Brake Pads (aftermkt)

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Brake Pads (aftermkt)

Post by easyrider »

I installed EBC brake pads serrated type for my 2014 Honda Forza.. They performed nicely however after about 6 months of wear (minor) they were making a buzzing noise everytime I applied them . I reinstalled the originals back on and once again quiet and smooth.. Noisless. Maybe there is a reason to stay with OEM.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Re: Brake Pads (aftermkt)

Post by mymitzi »

Noticed that Honda wants near $50.00 for those pads. Haven't gotten around to changing mine yet............almost 31k on the Forza.
Thanks for the heads up. Wonder if they picked up some grease..........or something.............[since they have been quiet for 6 months]........
Maybe a good cleaning, with brake cleaner and/or sandpaper would revive them?? Please let us know how it shakes out.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

What are serrated type? (Semi-metallic? Sintered?)

Was that on the front or the rear?

I put whatever cheap eBay pads I can get. Some last, some don't.

Honda is way too expensive and are not any better than eBay.

I had the sintered pads and they took forever to bed in. I like the organic pads.

I think a lot of the Chinese pads are mis-labelled as to what they are made of. ie Ceramic? Ceramic pads on race cars need 1000 degrees to even work. lots of bs.

The caliper pins needs lubricating every time you change the pads. I got about 60,000 miles out of the front pads once.

The rear pads need changing every time you get a new rear tire.

I current have 173,000 km or 107,000 miles on my re-built wreck 2014 Honda Forza 300. It is raining today otherwise I would be riding.

The Forza has a bad design on the rear brakes, the caliper is right beside the hot catalytic converter.

I have owned other scooters and motorcycles. The linked ABS brakes on the Forza can stop it very quickly. BTDT.

I always use both brakes but the Forza is the only one that wears out its rears more than the fronts. I think it is that almost 300cc engine sitting on the swing arm.

The Forza runs well in the rain but at 62 I don't. I have thousands of miles in the rain.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I bought the sintered EBC . Had one groove down the middle separating the two halves The Honda brand was 47.00. and had 4 grooves.. I cleaned sanded them and even applied synthetic adhesive on the pad backing. Not grease.. In addition, I do not grease my slide pins but polished them smooth nice and shiny. I do not grease these pins because they are not enclosed in a boot. The grease outside of a rubber boot only acts like magnet for attracting road dirt, debris, and hinders the sliding action its designed to do. Grease only clogs up that sliding effect once muddied up. Still the noise came back. Went back with honda brakes and now smooth and quiet. Who knows why, but thats just my experience.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The grease goes inside the caliper not on the ends of the pads. There is a rubber boot on one of the pins.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Generally, Can't go wrong with OEM. Just that the price isn't right! : ) Thanks for the update.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I bought EBC pads from Ebay for £11 delivered, and the 2nd time from a dealer for £20 as they usually stocked these and had to order Honda ones. The 2nd set are lasting much longer than the 1st.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I do not have ABS.. My slide pins are on the bottom of the pad..No grease on them as they are exposed to outside environment. These are also on front wheel. My brakes are not dragging just making a buzzing sound whenever I applied braking force. Could be something with these pads perhaps the design only had one groove whereas the Honda pads had 4 grooves. The material on the EBC was tan..The Honda was dark grey. Just some observations.
Also HONDA was 2x the price almost.
fullmetalscooter

Post by fullmetalscooter »

cheap eBay pads well they are hit or miss . The ones I got don't stop as the good in the wet unless you drag the brake to get rid of the water . Ebay is where I get oem or brand name pads cheaper then at stores.
canthai
Regular User
Regular User

Post by canthai »

Most riders here use OEM.
EBC has a presence here, but their products are more hard on brake rotors.
By the By - there is NO issue with the rear brakes on a Forza 300 from anyone I have asked.
One brake application will heat up the caliper more than hours of running beside the muffler.
jimmyb
Year: 2015

Post by jimmyb »

Good practice is to apply copper cote/slip, of similar named product. This copper based product is not grease, and will help prevent bi-metallic corrosion, keep parts moving, and will not harm the braking surface if it comes in contact with it. It will also act as an anti-squeal medium. Professionals have used it on brakes (and other moving parts) for years.
Keep the rubber side down

Regards Jimmy B
Honda Forza 300 (2015)
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I ride in the rain so often that I think if I had a dirt bike braking system it would work better.

I wish the rear pads were in a place that this old guy could actually see.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I ride in the rain so often that I think if I had a dirt bike braking system it would work better.

I wish the rear pads were in a place that this old guy could actually see.

I use copper stuff but I think all of the dirt counteracts it.

I am not a pretty boy who only rides in 75 degree sunshine to Starbucks and then spends hours polishing the scooter.

Yesterday I did 250 km in the rain and muck riding through the mountain highways of British Columbia. I put the scooter away in the dark where the salt water destroys my machine.

174,544 kilometers of abuse to the 2014 Honda Forza 300 and 62 years, 8 months and 26 days of abuse to the rider.

I am that guy who wants to skid slide sideways into my grave with a completely worn out body and exclaim, "Woo Hoo, What a ride!!!"