An OEM belt lasts 10,000 miles on the dot. How long do NCY rollers last before needing to be replaced??

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

An OEM belt lasts 10,000 miles on the dot. How long do NCY rollers last before needing to be replaced??

Post by grndslm »

Self-explanatory title....

Have a 2013 and a 2016 PCX.... both of them snapped belts almost immediately after hitting the 10k mile mark.

I'm about to order a couple replacement belts for both (free shipping today, plus I'll have both of them ready when they snap next year!).... but I'm wondering if I even need to order replacement NCY rollers, or just let them keep rollin' until the NEXT time the belt snaps.

Also... on the subject of belt / roller maintenance, a buddy of mine mentioned that I should swap to a kevlar belt, and it will last longer than the 10,000 miles. I Googled it and saw that *when* a kevlar belt snaps, it'll do more damage than a stock, OEM belt. Is that why OEM is *not* Kevlar?
comecamino
Year: 2011

Re: An OEM belt lasts 10,000 miles on the dot. How long do NCY rollers last before needing to be replaced??

Post by comecamino »

10000 miles in my opinion is a very little distance. But I think everything depends of your driving style ...

personally the belt that I have installed has almost 18.000km without any cracks, but where I live (Germany) going faster than 30mph is almost impossible and doesn't make any sense (small streets) and the weather is quite cold, so the transmission at the end doesn't get too hot all the time du to constant strain.

Before waiting the belt to snap, I would reccomend you to relax your right hand :lol: and open the transmission case one in a while, first of all to clean all the dust and then check the belt.

You should look for cracks in between the tooths you can google to see how it looks like. :) Some cracks will appear and that's acceptable but when these get noticeably deeper it's time to replace it.

BTW, Im using right now a Dayco belt, for my JF28 and I ordered a Polini just to try it in the next service... lets see how it goes.

I would reccomend you to buy also a Gates PowerLink ... Imho the OEM Honda is a good one but not better in any means compared with other known brands
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Re: An OEM belt lasts 10,000 miles on the dot. How long do NCY rollers last before needing to be replaced??

Post by grndslm »

Right... I'm usually always riding open throttle, around 65 to 70 mph, sometimes as high as 74 if I'm drafting or the wind's at my back.

I burn thru Michelen City Grips at around 8,000 miles.

I feel like it's worth it, tho, as I'm not aware of any possible alternative bikes that might be better... Other than the PCX160 or ADV150.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I replaced my original belt @18,000+ miles, came off looking in great condition. It's a double sided web style and no cracks and measured the correct width. Others have ridden 10,000's miles and not many say their belt regularly snaps.
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

I would like to know the alternative belts model numbers, like the Gates PowerLink, for example...

Or if the kevlar belts might help or might even hurt by causing more damage in the long run...

I might upgrade to the PCX160 if I can find one in the U.S. I'm definitely riding these bikes pretty hard.

Maybe opening the cvt cover up and cleaning it might help, but I haven't made that part of my maintenance schedule yet. I'll have to try that...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

The consensus on kevlar 3rd party belts is stay clear - especially most of the Exxx rubbish, just spend the %10 extra and buy the original belt from a dealer or a reputable alternative. It's been covered here from time to time so you should find info using the search.
Honda would spec the life of the belt well within expected breakage - so if they say change every 10,000 miles it should last much longer than that in reality.
comecamino

Post by comecamino »

grndslm wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:31 am

I feel like it's worth it, tho, as I'm not aware of any possible alternative bikes that might be better... Other than the PCX160 or ADV150.

For city driving yes, you're right but... if I need to go any faster that 40mph I bught a fully equipped 2005 BMW F650GS for about 3500usd... I think driving a pcx all the time at 60+ mph is a torture to the engine plus, the fuel economy is the same at high speeds but this is another story.

yuminashi has the gates belt in stock apparenlty, idk if they ship to the us.

Good Luck!
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

comecamino wrote: but... if I need to go any faster that 40mph I bught a fully equipped 2005 BMW F650GS for about 3500usd... I think driving a pcx all the time at 60+ mph is a torture to the engine plus, the fuel economy is the same at high speeds but this is another story.
Mmmmmm.... Yea, No!!

After riding other bikes and then the PCX, I will never go back to a manual shifting bike ever. Either CVT or DCT... all.. the... Way!!!!

I've only sat on larger scooters like an Xmax 300 (altho, not a Forza), and that bike felt 3x heavier than a PCX just sitting there in the storeroom, even tho both of them have low mounted engines. I can only assume the Forza feels similarly weighted.

Which means that the only alternatives in willing to ride are a CTX700 (which *does* feel lighter than an XMAX 300, by far) or an NC700/NC750, which I haven't had the pleasure of sitting on. The CTX is comfortable, but sacrifices a great deal of storage. The NC has the storage I'm looking for... but I don't have a clue what it feels like.

When it comes down to it, tho.... I got TWO used PCXs with low, low miles for nearly $3,500. I've put 20k miles on my 2013 and only 7k or so on the 2016. Worth every penny for how I'm riding them. *Someday* I'll find a CTX or NC in my price range, but for now.... the PCX is the bee's knees.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

To each his own, I had the PCX I now have an X max 300, and I just sold my CTX 700. The X max doesn’t feel any heavier than my PCX moving it around the garage, and riding it. Putting it up on the center stand feels exactly the same as my PCX…And the 700 felt much heavier in all respects.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
comecamino

Post by comecamino »

grndslm wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:58 pm
comecamino wrote: but... if I need to go any faster that 40mph I bught a fully equipped 2005 BMW F650GS for about 3500usd... I think driving a pcx all the time at 60+ mph is a torture to the engine plus, the fuel economy is the same at high speeds but this is another story.
Mmmmmm.... Yea, No!!

After riding other bikes and then the PCX, I will never go back to a manual shifting bike ever. Either CVT or DCT... all.. the... Way!!!!

I've only sat on larger scooters like an Xmax 300 (altho, not a Forza), and that bike felt 3x heavier than a PCX just sitting there in the storeroom, even tho both of them have low mounted engines. I can only assume the Forza feels similarly weighted.

Which means that the only alternatives in willing to ride are a CTX700 (which *does* feel lighter than an XMAX 300, by far) or an NC700/NC750, which I haven't had the pleasure of sitting on. The CTX is comfortable, but sacrifices a great deal of storage. The NC has the storage I'm looking for... but I don't have a clue what it feels like.

When it comes down to it, tho.... I got TWO used PCXs with low, low miles for nearly $3,500. I've put 20k miles on my 2013 and only 7k or so on the 2016. Worth every penny for how I'm riding them. *Someday* I'll find a CTX or NC in my price range, but for now.... the PCX is the bee's knees.

Well i was telling my opinion about killing the poor pcx at high speeds. I found more atractive/convinient the idea of having a scooter for everyday use in the city thus lower speeds and extending lifespan, and an adventure bike to go on/off road as a weekend bike for a fraction of the price becasue be honest, the pricetag for a 300, and even a 700cc with cvt os DCT is waaaaaaaaay up high and I dont have any issues with clutches in fact I kinda like them depending on the situation . But that's my personal solution based on my tastes to a specific problem, problem btw is kinda present here because someone dont really buy a 125cc bike or even a pcx160 to go all the time on the highway wide open throttle. That's not gonna work in the long term honestly.

Yes, de PCX is the best decision for commuting and a very capable smooth bike, but come on.... for everyday highway use? I think you're skipping this part and overrating some capabilities
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

What exactly would I be overrating? I *am* using it daily on the highway, something like 44 miles round trip, every day, for 20k miles

Perhaps your highways are different... but they vary from 45 to 55 mph, depending on if I'm in a "town" or not... but regardless, everybody drives 10 to 15 mph over the speed limit. After changing rollers & drive face.... I hit 70+ mph consistently on either bike, the 2013 or 2016, even tho the gearing & displacement are both different between the 2 bikes.

Oh yea, I forgot another bike I'd consider, which is the Burgman 200, but it just seems soo large for what it is, and even used I see them for twice the price of used PCXes. I'm not aware of any other scooters sold in the U.S. that are both fuel injected *and* liquid cooled. These 2 are it There may be some Piaggio / Liberty scooters sold in the North or something, but I NEVER see those brands around me. And as previously stated, the two Honda DCTs are the only motorcycles I'd consider. Just me, of course... And it's not the clutch that I don't like, but the gearboxes on manual bikes... not being able to shift directly into neutral is simply a no-go for me.

At 70+ mph, I'm sure all 4 of these bikes I've mentioned get similar gas mileage... so when you can get one of them for half the price of the others and it DOES handle daily driving at highway speeds, uh, why pay more? Better two get 2 of the sub-$2000 scooters so that you can always have one going if belt or tire need replacing, IMHO.
comecamino

Post by comecamino »

well you can undo a screw with a butter knife in fact I used one for several days.... but i wouldnt reccomend people to use a butter knife to replace a screwdriver

The thing that I need for you to consider is that if you say that you're "eating tyres and transmission belts more often that the usual" is because of the constant strain that your bike is holding everyday. The cylinder, piston, and piston rings WILL die sooner and that's a matter or fact, an engine running at high RPM in a daily basis WILL cause wear more sooner than later.

The pcx is a motorbike that wasn't designed to be used on the highway all day at 70+mph .... and yes, it can hold highway usage occasionally of course but don't expect to reach that many miles without an engine rebuild at some point.

Talking about options there are 2:
One is the Forza 300 (now 350) has a good fuel consumption and it has all the extras that someone could want. It's a premium scooter and maybe the best in the segment. (but we're talking about 7500usd brand new)

The other option would be the Honda Integra 700-750. I don't know if you have that model available in the US. Used here can be found for about 4000€ and low mileage, I was considering it but I'm quite afraid of DCT gearboxes.
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

Not only is the ADV 700 not available in the States, but the Forza 300 was only sold here for 1 year, IIRC. Maybe 2014?

There's just not a lot of automatic bikes here for starters. And my decision ultimately comes down to the fact that I take this saying to heart: "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow." The slowest bike that goes 70 mph (safe speed) just so happens to be the PCX. That also is coincidentally the interstate speed limit, which I am able to jump on without worry from time to time.

Balls to the wall! If the synthetic oil doesn't hold, then I'll ride it till the rod starts knocking...
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

ive read that honda might be selling a 350cc scooter here in the not to distant future. Not sure when