back of my truck. How long do I wait?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I was trying to wear down my rear tire a bit more. I figure the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Scooter Rear Tire 150/70-13 had another 5000 km life left in it.

I was wrong. I picked up a screw today. I was just checking wear bars and found a big Robertson head screw in the tire. I still had most of my air. I was in the Parking lot of Mission City Canadian Tire. A Good place if you have money. A Honda dealer would also be a good place for a broken scooter but a much more expensive place.

I twisted the screw out and lost a little air. I had a rubber string plug kit in my tool pouch. The rubber string was kind of dried out. and the tube of glue was hard. I then discovered that I had left my wallet and cell phone at home. I had a couple of $20 dollar bills stashed on the bike and in my riding suit pockets. I do not know the phone numbers of any of my friends, the numbers are stored in the phone which I had left at home. I am going to put a few numbers and names on a piece of paper in with my insurance.

I really struggled to get the hole plugged with the sticky rope. I took off my boot and started whacking the inserter tool with the heal.

The tread seemed to be cracked in places. I might have hit a sharp pothole too hard. The delaminatation scared me more than the hole. I rode all the way home on the number 7 highway paved shoulder at 30 km per hour. I was 88 kilometers from home, it took me 4 hours with a pee stop.

I have a Kenda K434 ready to go on next. I have many injuries that are going to make it difficult to change tires. I am 64. My Forza has over 100,000 miles on it I should sell the scooter, I am not mentally fit to ride it. Too much brain damage. I have no money for this nonsense.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

two of my neighbours are retired mechanics. They took pity on me and mounted my Kenda tire to my Forza rear wheel. I had scratched up the wheel so much that I did not expect the tire to hold air. We put air in the tire and I put some soapy watch on the bead. Last time I had major bubbles. This time I cleaned up the wheel a lot. The tire seems to be holding air since Friday. I will wait until Monday before I put the wheel back on the 2014 Forza almost 300. Looking good so far. I will still put some orange tire sealant in the tire to help with the balance and to handle minor punctures.

I am getting too scared to go very far from Home. My brain damage makes it harder to solve breakdowns. I need a major lottery win. I have no money, my disability pension is not big enough to live on. Inflation sucks.