Starting Problem

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Honest V
Year: 2022
Color: Grey

Starting Problem

Post by Honest V »

Hi all and thanks for the add.
I bought a lovely new 125 Pcx last month and it has the keyless starting system. Most of the time this works fine but occasionally the bike just won’t start.
I rode it to the petrol station today and filled up and when I went to start it wouldn’t turn over.
I ensured the stand was up, turned the dial fully clockwise and the display illuminated as normal, pulled the rear brake lever pressed the start button and nothing happened.
I tried turning the ignition off and back on again, waiting a few second for it to recognise the smart key but nothing until about the 4th or 5th attempt.
It’s under warranty so I’ll get the dealer to take a look but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and found a simple solution??
op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: Starting Problem

Post by op3l »

I had a similar problem on my 2018 PCX 150.

First of all, make sure you're pulling in the rear brake lever hard in. I don't know why Honda decided to make it so you have to pull the brake lever in so far to be able to start the bike... but make sure you're pulling it HARD in. Also check your key's battery, could be as simple as a weak battery in the key.

Next would be to get your starter checked. I had a few instances where the bike just will not start no matter how hard I was pulling in the brake lever. At first I thought it was a issue with Wi-Fi signals messing with the key's signal to the bike(it is a real thing) so I pushed the bike about a block... and tried a few times and it started. Then bike was fine for about I would say half a year until the local covid situation got out of hand and we went into lock down.

After covid lock down, my bike wouldn't start at all. Changed battery and still nothing. Finally got it to a dealer and after checks, it was the entire brushless starter(ACG starter I think?) that had to be changed out. Like including the wires that connected to the plug in the bike, the entire thing. My bike at the time was still under warranty too... But I ended up paying about $90 for it to be replaced cause the warranty process is just a hassle with them having to take apart my PCX again to take photos and what not.

So since yours is new, I would suggest having them check your ACG starter to see if there's a fault somewhere or a loose connection somewhere.
KJDL
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: Starting Problem

Post by KJDL »

SOLVED 😎😎
My pcx 150 was not starting, similar problem to others. Tried brake levers, side stand etc etc..... One day it was so embarassing, I moved the bike away from friends about ten feet or so and put the brakes on.... Boom!! Immediate start.
Now I do this every time, and get an immediate start😁
Don't have to move it much, just pop it off stand and move couple of inches, then brake.
Must be the little jog of braking, not sure exactly what is happening but I know it works 💯% every time for me.