New PCX 160 - is it getting smoother over time?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ThaiDriver
Year: 2022
Color: black

New PCX 160 - is it getting smoother over time?

Post by ThaiDriver »

Hello together,

I got my first new PCX two days ago, but I am really surprised about the stiffness of the bike. I feel every bump in the road and the driving experience is not nice. The roads here in Thailand (Koh Phangan) are also not the best ones, but even with the Click125 I had before it was much smoother.

In the Honda shop they told me that the shocks are not adjustable. So we put lots of air out of the tires. Now it's a bit better, but still not good. And driving with less air in the tires is for sure not how it's meant to be...

Since I had a pretty rough back injury, I really need a comfy bike.

Question to all experienced PCX drivers here: are the shocks getting a bit softer over time? Since it is a brand new bike, might be just a bit stiff in the first couple of days?

If not, I would change the shocks to something super soft. Which ones are the best option to get a super soft and back-friendly driving experience? Do I then just change the back ones or the front ones as well?

Thank you so much!!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: New PCX 160 - is it getting smoother over time?

Post by Jge64 »

You will get some people saying the shocks are OK, I thought they were complete crap …/every speed bump that I hit went straight up through my back. There are many reasonable sets of shocks you can buy in Thailand that will solve your problem the YSS G series is a good selection.

https://bikerzbits.com/honda-pcx-160-ys ... tj-02.html
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Beachboy
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2022
Color: Red

Post by Beachboy »

I really didn't see any more stiffness in my new 160 over my old 2019 Hybrid. Seems fine to me.
Life's a beach in Thailand
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2019
Color: Silver

Post by dankly1 »

post deleted
Last edited by dankly1 on Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
Iron Butt Association #80052
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Silver

Post by dankly1 »

+1 on the YSS shocks. I like them much better than the stock ones on my 2019. There was a lot of discussion on here about people swapping the springs to even lighter ones to soften the ride. Contacting YSS direct there in Thailand would probably be the best bet. I'm sure it will be much easier than it is here in the US.

Also, before I changed my shocks I did find that the stock suspension did soften up over the first few hundred miles. Good luck!

Cheers
dankly
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
Iron Butt Association #80052
op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by op3l »

My stock suspension 2018 PCX has just passed 14k kilometers and I've noticed the bike's suspension has mellowed out. Like the rear springs have gone softer so I'm not feeling EVERY little bump which makes for a smoother ride. Far as I can tell, riding characteristics still good and not overly soft. I just don't feel every single bump anymore.
Mon-Eye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021
Color: Red

Post by Mon-Eye »

Yeh the standard rear shock after 5k on mine are still way to soft and don't have enough damping or travel. Front forks are way to soft and dive way to easily. My next mod with be a longer travel rear shock set with way better damping and higher spring rate. No one seams to know the standard spring rates on the new 21 model that I've found. Will also strip the front forks and increase the spring rate and oil viscosity too. Standard bike just bottoms out over mediocre bumps and most off my ridings on country B roads. I'm also 194lb without leathers on so probably over the weight the bikes aimed at too
CBR1100XX blackbird (modified), CBR929RR Turbo, CBR600F Sport (modified), several beta trials bikes and endurance bikes