Coolant / Final Drive Oil

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

JPCX
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Coolant / Final Drive Oil

Post by JPCX »

Hey all. I'm looking to change the coolant and final drive oil in my 2016 PCX150 for the first time and I'm trying to make sure I'm using the right stuff.

I saw Mitch's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oNMirMiJls) of him changing the coolant in his PCX and he used the gallon pictured below. I went out and bought it from my local auto part store since there's no Honda dealers around me. Is this coolant good for my PCX?

Also, where can I order final drive oil from? or which should I use? Thanks in advance. I'm still new to maintaining this beautiful bike.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 4.23.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 4.23.33 PM.png (564.54 KiB) Viewed 755 times
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Coolant / Final Drive Oil

Post by Jge64 »

You can use any 10W-30 automotive oil in the rear end, there’s very little pressure and no combustion so it lasts forever… Don’t overthink this.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by pxc-in-japan »

I do not know the coolant you showed a picture of, so I cannot say whether it complies with Honda's specs for the PCX, but, my official PCX manual says this...
Pro Honda HP Coolant or an equivalent high quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing silicate-free corrosion inhibitors.
The coolant system volume is smaller than most people imagine. You do not need a 5 litre container.
I used a cup of coolant and about the same amount of water, which is enough.

Gear oil for the final drive is not recommended by Honda.
The manual says...
Pro Honda HP4M motor oil or equivalent
API service classification: SJ or higher.
JASO T 903 standard: MB
Viscosity: SAE 10W-30.

I use Honda's G2 semi-synthetic 4-stroke engine oil in the engine and final drive.
(Some makers do specify gear oil for this job, but Honda does not.)

As an aside...
I changed my (2015 / 150 PCX) final drive gear oil at 16,000 kilometres (10,000 miles) and the used oil came out grey in colour, which would be from tiny metal fragments coming off new parts.
I changed it again at 27,000 kilometres and it came out almost the same colour of the new oil going in.
Then again at 61,000 kilometres (38,000 miles) and it came out the same colour as new oil, so I will not change it again until at least 100,000 kilometres or 62,000 miles.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/staninjapan/408151]Image
JPCX

Post by JPCX »

pxc-in-japan wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:29 pm I do not know the coolant you showed a picture of, so I cannot say whether it complies with Honda's specs for the PCX, but, my official PCX manual says this...
Pro Honda HP Coolant or an equivalent high quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing silicate-free corrosion inhibitors.
The coolant system volume is smaller than most people imagine. You do not need a 5 litre container.
I used a cup of coolant and about the same amount of water, which is enough.
Unfortunately, all coolants I've found in places like autozone and oreilly's only come in the gallon size. :(
As an aside...
I changed my (2015 / 150 PCX) final drive gear oil at 16,000 kilometres (10,000 miles) and the used oil came out grey in colour, which would be from tiny metal fragments coming off new parts.
I changed it again at 27,000 kilometres and it came out almost the same colour of the new oil going in.
Then again at 61,000 kilometres (38,000 miles) and it came out the same colour as new oil, so I will not change it again until at least 100,000 kilometres or 62,000 miles.
I'm only at around 2,600 miles, but I'm unsure if the previous owner ever had these fluids replaced. I've been on top of the regular oil changes at least. Should I even bother changing it with so little miles then?
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by pxc-in-japan »

As JGE64 said, there is little pressure, for obvious reasons. There is no combustion anywhere near this part, unlike in the oil sump just below the pistons.

I suggest that you do as the manual says - replace once every two years.
If you are like me, you want the bike to do years and years of service - mine is used every day on a 35 mile each way commute.
In that case, replace your final drive oil at somewhere between 5 and 10 thousand miles and then every 20 thousand miles thereafter.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/staninjapan/408151]Image
JPCX

Post by JPCX »

Definitely want this beauty to last years and years.
I used to live in a city where my commute was 5 miles or less at all times, which is why the mileage is so low. I'm in a place now where I'll easily be doing 30 mile joyrides alone.

So I should replace the final drive oil every 2 years, or do I do it between 5-10k miles? I'll order the oil you mentioned online. Thank you for the help.