HELP! Coolant Drain Plug snapped off inside the hole

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

JPCX
Year: 2016
Color: Red

HELP! Coolant Drain Plug snapped off inside the hole

Post by JPCX »

I was changing my coolant in my 2016 Honda PCX and I overtightened the coolant drain bolt causing it to snap off inside the hole.

Obviously I need to order a new screw/cap now...but how the hell do I get the screw out now? I'm so mad at myself right now. I didn't refill the coolant and I'm going to wait until I get this out to do so. Including a picture of how it usually looks too.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 4.03.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 4.03.29 PM.png (209.85 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 4.02.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 4.02.57 PM.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 2412 times
JPCX

Re: HELP! Coolant Drain Plug snapped off inside the hole

Post by JPCX »

Can I glue the top cap to it and try to gently unscrew it?
JPCX

Post by JPCX »

My other idea was to heat up a flat head screwdriver and press it into that to try and create a "flat head screw". I don't have an electric drill.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

If you don’t have an electric drill it means your tools are relatively sparse. Take it to a body shop or an auto repair place and they can have it out in 30 seconds with an EZ out tool. Order a new plug before you take this one out.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
JPCX

Post by JPCX »

Jge64 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:28 pm If you don’t have an electric drill it means your tools are relatively sparse. Take it to a body shop or an auto repair place and they can have it out in 30 seconds with an EZ out tool. Order a new plug before you take this one out.
It turns out my girlfriends dad has a drill. I'm probably just going to buy a set of those extractors for it and ask him to help me out. Ordering a new plug and a bunch of other little spare parts to have on hand just incase for the future.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

JPCX wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:55 pm
Jge64 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:28 pm If you don’t have an electric drill it means your tools are relatively sparse. Take it to a body shop or an auto repair place and they can have it out in 30 seconds with an EZ out tool. Order a new plug before you take this one out.
It turns out my girlfriends dad has a drill. I'm probably just going to buy a set of those extractors for it and ask him to help me out. Ordering a new plug and a bunch of other little spare parts to have on hand just incase for the future.
If you're getting an extractor (or extractor set), consider getting a matching reverse drill bit (or set) to go with it. Reason being that if you need to use it on a broken steel bolt or stud in the future, the reverse bit will likely back out the bolt/stud by it's heat/torque and prevent needing the extractor. It's a real pain if the extractor snaps off.
JPCX

Post by JPCX »

It turns out it's a plastic bolt and there's already a little hole going down the middle of it. I asked my gfs dad to take a look and he suggested the easy out tool as well and it'd be a piece of cake for him to remove. Wish us luck. New plug should be here in a week or so and we're going to wait for it to come before we take the old one out. This is what it looks like: https://www.cmsnl.com/products/bolt-drain_90103get003/
JPCX

Post by JPCX »

Update: I ordered the bolt from RevZilla and they cancelled my order as it turns out they don't actually have the part available. Is there another place I can order from?
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

https://www.powersportseast.com/Parts-A ... b278dd5b51

Order from your Honda Dealer...............free shipping if picked up at Dealer.
Mon-Eye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021

Post by Mon-Eye »

Yeh set off extractors
left handed drill bit
small drill and tap a Allen key ot torx bit in
Very very mild heat with it being plastic and a pick or screw driver to rotate it

For new plug just got to a dealers or phone them i imagine it won't be alot at all
CBR1100XX blackbird (modified), CBR929RR Turbo, CBR600F Sport (modified), several beta trials bikes and endurance bikes
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2019
Color: Silver

Post by dankly1 »

I'm not sure where you're located but PartZilla and Amazon both show the plug is available.
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
Iron Butt Association #80052
JPCX

Post by JPCX »

I'm in the US. I ordered from my local dealer and they said the part's on backorder and they don't know when it's estimated to arrive. They gave me another dealer to call, same story. PartZilla just shows "ships in 2-3 days" on my end, but other parts say "In Stock". I'll try Amazon.
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2019
Color: Silver

Post by dankly1 »

FWIW, I have found that PartZilla's estimates of when things will ship are pretty accurate.
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
Iron Butt Association #80052
JPCX

Post by JPCX »

I checked their website tonight and it now says it'll ship between April 21st and April 28th now. :(
JPCX

Post by JPCX »

My dealer just said he's guessing 2 months as Honda couldn't give them a date...

Based on the photo I provided above...do you think I could just drain the rest of it from the bottom and fill it up with new coolant while the broken bolt's still in there? Then replace that coolant again when the new screws come? I'm not sure if this would work as there's also an o-ring that came off with the top of the bolt. I still have the o-ring and it's in good shape. I'm just kind of nervous about letting it sit for another 2 months because I don't want the inside of the radiator to become corroded or anything.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Guessing that o-ring normally keeps it sealed. Evidently there is corrosion on the inside of the plug holding the coolant back?? If you do what you
mentioned........fill the system and run the scooter............probably a few test runs "local" would give you a chance to test it. If it holds while up to
temperature after several attempts..........might be OK till the plug comes in. I wouldn't flush the system though until the new plug is in.